• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 06:46 AM

Well, I'm puzzled by the D40 rumors. I can't imagine a 2x crop factor. This would mean a smaller sensor, which makes no sense other than reaching a different price point. The whole point of less inexpensive SLR with interchangeable lenses would be to sell for SLRs, ergo more lenses. Making a new and distinct lens line to sell more lenses is less favorable than selling what you are already making.

Nikon digital rangefinder? Wow, now that doesn't make any sense either. All those Leica/Contax zealots could switch to digital, but they wouldn't, 'cause its not German.

I think the tone for the near future will be set with the D80 or D90 or whatever it is. Like it or not, Canon seems to be the current leader. They started out slow, but have now raced past everybody.

Sooo, how are the Sigma/Foveon sales going? :freak:
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#22 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 08:20 AM

Nikon digital rangefinder? Wow, now that doesn't make any sense either. All those Leica/Contax zealots could switch to digital, but they wouldn't, 'cause its not German

Hey !

I think digital is pretty german .... spell K-O-N-R-A-D Z-U-S-E ;-)

Greetings from Germany
Simon

#23 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 10:24 AM

Simon, you misunderstand.

There are all this Leica and Contax lovers who think that everything else is inferior, especially Japanese cameras and lenses. Most of these Leica lovers that think German lenses are the only good lenses aren't even German.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#24 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 06:24 PM

Sooo, how are the Sigma/Foveon sales going? :freak:

I don't know, but I just got an e-mail from State Street Direct offering a $300 instant rebate on the SD9 making the price $1499.

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#25 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 07:42 PM

I agree, a digital rangefinder makes no sense economicaly. but consider an consumer point and shoot with interchangeble lenses, a D100 sensor and a good autofocus system. Not much bigger than a CP5700 and similarly priced. Well designed it could take over the top end of the consumer point and shoot digital market. Small and compact enough it could make a great UW camera with the right housing. All pure rumor though. The idea makes a lot of sense to me. Puts Nikon at the top of a market before anyone else enters it. Seems like the same concept in coming out with DX lenses.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#26 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 05:55 AM

but consider an consumer point and shoot with interchangeble lenses, a D100 sensor and a good autofocus system. Not much bigger than a CP5700 and similarly priced. Well designed it could take over the top end of the consumer point and shoot digital market. Small and compact enough it could make a great UW camera with the right housing.  All pure rumor though. The idea makes a lot of sense to me. Puts Nikon at the top of a market before anyone else enters it. Seems like the same concept in coming out with DX lenses.

Isn't this where Olympus is headed with their SLR project? 4/3 sensor and internchangeable lenses to replace the E- series?

Mike Oelrich

#27 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 07:28 AM

Isn't this where Olympus is headed with their SLR project?  4/3 sensor and internchangeable lenses to replace the E- series?

Any update on this Mike? Lat I heard of the new sensor/int lenses was just rumour. Do we have any prototypes out yet?

Mark
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#28 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 07:48 AM

They had a "mockup" at Photokina last year and I read an interview with an OlympusAmerica rep not too long ago in which he mentioned the project. Nothing concrete yet, though. The party line still seems to be: "We are moving ahead with the project"

Mike Oelrich

#29 markh

markh

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 07:51 AM

The party line still seems to be:  "We are moving ahead with the project"

Or leaving their existing customers (like me) behind!!!!
Dirk Pitt taught me everything!!!!
E10/Titan housing/1 x Sea & Sea 90 Duo

#30 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 08:11 AM

Not necessarily. The E-series currently uses that "size" sensor and they've left open the possibility of maintinaing a "fixed-lens" version for the "prosumer". Only one way to know for sure . . .

Mike Oelrich

#31 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 04:13 AM

I decided today, that I'm tired following the rumors and ordered a D60 via German E-Bay.

Hope to get it tomorrow. But i will stay with my S40 for UW at least for the trip in March.
First need the 2400+ for the Housing and the ports.... :-(

Bye Simon

#32 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 13 February 2003 - 05:10 PM

Most of these Leica lovers that think German lenses are the only good lenses aren't even German.

NASA would be one of these then!

Leica have already released a digital camera using Panasonic electronics - It looks like the classic Leica but turn it around and it has a 2.5" LCD screen.

The images from the 4 mp chip are remarkable, this is down to the fantastic lens on the front.

What would be nice is a Nik V with 20mp CMOS FFC back.

#33 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:18 PM

Good for you Simon!

#34 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:31 PM

Check out Oceanbrite's page on the new Jonah housing: http://www.oceanbrite.com/CD60.htm

"We have discovered an excellent AFFORDABLE Housing for the CANON EOS D-60/80 Digital Camera and are now carrying the Jonah CD-60 Housing for those under water photographers that are using this CANON DIGITAL SLR Camera."

If this is true, and the D80 is the same body style, I am going to be SO HAPPY!

But this goes against it being based on the EOS-3 body...
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#35 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 03:45 AM

Eric,

That might be to good to be true.

#36 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 11:21 AM

I called Oceanbrite, they have no idea if the D80 will fit in the D60 housing. They did say they will sell a Jonah housing that will fit the D80, they just don't know when yet.

Next weeks the big week!