• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10636 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

This video is in french but pretty much the vid says it all. Swimmers and snorkelers in the bahamas in clear blue water and the guy shooting catches a shark (they claim 8 ft but looking at it I'd say 6ft). Can't tell if it's a tiger or a bull but Julien Rocher says it's a tiger.
I doubt very much the shark was going for a bite... probably a bump since there were so many targets around. Still very interesting.

Julien Rocher's Shark encounter video

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:20 AM

Interesting. You never know....remember the white shark versus the mother killer whale? Until that, it was thought that great whites were the apex preditor. The killer whale killed and fed on the shark. You just NEVER know, the oceans are full of questions and assumptions.
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:31 AM

Hi Drew,

Check out the bottom side of the pectoral fins on the shark - they are black on the tips. Looks like a reef shark or maybe a lemon to me. In any case, the video sure plays it up a bit.

As to what it would have done once it got closer to the lady - it's a wild animal, so who knows. You've surely heard the quote: "Under rigourously controlled lab. conditions, the organism will do what it damn well pleases." :-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10636 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

Well Joe, after seeing orcas hunt down a shark myself, I'd say that with apex predators, the orca is the king of the apex.

Actually I have a problem with using the word "attack". Nobody knows what was on the mind of the shark, it could've been curious etc. A possible encounter would've been good but attack? Too much theatrics.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

Seeing as it took about an hour to play the damn thing...

I would also say reef shark

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

I looks like just a curious lemon shark to me...certainly not displaying aggressive behavior. Anyone who has been one of Abernethy's trips gets used to these little fellas bumping and rubbing up against you...the remind me of cats...curious and affectionate. A snorkler diving down would have accomplished just as much...sudden motion in the direction of the shark causing and warning of danger...hence the retreat. Labeling this as an foiled attack is a complete joke to me....just more shark sensationalism.
the lack of squared off nose, missing markings, lack of girth and color make this certianly not a tiger. The pointy nose with sqaut face, shape of pectorals and dorsal, along with the recessed and apparently sligtly protruding jaw make this very likely to be a lemon (which also has black marking under its pectorals). The other likely culprit is a curious caribean reef. Too bad they scared the poor fella away.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10636 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

eh, the sort of chumming in the water (esp the 2 swimming by) is enough to turn me off humans. :lol:
I seriously doubt a kitty cat's rub is anything like a shark's bump. I'm for breaking the myth but you won't see me playing with a wild tiger or lion unless it's with a 500mm lens.
Ok I did hang with a few cheetahs in Namibia.

Drew

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:39 AM

Har har I recond the shark got a glimse of what was floating up top and bolted....I know I would of. :lol:

It looks like a Grey Reef shark, black line down it's tail, anyhow I would not call it a Shark Attack, but I suppose if it went on TV... they do anything to dramatise up stuff now days.

The dolphin even looked like it was further back....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#9 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:40 AM

Cool...... interesting footage........ James and the others are right, though, the tips of the fins plus numerous other features - well studied, shawn - seem to imply a less agressive type of shark.......

maybe......

for us mere mortals, underwater fish ID will always be a very non-exact affair..... I'd refer the video to Gerald Allen and Roger steene and see what they say......

I'm with the consensus on a Lemon, though.

Good (home footage) stuff, though..........