#1 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 05 January 2003 - 06:08 PM

Imeant EOS 1Ds... Dixloxik!

It would be asking too much for a housing I suppose as it's a bit of a beast?

Thanks Simon.

#2 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 12:48 AM

I assume you mean the 1Ds...

Secam is working on it

Seacam Web Page

The Website is in german and there are no infos beside they are working on it on the page... maybe you can send them a E-mail (office@seacam.com)

Bye
Simon

#3 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:57 AM

Yes, please starting working on it now, in three years when that camera costs less than my car, I'll be buying one!

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 08:43 AM

Stephen Frink posted on here a few weeks ago and I asked him about the Seacam housing for the Canon. Here's what he said about it:

As for the Seacam housing for the Canon EOS1Ds, Austria is still saying March or April for housing introduction. I know we have several pro shooters very eager to get one NOW, but housing production is a rather tedious process it seems. Still, using a camera that powerful will be exciting for sure, and no doubt change the face of editorial and advertsising photography.

Just imagine, $8,000 for the camera and probably about $10,000 for the full housing setup. Sigh...well if you're a pro and the business can and will pay for it...

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:53 AM

How could anyone who is not making a lot of money off of it afford the camera and housing. People think I'm nuts on what I spend on UW photo gear and I wouldn't even imagine it. Can't imagine there will be many buyers so it will be a very limited item. :)
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#6 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 11:02 AM

And because it's a limited item and they can't amortize the tooling costs, the price will be higher, so less people can afford it, so...

Vicious circle indeed.

#7 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:31 PM

Well they made several housings for the Nikon Super pig - F5 so I am sure there will be more than 1 coming along soon.
Hopefully under $3000 and on par with the S & S Nik F5 housing - Hope so cos I want to use them in Komodo ASAP.

I would have prefered to wait for the Minolta Dynax 9D but we will cross that bridge soon no doubt.

BTW The bodies in UK are 7000 retail.

#8 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:23 PM

Is this a superior camera to the 14N? What are its advantages?
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#9 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:28 PM

Hi Kasey,

I do not know personally - never seen a comparison, but where does one draw the line? The decision for my Eos's was made for me, as I mentioned I would rather have waited for the Dynax.

To answer your question this unit is the full 35mm chip equiv of the Eos 1v plus a few more uprated gizmos, knobs and dials for digital. I think the 14N just makes bigger files.

Cheers,

Bob

#10 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 07:56 PM

I am very happy with the D60 and will hold out for another Canon in the future. Does anyone have the Kodak yet?

Shot last week with the D60 - no editing as I do more harm than good.

http://www3.photosig...o.php?id=560508

Shot last night
http://www3.photosig...o.php?id=590037

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 January 2003 - 06:09 AM

Hi Kasey,

The Kodak 14n is based on the same camera body as the Fuji S2pro and the Nikon D100. It has the CAM90 (I think that's what it's called) autofocus system - which is not Nikon's best. Nikon reserved that for their D1 of course...:-) The camera body is also plastic with some metal parts. The 14N has a 14 megapixel sensor designed by a company called Fill Factory in Israel I believe.

The Canon 1Ds is based on their top of the line EOS body with their best autofocus system. It has a huge buffer, fast sync speed, and is built like a tank. Literally. It has a magnesium alloy unibody design and is environmentally sealed (alas, you still need a housing...:-)

Now that the Kodak is slated to sell at $5,000 MSRP, the difference is about $3,000. If you're a pro photojournalist, it's probably worth it. For underwater, it may not be. No one can really say until Kodak actually releases the camera.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#12 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 04:29 PM

I wrote Stephen Frink earlier this week about the 1d/1ds housing. He repeated what was reported earlier, that they were close, but probably wont be out til late spring or summer.

As for price, it is not announced, but he expected it to be on par with the D1x housing, which would put it at around 4.5K for the housing only. Fully equipped for a couple of lenses you can expect to pay around 10-12k for a seacam housing and strobes. (when you care enought to have the very best) :P

http://www.stephenfr.../seacam/prices/

Theres the link to the D1x price sheet.

Someday I will own a 1ds housing..... :) One can dream

#13 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 04:57 PM

Bob,

There are some things a man just has to have (just don't tell my wife)!

I expected around 3000.00 per housing but have plans just to buy the one. I appreciate it won't end there as all the add-ons tot up to another 2000.00!

I will be using one or two TOR Canon system stobes in housings initially depends how good the camera is at WA.

#14 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:55 PM

[QUOTE]There are some things a man just has to have (just don't tell my wife)![QUOTE]

All I can say is WooT! :)

I now have a new idol! I wish you luck keeping that one from the better half.

I would try that, but unfortunately my sweet wife is from Texas, is a crack shot, and on occasion finds it amusing to remind me that "We don't divorce our Husbands in Texas Sweetie, we just bury them" :P

#15 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 04:08 AM

Bob,

I looked yesterday on the pricelist UK-Germany handed out on the BOOT (i just bought a D60 ;-) ) and have seen, that they list a D1s Housing for (im not sure ) 3500 or 3800 .

Simon

#16 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 06:28 AM

I wrote Stephen Frink earlier this week about the 1d/1ds housing.    He repeated what was reported earlier,  that they were close, but probably wont be out til late spring or summer.

As for price,  it is not announced,  but he expected it to be on par with the D1x housing,   which would put it at around 4.5K for the housing only.   Fully equipped for a couple of lenses you can expect to pay around 10-12k for a seacam housing and strobes.    (when you care enought to have the very best)  :)

http://www.stephenfr.../seacam/prices/

Theres the link to the D1x price sheet. 

Someday I will own a 1ds housing.....  :D  One can dream

Forget the Seacam strobes - they are just Speedlights in a housing - better off with some nice Ikelites or Sea&Seas.

Also Seacam is notoriouly slow in delivery - especially outside Europe.

If you can get your hands on them though, the quaility is outstanding - it is just getting your hands on one (and paying for it).

M

#17 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:03 PM

Forget the Seacam strobes - they are just Speedlights in a housing

Not true! The Speedlight is shown on the picture on Stephen Frink's site to show relative size. The Seacam strobes are basically Subtronic strobes in Seacam cases. Please see:

http://www.seacam.co...e/suwblitze.htm

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.