#101 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:59 PM

Nick,
Re the record/pause button, i have not had any issues so can't help out. I probably have about 150 dives...so less than you.

Re the double push zoom, i have always found this to be inconsistent. Frankly i don't like the mechanism....would much prefer something more variable and adjustable. However, since i don't zoom much, it hasn't been a big issue.

I suggest you contact L&M on the issue. I may be at ADEX and could probably carry a board over for you if i did.

-shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#102 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:04 AM

Thanks Shawn. Have just emailed L&M about it.

I will probably be at ADEX so if you come it would be great to meet up. If a new board is forthcoming then it would be great if you could bring it. Alternatively I may be able to pick one up from L&M Singapore distributor Scubacam in May. Cheers

#103 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

Nick, have you replaced the batteries in the handgrips? The controls start to get sluggish and inconsistant well before the batteries are dead. I replace mine at the first sign of trouble, and before a big trip.
Dan
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#104 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:36 AM

No Dan, not yet. I'll try that. The double-press problem has always been there.

#105 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

after about 250 dives i am getting just the same problems, i changed the batteries but it stays the same
GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging

#106 peacedog

peacedog

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

After a couple of hundred dives the operation of the record/pause button on my right hand grip has become inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't work. It has to be pressed really hard and deliberately to be sure it works, as if the contacts inside are wearing out or contaminated. This cost me a couple of special clips on my last trip. Sure there's the same button on the left side but I'm totally used to using the one on the right grip. Anyone else had any trouble like this?

Nick:

Funny you should mention the record button on the right side. I've got about 100 hours on my unit and a few weeks ago when i was in the Bahamas the same thing started happening with me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In any case, I have to really press hard on that thing to get it to engage at all. These days I'm just adjusting to the left hand button because I don't have enough down time to send it off to Light & Motion. My Lights button on the left side has never worked. I guess I looked at it kinda glass half-full, because the results I'm getting with this unit have far outweighed the little inconsistent-sees.

I thought it might be a battery that needed replacing, because I've been using that thing pretty hard since October. Maybe it's something else, though.

Greetings from Provo...
Sony Z1U
L&M Bluefin HD
LiquidAssets TV

#107 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Looks like a pattern emerging here. I'm guessing it's wear or contamination/corrosion on the contacts in the button. I've emailed L&M and will let you guys know what they say.

#108 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:53 PM

Also sent word to L&M that this is a pervasive issue. Expect to hear back shortly.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#109 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:45 PM

Shawn,

It's Easter weekend - it may be a few days before there is any one at the L&M office.

#110 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

Thanks Russ. Great to see L&M represented again directly here on the forum!

My single weight on the right side is still in the same place as it was before the problem started so I don't think that alone is the problem. But I haven't tried new batteries yet. Will do.

Russ, what depth might start to cause trouble with the older weaker springs? Mine was fine at 46m. I don't want to get stiffer springs if I don't have to since I got extremely achy thumbs using my mate's Amphibico VX2000 housing for a liveaboard trip. That had stiff springs behind the buttons. Also because the stiffer the spring, the more likelyhood of a wobble at the end of each clip.

#111 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:43 AM

Ah, Ok, the change was Jan '06 not '07. Thanks.

#112 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Another possibility may be salt crystals making the buttons stick. After every dive while submersing the housing in fresh water, I press all the buttons in/out about 5-6 times, take it out of the dunk tank and press all of the buttons in/out another 5-6 times, and then repeat the entire process all over again. My buttons all work great, and I have the pre-Jan.06 springs installed. I just now learned of the heavier springs.
Dan
Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#113 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

A change of batteries in the right hand-grip fixed the record button issue for me, so it must have been a weak IR signal as the batteries started to flatten. Brumpy, maybe your replacement batteries were already a bit flat?

#114 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

Hi Russ, thanks but those batteries are easy to get and pretty cheap here in Phuket. I've CC'd you on an email to Paul Barnett about this. cheers

#115 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

You know, I still haven't fully grasped the behaviour of the double-press of the zoom buttons to get a fast zoom. The cadence seems absolutely critical, and it seems that the first press after a delay doesn't seem to be recognised as the first of the 2 presses. But sometimes it is :wacko: When I'm in a hurry to re-frame before some marine life disappears this can delay me.

With reference to future L&M housings of this type, I was thinking that I would happily sacrifice the momentary auto-focus button on the left hand-grip (there is also one on the right grip) so that this could be used to control the zoom speed. You would hold down the button at the same as the zoom buttons on the right grip in order to get a fast zoom. If I remember rightly Amphibico did something similar on their VX2000 housing.

Some sort of vari-zoom or (my personal preference) access to the mechanical zoom rocker would be even better, but I think what I'm suggesting would be preferable to the hit-or-miss double press.

How do other users feel about this?

#116 johnny boy

johnny boy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, U/W video,

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:58 PM

Yep I agree. My Bluefin 950 was the same and so is my FX1. I'd rather go for some sort of manual control. I'd also prefer what Gates do on their housings for manual focus, just a simple dial connecting with the lens barrel via cogs! The manual adjust on the bluefins is hit 'n' miss.

#117 coloradodawn

coloradodawn

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:46 PM

You can get the best price & service from Backscatter. www.backscatter.com
Kent
Larissa Roorda, Denver-CO, USA

#118 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:53 PM

Here's something to look out for...

I recently did a month of shooting in Indonesia. At the end of one muck dive in the Lembeh Strait I noticed a drop of water on the inside edge of the Bluefin's top window :)

Basically a lot of that fine Lembeh muck had settled down in the groove around the window and finally interfered with the o-ring enough to cause it to leak :)

I wasn't certain if I could dismantle the window and clean the o-ring in the field without damaging something and blowing the whole trip, so I did a second dive to confirm, with the top of the camera wearing a nappy constructed of sanitary towels (pics below :D) and again I got a single drop of water :o

After a very helpful call with Paul at L&M I was able to remove the window by covering it in a folded tea towel and tapping it with a hammer from the inside. I then cleaned everything, regreased the o-ring, and it's been watertight since :)

However I have noticed that there is muck in that groove again so I do think it's something that could be improved in future designs of this type. Perhaps a secondary seal to keep out the muck, or just really tightening the tolderance between the window and the body.

Other than that the housing's still serving me pretty well :)

Attached Images

• nappy1.jpg
  • nappy2.jpg