• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:11 AM

My Webpage

I have uploaded a compressed version of my very first attempt at UW video. Take a look and tell me what you think.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:12 AM

Good first effort.... and now for the suggestions.
Lower your audio levels, much too high....you can hear the clipping
Keep your clips between 3-5 seconds....why so long on the boat?
What was the purpose for the shot of the crew in the background?
When you pan in one direction, do not pan back in the other direction
Skip the diver from behind who waves at the cam
Practice keeping that cam steady and try to get lower so that there is a slight upward tilt to the cam.
Have a theme, thus, unless changing that theme, your music should create a mood rather than serve simply as background.
Do not use too many different transitions, especially cheesy ones...there is nothing that yells out
'amatuer' more that an editor who tries to use every transition their NLE allows.
At first, try to keep your films to less than 5 minutes..do not fall in love with your own footage, you will find that by keeping a critical eye and cutting everything but the money shots your films will greatly improve.
Never shoot down on a creature, it just flattens out the scene

Forgive me if you feel I am being too harsh..but these really are suggestions that may help. You might want to read my article at: http://www.kenstone....er_douglas.html

Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hi, I have no prblem with any constructive critisism. Far from it. I know what you are saying about all of the points and yes I do agree. You know what its like, you have a new toy and want to use it. lol..... Advice like angling the camera slightly upwards is something that i would never have thought of. After reading it i can understand why.
The trip in fairness to me was just for me to get used to the video camera. I have never used one on land or whilst diving and booked the week in Egypt so i could take some footage, mess around a bit, put it online and get some feed back from people in the know. looks like I done well because you have given me some valuable bits of advice ready for the Galapagos in 6 weeks time. I will read your article right now. cheers for the advice. Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hey, glad you took the suggestions in the spirit they were given. The 1st time, wow, what a thrill. By next year I will expect you to submit something for the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival; you'll be a full fledged pro by then. Congrats on a whole new venture
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

yea no worries mate, i have just read your article. The more I read, the more knowledge I have, which can only be a good thing.