• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crusty

crusty

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

Just an update for all you thinking about buying underwater housings for your cameras. I sued Seacam and Ed Ivey on February 28, 2006 in Westminster, California Small Claims Court. Judgement was in my favor in the amount of $3700. No where in the judgement did it require my returning the housing to Mr. Ivey, but I did, in the hopes that he would pay me sooner. Of course, once I returned to Hawaii, Mr. Ivey quit returning my phone calls and emails. He lied in court to the judge, he lied to me, and he lies to everyone who visits his website. Beware! I recently received an email from Meng Fye Wong in Singapore who has had a similar experience -- paying for something that never arrived and not getting his money returned. DON"T send this guy any money for anything! If you are looking for a housing there are plenty of reputable people out there who will build a housing from the ground up and have it to you within a few weeks--a reasonable amount of time.
Chris Rust

#2 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

Perhaps this would be better titled "Fraudulent Distributor"?
---------------
Mark

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:25 AM

Wow, Ed really went down that slippery slope.
Very important to anyone buying over the internet. PAY WITH credit cards. That is your first and best protection. If they only accept PAYPAL, find someone else who can take VISA/MC. AFAIK, only AMEX covers you with PAYPAL, and barely.
Caveat Emptor.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1541 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

Why fraudulent distributor. This isn't Seacam the German guys, this is a custom housing guy in SOCAL that makes housings for video, not for still cameras.

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

Why fraudulent distributor. This isn't Seacam the German guys, this is a custom housing guy in SOCAL that makes housings for video, not for still cameras.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was NOT made at all clear in the original post. I thought he was talking about "the" Seacam, too. THanks for clarifying.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#6 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:15 PM

Perhaps this would be better titled "Fraudulent Distributor"?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I stand corrected. I also understood that you were speaking of the big boys...
I'd be really careful with postings like this.
Perhaps you might want to edit the original before is gets crawled too many times.

It really is unclear to whom you refer.
---------------
Mark

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

Actually it is quite clear. Seacam Subsea Systems is the name vs Seacam, the Austrian manufacturer.
Seacam Subsea is a manufacturer of housings and also sells pelican cases.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:10 AM

I cannot stress enough what scubadru stated. Pay with a credit card only!! I have had two recent charges made that I was able to "control" with my Visa. When the disputes happened, I was able to get remedy to my satisfaction.

jb
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#9 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:37 AM

Chris - I knew what you meant in your subject line, but maybe if you put "video" somewhere in the subject line there might not be ambiguity. Seacam (Austria), the product line we distribute, makes still camera housings and accessories only.

Thanks to all who pointed out the potential confusion.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com