6 replies to this topic

#1 PeterFalk

PeterFalk

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:44 AM

Hi there,

I wonder if you can help. I need to do an underwater (swimming pool) shoot for a magazine. Never having shot underwater previously, I made enquiries to Calumet re: the rental of underwater housings (I have a Canon 5D). However, the issue of 'insurance liabilities' was suggested as the reason they do not offer such a service. Which seems a logical concern.

Having also tried Alan James in Bristol (marine-cameras.com) found via Google, who does not have a housing in yet for the 5D - I am trying yourselves as a last resort/underwater oracle.

I was recommended here from photo.net.

Thus: is there the option of renting such equipment (and if so, does anyone know where/who).
Or: what would be my alternatives? I guess hiring a whole kit? (On the topic of which- it is not macro work that I would need to be doing underwater, rather it is a shoot with models & garden furniture (of all things) - hence possibly the kit most suitable may differ from kits optimised for macro/dive work?)

Thank you in advance,

P

#2 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2141 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:12 AM

Bad news!

Look around the website: talented photographers have real problems underwater, and a swimming pool is sometimes worse than the sea. Hire a photographer, not a camera! You can't just take terrestrial skills and make them work in water, I'm afraid.

To take pool pictures you probably need a housing with a an ultra wide (weitwinkel) angle (90 degree minimum) lens, an appropriate dome, one or two strobes on long arms with sync. cables. You also need to make sure that the pool has been freshly vacuumed, and that there are no visitors to stir up the scum. Then you get really close (50cm? 100cm) and bracket all the exposures and the strobe settings. Then you do it all again...

Look at back issues of the electronic magazine "UWP" for some great examples of pool photography: some of the covers have pool shots.

Tim

B)

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

Whilst I partly agree with Tim - it would certainly make your life easier to hire a photographer, I wouldn't necessarily give up altogether. If you have the opportunity for a trial shoot on a day before the models are hired, you might be able to figure out some of the techniques for yourself. I wouldn't want to try to do it on film though - definitely try digi.
I'm not aware of anywhere to hire a 5D housing, but you might try asking Alex Mustard (amustard.com) and see if he has any suggestions on where to get one?
Don't discount Tim's advice though. It really is a challenge you are taking on here - it won't be easy.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#4 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:29 PM

Another thought. You could try Paul Kay (www.underseacameras.com) sounds like you might even be able to hire him! to run the camera.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#5 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:29 AM

PeterFalk,

Have no fear - a rental 5D housing is here !

How many days do you need it for & when ?

Email me at peter@scubapix.com with your wishlist.

#6 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

I hire out 1DS outfits (+ myself usually!).

5D to arrive shortly too.

Suggest this discussion is moved to General Chat in future.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#7 PeterFalk

PeterFalk

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hi Guys,

Many many thanks for all the replys, leads and advice. I am bring the shoot up in next week's editorial meeting, so we shall discuss all the issues - hire (of equipment and/or photographer) and I will get back to you - and especially those who have kindly offered hire.

Anon,
P