• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:50 PM

ScubaDru, the mag is the latest issue of Studio Monthly, vol 28 #9. In a short article by Matt Armstrong he says that 'is on schedule to begin delivery in December.' The problem is probably because all magazines write their issues literally months ahead of time before actual publication. I have a couple of articles coming out in the next 2 issues of Asian Diver and they were sold a couple of months ago but the issues won't be out until November,06 or Jan,07.

Another possibility is that Mark simply ordered too many of the Reds( after I lent him that fiver) which caused them to fall behind in their production schedule.

Take care all,
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#22 barra

barra

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:36 AM

RED ONE sounds like an unbelievable camera. I was wondering whether it will be all that practical in remote type destinations. For example I understand it will come with a 180 gig hard drive which will allow about 90 minutes of capture footage at its high 4K quality setting. If you were operating in a remote location for say 7 days and shooting 90 mins of footage per day how does one download each night to a secure backup media? Most lap tops dont have large hard drives and burning multiple DVDs appears impracticle (imagine how many DVDs would be required on one 180 gig download)? I suppose one could purchase 7 X 180 gig hard drives (1 for each day) but that would be expensive. Also it would be nice to know that the footage was backed up after each day. Any suggestions for storage in remote localities?

A further question. I understand that the camera comes with a 12 mega pixel CMOS sensor that produces a pixel image (frame) of 4520 X 2540 at its highest setting. That is a larger sensor than my 11.2 mega pixel Canon 1DS. In theory does that mean that a single frame taken from the RED camera will be of higher quality than that produced by my Canon 1DS? Or will other factors effect the image quality? If capturing footage on the RED camera (at its highest quality settings) can one obviate the need to also take stills of the same subject matter but instead take a single frame from the RED and use this for magazine publishing purposes? In other words kill 2 birds with one stone. Other possibilties exist - such as wicked panoramas with 2 or 3 frames stitched together (as a still).

I did pose some of these issues at the RED web site but as yet have not recieved a reply.

Any imput would be appreciated

regards,

barra

#23 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:44 AM

Merged into old topic.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#24 tonywu

tonywu

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:26 AM

Without fully comprehending the functionality, all I can say is...I want one. No, make that two.
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Vimeo | Blubrry

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 1D MkIV, Zillion housings + way too much other junk.

#25 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:06 AM

Without fully comprehending the functionality, all I can say is...I want one. No, make that two.

Sooo... Tony, if you buy two you can pay me to operate the second one for you. I have a great eye for composition, a steady hand, and like to travel... :lol: (and of course i like Singapore girls if you want me to relocate... :blush: )

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#26 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:42 AM

You guys are so slow..

We all ready have ours.. :blush:
We also put in a wireless gigabyte transmitter than sends the feed back to the boat then uploads it via sat to our server in our house onto our hardrive. When we get home we just edit... :lol:

Posted Image
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#27 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

wow.. that is soo sweet..

and they told me the only place more backward than Yap was Exmouth... i guess they were wrong...

:blush: :lol:

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#28 tonywu

tonywu

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:06 AM

ahh, but Mike, the pertinent question is...do Singapore girls like you?

#29 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:08 AM

I bet they love him for a long time.........

#30 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:27 AM

people like Mike ?

Girls like Mike ?

Mike can fford to be loved long time ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#31 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:42 AM

Oh and on the subject, I'm not sure I would trust a product from the Oakley guy myself .. .. As did everyone I used to own a pair of Oakleys, the blurb said .. " Bullet Proof Lenses" ... yeh right ... i got bored one day and decided to try this out with my .45 .....

no no .. not true i don't have a .45 ... but what is true is the lenses were coated .. silvery and polarised too .. I was a divemaster stuff gets wet.
In about a 2 week period my shades started to shed their coating. and the polarisation was deteriorating from the outside in .. I took them back to the shop, they returned them to oakley .. Oakleys response was ... " did he get them wet " .. apparently they were bullet proof but not designed to get wet.

How does that relate here .. I have no idea .. but i felt like sharing as I was traumatised. ... just don't get the RED wet ! .. probably best not to shoot bullets at it either !
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#32 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

ahh, but Mike, the pertinent question is...do Singapore girls like you?

i can be very persistant.... er i mean persuasive... :blush:

#33 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

I would suggest if people really wanna keep up to date on developments of RED they should take a look at the RED FORUM. They will be able to see the development of the camera and the whole issue of what this camera including its work flow etc will entail. This is a serious camera option, no auto focus here guys!!! Trouble is underwater operators will need tow monitor housings....one for the HD Monitor and the second for the Histogram ......... stereo monitors....... woooo hooooo.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#34 tonywu

tonywu

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:40 PM

i can be very persistant.... er i mean persuasive... :blush:

Uh, for the good of the entire continent, perhaps it's best to keep you quarantined confined to a remote island in the South Pacific...

#35 barra

barra

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:23 AM

I was kind of hoping that Scubadru might have been about to offer his opinion as he appears switched on in this area - and I enjoy reading his postings.
Since posting a represenative of RED has replied to me that there will be the option of up to a 320 gig hard disc drive. No answer on the quality of a single frame compared to the Canon 1DS still though.

#36 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 12:35 AM

Sorry Barra, I can't comment on cameras that don't exist yet. :blush:
The cynical side of me thinks it's the video Segway. Hype first, underproduce later. I mean taking orders before the prototype is even ready? That's the marketing man's dream.. and that's Jannard. Good thing he's so rich that he can buy his reputation back if it bombs. :lol:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#37 barra

barra

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:20 AM

Thanks Scubadru - I appreciate your comments - and caution!

#38 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:23 AM

Personally I hope this camera does come about. I'm very interested in its development and potential for underwater.

For any new kid on the block taking on the manufacturing giants there's always gonna be a lot of scepticism. I really hope this thing does prove to be the mutts nuts of cameras. Recent footage reports from IBC demonstrating the RAW 4K ability of the cam are very positive.

I guess once this thing is proved as a viable unit we'll then see all the nay sayers and sceptics jumping on the bandwagon heralding RED as their dream cam.

If it doesn't happen at least it shows that there are a few people out there who have the gonnads, and the cash, to look at introducing a very interesting option for filmmakers around the world.

Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#39 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:04 PM

Some Red One prototypes and docs were stolen last night from their HQ:
http://www.dvxuser.c...ead.php?t=72341

sucks!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#40 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

Sigh Eric... you know this will bring the 'conspiracy' debate here. :blush:
Nooooooo

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.