echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:21 PM

Posted Image

11 megapixels at 60fps or "2x over-sampled HD in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2"

Info and a bunch of links are over at engadget.

Video experts: think it's all crap?

From red.com:

RED RENDERS OBSOLESCENCE OBSOLETE
Modular and upgradeable, the RED ONE camera is a future-proof acquisition system you can build upon.  RED’s modular design means you can upgrade with us as we add new features, accessories and improve system specifications.

PIXEL SHIFTING AND UP-REZING NOT SPOKEN HERE.
Typical high-end HD camcorders have 2.1M pixel sensors and record with 3:1:1 color subsampled video at up to 30fps. We deliver 11.4M pixels at up to 60fps and record RAW, or 2x over-sampled HD in 4:4:4 or 4:2:2  – your choice. That’s more than 5 times the amount of information available every second and a vastly superior recording quality. Don’t need all that data for your workflow? Dial it back, and keep all the other advantages of the Mysterium™ Super 35mm cine sized (24.4 x 13.7mm) sensor. You get the same breathtaking Depth of Field and selective focus as found in film cameras. Mysterium™ boasts a greater than 66db Signal to Noise Ratio thanks to its large 29 sq. micron pixels. And 11,480,800 pixels deliver resolution that can only be called Ultra High Definition.

RED ONE is a modular design that easily accepts upgrades in hardware, software, storage, handling and monitoring accessories.

Shoot lightweight ENG style (body less than 7 lbs., in rugged magnesium alloy) or load it up to shoot a feature film.  Initial options will include RED-CAGE for mounting accessories and “growing” the camera body.  Configure for studio pedestal, crane or long lens applications. RED-GUN lets you shoot from the hip, or shoulder like a rifle. Onboard or external high-resolution RED monitors come equipped with advanced tools for framing, exposure and focus.  The RED ONE camera has numerous stainless steel mounting points on the body to allow hundreds of optional RED and third party accessories... some that haven’t even been dreamed of yet.

MSRP of $17,500 for RED ONE camera.

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:21 AM

Hey Eric..have you placed your order yet?

Not to many pics about it...
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:14 AM

They should name it "The Terminator". Of course Eric has one on order, all rich guys get the new toys.;-)
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

When and where will this Battle of the Pixels lead us?

At the end of the day a good camera in the hands of a good operator will shine. Too much information for the eye to register is basically superfluous to requirements. There's always gonna be toys for boys, pleasing to the eye and stressing our wallets. I for one will be making a decision which way to go in the coming weeks and will stick with that.

Still chewing over the Z1 L&M configuration or the HVX200 Gates option. I really think, although no response to my requests, that any issue relating to soft imagery and difficult workflow for the Panny underwater as experienced by certain moderators of this site is basically down to not having the required housing accesories. I'm still looking for a good monitor solution to this predicament and will post any findings.

For my work I have a market, whether my products are filmed in Hi8 or true HD using a CineAlta F950 I will always have those potential daily clients. Looking to expand on the pro front is in order to maintain my marketability in the La La world of TV or to continually expand my stock footage. My current VX1000E (now an antique) still shines and works perfectly. Its been confined to a life of solitary confinement in its housing, closed down in a humidity free environment to extend its life and thus far has surpassed all longevity expectations. I still sell footage from it, work with it everyday and film for commissions. It still sells and and has paid for itself many times over.

I guess my point is make a selection, don't keep getting distracted with new camera specs, they will arrive with accelerated frequency in this world of technological advancement. Be happy with your choice, learn the camera and it will serve you. Whether you're filming for your annual dive trip as a hobbyist, for promo gigs as a freelance producer, daily dive DVD's at a dive resort or as a seasoned pro dealing with all the indiosyncracies of this incredibly rewarding career field some choose to call "work" :rolleyes:

Just my rantings for what it's worth.
Best Fishes,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#5 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:39 PM

Great advice Mark. I must say I am jealous by the amount of water time and filming it sounds like you get to do....good for you!
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

Shawn... don't make me comment here!!! hhahaaahahaha

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#7 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:57 PM

Shawn,
I'm in the wet stuff every day of the week, except for drying out days to aviod super saturation. It is rewarding and I do get into discussions with clients on a daily basis. People diving with me who are also keen video enthusiasts are continually picking my brains about what would be the best rig to buy. I tell them the same thing as my previous post. A lot of people say "Nah, this camera is not that good" to which after a few questions I find they are operating it on full auto. What do they expect? Part of the 'secret' to good underwater imagery is the artistic eye of the operator. Only limited by your imagination the possibilities are endless. If you have the luxury of time in the water you have the option to try out new ideas, see what works and use it as and when the time dictates.

It's not down to the camera its down to the operation of the camera. Most people don't read the user manuals for cameras. They just think its a matter of turning the cam on and filming. Its so much more than that. It's this attitude that, to me, seems more like an insult to the camera, its abilities and the manufacturer.

Get into your camera and learn it. What you get out of it is a direct reflection on your level of understanding.

Have fun.
Mark.

#8 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Just when I thought it safe to post along comes some "son of a Veitch" to pee on my bonfire........

How's life Mike?

C'mon get philosophical.........
Mark
:rolleyes:

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:05 AM

Oh Crap..

I do not respect my camera, my housing, my dive computer, my citizen aqualand watch, my P.C, my DVD player, my mates PS2 or my car stereo Amongst others.

I thought it was just a MAN thing...

Crikey Marky your deeper than the abyssal plains. But at least you got respect dude :angry:

I'm having fun with my little one and finding out its limits and how to try and get around them.

Peace all...Word to your MOMMA !! :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#10 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:03 PM

****** HERE'S THE GOSSIP ******

I wrote to 4k the parent company for RED ONE. The work has already begun on designs for the housing. They were pretty sketchy about controls and potential optics for the unit BUT a company we all know and love has, since NAB, been working late into the night to get their machines ready to roll out the housings for RED. Just hope the housing ain't red!!!

Hint: I hope they also adopt the monitor solution offered by RED and allow for a suitable enclosure!!!

Yup, it's gonna be a Gates housing.

I had a message from Jim Jannard himself yesterday letting the cat out of the bag........watch this space.

Mark.

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

No one at NAB saw the working prototype. Just a mockup with a PL mount lens. It'll be fantastic if they can manage to produce this camera at that price, and they'll have to now that they took deposits on the camera and a friend has his on one with the cage and all. We'll see come Dec 2006.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hate going back to being a gear geek but just got an email from a buddy at IBC in the 'dam. He saw the Red One demo projection and was so impressed he put down his deposit. Apparently the 4k output is as good as the Panavisions and CineAltas. They've also announced a new 18-85mm lens to go with it. If true, this camera will give HD shooting a revolutionary twist. However still no working prototype til Dec 06 and then production in 07.
Hmmm 4k output at $17500. Sigh I have to sell my car now.

Wetpixel Red One discussion

Red One website

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:56 AM

Yup,
This camera will certainly put the "cat amongst the pigeons" so to speak. I've been keeping up with developments on their site and at the Red Forum. It all looks soooooooooo tempting. I think you'll have to sell more than your car though, unless you're driving a McLaren F1!!! All told its gonna cost around $35k at the most conservative to equip yourself with the required components etc. Then of course there will be the housing ......doesn't bear thinking about ....... :P

Cheers,
Mark.

#14 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:03 PM

think i can make a deposit with my Huffy?

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:59 PM

I read in a mag today that it is supposed to ship in Dec. The only one I know who will be able to afford it is Mark tho';-)
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:36 PM

Steve, what magazine is that? I'd like to know which magazine doesn't even do basic research before publishing. The prototype is going to be presented in Dec. Production is next year.

Drew

#17 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Bahahahahaaaa

Mark is going to be paying off his Z1 for the next 5 years.....

#18 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:30 PM

I have already ordered mine but then Kelly want's one as well so had to order another one :lol:

Making a housing now out of old Tupperware containers. :lol: :lol:
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#19 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:31 AM

Good one Mike,
Bought 'n paid for by the good divers visiting Palau.

RED One........Hmmmmm, just doing the math ............. Jeez, Steve, can you lend me a fiver?

Mark.

#20 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

Should have seen my girlfriends face light up when I said I was going to be getting a big red one :lol:

I didn't have the heart to tell her...

Like Mark said, after splashing out on lenses and housings its going to be an expensive trip..

Lets wait until Eric gets two then we can hire one off him for special members rates... :lol:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk