interlaced to progressive conversion

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:15 PM

Magic bulet seems to be the one to use for FCP.

O well enjoy your testing while its raining :P
It's been raining here as well, some heavy showers...

I'm inside as well, working on a online shop . <_< O well diving soon in the next few days.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#22 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:27 PM

OK....test 2 underway

Done another QT file still 720x480i @ 25fps

Now I'm gonna run it through the MediaStream software to try deinterlacing from there and see what gives.....fingers crossed.

We only have one boat out today and four divers, none interested in Video especially on a low light day like today. So trying to sort this out to get better results. Mind you, a lot of rendering will eat into fast turnaround on projects.

Cheers,
M

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#23 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:26 PM

Go Mark...

Well I was going to go out and film some Floppy Whale Sharks but the boat filled up with paxs... <_< Conditions are flat and blue but overcast.... :P

Yes time.....we only use the quick 13-15 min low render time to interlaced for the day DVD's. Have found that if we encode at even 8mbps CBR some laptop owners complain that the DVD does not play properly. It's not the DVD's just their laptops have bugs, corrupt drivers or to many programs running to play the high rates...so easier to just encode lower....6mbps CBR.

Might start making them progressive though as it's only adds 10 or so minutes.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#24 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

Well this is all turning out to be a bag of bollox!! <_<

The problem lies in the deinterlacing abilities of FCP. I ran a 480i @25fps and its flawless, hardly that much different from the PAL still a very slight flickering on the edges and in the finer edges of any fonts etc, some small amount of bleeding etc. Maybe I'm just sat too damn close to this computer!!! BUT to the general viewer there is a much improved fluidity on the overall screen. Think I'll stay with this way until I can find/get a suitable deinterlacing software installed.

Been cruising online for shareware plugins to try but nothing gives.

Plenty of time on my hands at the moment due to low attendance numbers of divers. So you basically only get on boats if there's space? Pretty tough during high season eh? Or do you follow the boats out in your White Shark attack surviving zodiac???

Cheers,
Mark.

#25 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 08:38 PM

One thing in using the dgpulldown thing is that you can only make interlaced NTSC DVD's. Have you a laptop you can network to the MAC?

Kel my partner is always out there doing the day DVD's and I just go along for fun if there is space. There is always space for her, infact she has two boats to pick from. She does well..$500AUS days many times :P .....
We just use the Great White Bitten RIB for fun and the occasional dive charter.

I'm just doing websites and have a couple corporate DVD's I'm working on. Was up in the plane yesterday flying all over the place filming Whale Sharks and the coast which was cool. We have some other stuff happening soon but cannot say much just yet.

#26 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

Only an old MAC laptop picked up from someone leaving Palau. Need to get a regular laptop for anything else I guess......MAC's are a good deal but I'm increasingly getting feedback from people on PC's, seems there are more varied and a greater selection of potential plugins and filters available for that platform. Pre MAC days I was editing on PC, DVMaster Pro with Speed Razor 4.7 which was a breeze to work with. Mind you with WindowsNT as a platform I used to get quite a few of those freaky Blue Screens Excites which basically stteered me away from PC's a bit. I've only ever had a couple of instances since switching to MAC's where I've experienced freeze up....

I understand the daily gig thing.....sometimes up to ten day boats plus two liveaboards from this dive shop per day to choose from during busy season. Work goes relatively Ok during that time, I won't tell you my record day to day as it may cause you to wet yer pants......needless to say I wish it would be more like that everyday but we can't have a perfect world.....not yet at least!!

So the upshoot from today is that I can make a 720x480i @ 25fps play smoothly on the timeline and then output that to NTSC MiniDV for a better than before image fluidity. For the progressive item I'm going to have to shop around for the appropriate plugin. I've tried about 6 variations today and I always seem to get linear distortion in the image especially when faster motions are in the frame. This is a pain in the arse to say the least. So for now interlaced is my only option. I'll get this cracked before long and let people know of my results.

Hope all is well. The order of the night is Pizza a few beers, thank God I don't take work home with me. I'd be sat up all night scratching around for a solution to this. That wouldn't go down well with the missus...... :P

Cheers,
Mark.

#27 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

Yeah!! My girlfriend hates it when I spend all night scratching <_< :P :D

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#28 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:56 PM

Yeh Dean but what are you scratching :)
I would of thougth you would of had a desktop..

If you go PC there is more range thats for sure. Ive done huge projects on this thing. Most locks up when editing are due to overheating...keep them cool..I have a watercooled fan for mine :)

I don't even run any virus software, just a firewall, been like that since 1999 :)
Infact all 3 networked computers are like that.
My system is all ghosted up so at the first sign of trouble, in goes the boot up floppy, bring back the backup, make a cuppa and by the time I have finished that re start the comptuer and bingo perfect running computer again with all problems fixed... Neve Never, Never save anything to the C drive.

Wow that's allot of boats to pick from, you need help there I reocnd. The key as you know is to be a very good people person and you will sell heaps. Even on days where there is no Whale Sharks Kel stills sell. :P

The 720x480i @ 25fps, you will need to run it thorught he pulldown thing or did you make a NTSC dvd with that file. It will only run at 25fps? Maybe it will still work on NTSC palyers as well being 720/480...

Me tonight...well I'm going out to this :P :D :lol: :) :D
Posted Image

#29 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

Yeah, thought I'd send down the tug for you guys to play on....got the mothership here for the wet season..... <_<

Just looking to see if the 480 @ 25fps will play on NTSC player so wait for that. Will post again tomorrow......had enuff of this 'puter for the day......closing down and going home.......

Is that one of the boats for whalesharks or just some private rich geezer in for the summer??

Cheers, have a good one.
Mark.

#30 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:03 AM

Ahhhhh, checked out the tug!!! Say no more.....

Tatoosh was here a couple years back and I went diving with the dive crew in Yap. They were doing a recce for a potential trip by the owner.....they never went to Yap. They were in Palau though for about two months. Apparently the helicopters were zooming all over the place ferrying his friends around.......how the other half live eh?

Mark.

#31 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:08 PM

Yes it's a huge rig but it has not ben doing much due the the horrible weather we have been having here. Have tried to dive a few times only to return due to the the bad conditions. Hope it comes good soon. <_<

#32 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, weather's been bad here too, viz down to 25m on Blue Corner...... :P

Well the films r done. Finally got things settled with Mediastream which handled the PAL>NTSC conversions really well, nice fluidity. Seeing as one of the films is a new piece on Mantas that was the biggest concern I had. New film with some never before seen footage from my Manta archives, mating attempts and general courtship rituals. Nice stuff.

Anyway, back to the drawing board. Just putting together a 45 minute rendition of the top ten dive sites of Palau, filmed over the past two years. Should come out well.

Hope the weather changes for you all out there soon.

Best,
Mark.

#33 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:15 AM

Vis down to 25 meters,,,ya bugger,,,,, :P 25 meter vis here would come once a year if we are lucky. Anyhow we have lots of life....and rain at the moment, I think we are begining to have a wet season..... :D

It has been cool roaring around in the 1000 hp V12 60 foot runabout :lol:

Did the 480 @ 25fps play on the NTSC player?

#34 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:02 PM

Not as smoothly as I would have liked. I made one copy at VBR 8.1 then another at 6.1 as I normally make discs at 8.1, I just have to tell people not to run other programmes on their computers when watching.

The 8.1 was a bit sticky on a standalone player but worked acceptably well, albeit for a few glitches on my G5. The 6.1 was better and the quality loss was almost undetectable. However for my work I prefer not to run the risk on variables so I redone the whole thing to NTSC standards and the end product on DV is very acceptable especially for the Manta sequences.

have fun on the boats. If its any consolation its back to the rain in Palau today!!!! :P

Mark.

#35 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:36 AM

Cam Diver,
I couldn't disagree with you more regarding 3rd party plug ins for PC or Mac. I am constantly being sent large amounts of plug ins for the Final Cut Pro suite from countries all over the world. I have more than I will ever need and these companies(looking for a review) keep sending me more. You name the filter, generator and effect and there are at least 15-20 different companies selling inexpensive to very expensive 3rd party plug ins for them. Go to the www.kenstone.net Mac editing site and click on software/tutorials and I think you will be surprised.
On the other hand, I rarely hear from my PC friends about any new plug ins they are working with. However, many companies like Digital Anarchy, Boris, CHV, wondertouch, CGM and more are smartening up and creating plug ins for both Mac and PC.
Steve B)

Hey, I just noticed....I've been promoted to Sting Ray status. A round on me!
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#36 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:23 AM

I like the candle girl :)

Steve you are the man, do you get to keep all that software?
So now I know what you do in your spare time. :)

#37 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 June 2006 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, I get to keep it. They always give me a permanent license or I won't write it up. If a book or something is not up to snuff (and that doesn't happen often, but it has happened) I let them know that, in good conscience, I can't give a positive review. The way I see it, and the way my publisher explained it to me, is that these people still put a lot of time and effort into their product and I'd rather say nothing than something bad. I still point out possible problems, like long rendering or something but generally do not write bad reviews. There is no money in this for me but it is nice to get all the product. Would love to retire from teaching and shoot, edit or write full time. Any job offers?
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#38 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

Hi Steve,
If you could point me in the direction of the post where I discredit either the use of or the ability of third party plug ins I'd appreciate it. These past tests were carried out using the tools I have at my disposal. I lay no claim to being an editor of any sorts. I shoot and attempt to get the best rendition of those images on DVD. If I in anyway sounded derogatory in any of my previous posts that was not the intention. Merely sharing my experiences.

Mark.

#39 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hey Mark....all is good natured fun...nothing derogatory at all. I just saw a post where you said there were more 3rd party plug ins than in PCs.

."MAC's are a good deal but I'm increasingly getting feedback from people on PC's, seems there are more varied and a greater selection of potential plugins and filters available for that platform. "

We all love and defend our platforms. ;-)

Don't give it another thought....I get razzed by my travel partner all the time because he is a PC and L & M person while I shoot with Gates and Final Cut Pro.

<;^--> Dive long and proper
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#40 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

Hey Im still using windows 95 :o :) :)

Yes we are all different. I did find it odd once that when I downloaded last year the next version of Dreamweaver on a MAC only to find that it would not run untill I had upgraded to the next Mac version opertaing system. :( Stuff like that annoys me. Also this year I did some work on a brand new Power Mac G5 only to find it crashed on me a couple times. Loved the huge screen though.

Unfortuantly PC's come standard with so much rubbish on them. you really have to get in there and fine tune them to make them work or build them up from sctratch. Brand names like Dell are the worse...they put all their own stuff on it and the viruse/ bug programs really slow the computers down and they seem to be getting worse every year. Symantec is real bad and I have even found bugs after I have down a complete update and scan with symantec with deeper running scan programs.

Away around this is to have the c: drive mirrored for easy 5-10 min rebuilds if hit with a bug, still quicker than doing scans and updates and even if you computer will not boot up you are laughing. I even keep a copy on DVD in the draw so I can even rebuild my complter system in a matter of minutes if I had to replace the hard drive. Ofcouse never never never never save anything to your C: system drive.

Hey I should go into prodcuction building systems usings this technique.

KISS....