10 replies to this topic

#1 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:47 PM

I've been very behind on my postings (and getting all my unusual Indonesia slugs to be IDed by Leslie, egads!!), but with good excuses............ <_<

I recently found out that I'm going to have at least one of my recent fish photos from March in the new 4th Ed of Reef Fish ID, Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas, by Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach. Now the 4th Ed is still a ways off but at least one of my pics is IN!! Yea!! ;)

Lad Akins (ED of REEF) told me now I'll be (in)famous!! Yep it is the "infamous" thing cause everyone will say, I could have photoed that better in my sleep, or I have a better one than that....... :lol: , but actually not likely, the only reason I'm getting in the books is cause I have an ability or just "blind luck" to photo unusual species that haven't been photoed much (or at all) in their natural environs before. The only thing Paul and Ned want me for is unusual stuff......, see how it is???? :blink:

Plus the ReefNet guys - (those 'in'-famous Wilks); are going to use a number of my photos in the new edition of their ReefNet Fish ID DVD!

As Les Wilk told me, "Fame and fortune all in one fell swoop!".........., yea and I've bought it hook, line and sinker..... B)

See you don't need to be the greatest photographer in the world, or have the greatest camera set-up (I'm not a great photoer and I certainly don't have the best set-up, yet that is!....), but I was told by someone who really knows that my photos are "quite good". :) Still if you can find uncommon/rare stuff I guess you are in the club.... :D

Still it is fun, and now that I have everyone in "mystery" I think I'll wait till another day or so to attach "sneak peaks" OK? Really it is unusual, especially in this part of the world to find fish that haven't been photoed much....., but I have a good eye and "luck" and I did have really good coaching!

Later, Carol :rolleyes:

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#2 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

Congrats! I have many of my pictures of Brazilian reef fishes published on the 3rd edition (pages 462-479) and will provide more for the 4th, so we will have pictures on the same publication!

Now, come on, satisfy our curiosity, what is the fish species? :rolleyes:

Luiz

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#3 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

Its’ been a while since I read such a joyful post!

I’m glad you’re enjoying the moment and hope the feeling doesn’t wear off for quite a while.

A few more hints about the photographs would be nice though….
:rolleyes:
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#4 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:59 PM

Congratulations Carol. Looking forward to seeing the book.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:02 AM

Come on Carol - you have to tell us what the species is!

Congrats - that book is a must for any Caribbean diver.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:13 AM

Well done Carol!

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#7 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1600 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 05:22 AM

WTG, feels good doesn't it?
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#8 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:30 PM

awesome :rolleyes:

:blink: great to see someone soooo enthusiastic about their photos :lol:

#9 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6178 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:56 PM

Outstanding Carol!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#10 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:19 PM

Well done
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#11 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind congrats, etc.

I'm just trying to learn my new website format so I can post the pics with stories properly! The story of the fish species Paul Humann wants to use is really funny!!!!!! Again photoed right here in Florida!

I will post a couple of "sneak peeks" pics here though, but they aren't the ones Paul Humann is going to use.

These are a couple of uncommon searobins that the Wilks will use along with several of my other uncommon fish pics.

Searobins happen to be one of my fav fishes, at least as interesting as any fish I saw in Indonesia and right in our back-yards here in Florida, up off Georgia and down to Venezuela, etc., including some of the Caribbean!!

And from my experience I don't think they are actually as "uncommon" as the books say....., I'm seeing them on both coasts of Florida and off Georgia from the surf zone to 60 feet + depth.

I'll get more info on the "other" species that I photoed that have been selected soon.

Thanks, Carol

Posted Image
The leopard searobin (Prionotus scitulus) is listed as "uncommon" but I don't really think so, in fact I ran across a group of more than 30 of them in the Gulf at 60 some-odd feet, a couple of weeks ago, they were involved in some sort of social/territorial? interaction. Paul Humann isn't using this pic as he already has a pic of this species, but the Wilks are using it. I like this pic, cause if you have ever seen a searobin, you know they tend to "take flight" just as you get a good focus on them, this one was very cooperative!!!

Posted Image
There aren't many pics of the bluespotted searobin (Prionotus roseus) around but Paul Humann told me he photoed it in Venezuela and it will be in the new 4th ED REEF Fish ID. I've seen it off Georgia, and around Palm Beach, but this little guy (just one and one half inches in lengh - he is a juvenile), was photoed right in Biscayne National Park near Miami (see there is unusual stuff that hasn't been photoed right under our noses)......!! Again Paul is not using this one but the Wilks are. I think the bluespotted searobin is the most lovely of them all!! This juv doesn't have the brightness and really long "wings" that the adults have, but still he is interesting and a pic you don't see everyday! The adults are much more "striking" and hopefully I'll get a good pic of an adult soon!!!

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17