#1 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:26 AM

Hi all,

I've just purchased a new monitor (Belinea 102035w 1600x 1050, 800:1, 16:9) for reviewing my footage after rendering in the hope this would give me a better indication of the colours and resolution. This would save me taking my camcorder down stairs and plugging it into my T.V to check.

The only thing is compared to my older monitor (1200x 768) it looks over saturated with colour. O.k everything looks brighter and more vibrant, but in my opinion too much. I've tried messing around with the settings but its still unforgiving for, say, the background scenes where you can see lines in the water through the changes of exposure and abbreviations (Pixelations) in the brighter parts. Also where I fast pan to keep up with fish or birds its blurring.

Where as my older monitor is more softer with less vibrance and on my T.V there is no blurring on pans.

A) Have I jumped the gun again and should have, maybe purchased a 16:9 LCD T.V for reviews instead of a P.C TFT LCD monitor. Or are they the same.

B) Am I doing something wrong. If you drag a photo from one screen to the other the difference in cotrast and colour is unreal.

I've upgraded my graphics card to NVIDIA G-FORCE TI. I'm operating with a AMD ATHLON XP 2200+

My friend said it might be because i'm using a DSUB lead instead of a DV-I lead ??

Any thoughts out there. I'm starting to pull my freaking hair out.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 03:28 AM

Hi Dean

I had a similar problem when I first used a LCD TV connected up to my PC as a second monitor for reviewing footage. (all the colours were wrong, bluring etc etc). The quick fix I found was to connect it to the PC via SVideo lead. It gave a better representation of what I would actually see on a TV/DVD stand alone set up, although admittedly the resolution wasn't as good so there was some trade off.

I'm not sure if a LCD TV and PC monitor are the same or not, but it maybe something you can try out to see if it works better for you.

Cheers, Simon

#3 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:00 AM

Cheers Simon,

Just took my footage up to a friend as he has a year old Widescreen t.v. The footage looks fine although some of the sequences are a bit dark. But this is what I was hoping to see on the new monitor.

I will try it with the DV-I cable hopefully that will help. The monitor has no S-video link.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#4 curtisleo

curtisleo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 05:27 AM

What software are you using to edit on?

Some editing packages allow you to use the DV out of the PC, back to camcorders or decks, output to a NTSC/PAL monitor for live preview/realtime rendering. This saves me so much time testing after burning a DVD.

Pinnacle Systems - Studio 10.5+
Avid Liquid, Avid Liquid Pro, Avid Liquid Chrome HD,

All these above will allow you to have a live preview on a real NTSC/PAL monitor. The Liquid series will allow full surround mix with the proper breakout box. the Liquid Chrome HD will allow HD-SDI, SDI, analog.

DVI-I will give you a better signal over d-sub however it is only noticeable if you have cheap cables or need to extend over 6ft. Otherwise, it's very very close.

Curtis

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:32 AM

Hi Curtis,

I'm using Premier 6 to edit with.

I used to firewire the footage from my cam into the P.C then edit. Then preview by scart lead back through the cam to a 14" portable t.v. Which was fine until I went widescreen.

I thought I could drag the preview screen across to the new monitor thus giving it a better resolution to check colouring etc without going back through the camcorder to a T.V.... Although it does this well the colours are too vivid and over saturated. I will try re-calibrating the new screen to soften the colours down.

The only inputs in the new screen are:

D-SUB DVI-I 1USB-UP STREAM 4USB-DOWN STREAM

Which means (i think) no way of connecting the cam straight to the new monitor.

What I really should have looked for when buying was a S-VIDEO or SCART socket.. Pity this is a really nice screen.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#6 curtisleo

curtisleo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:06 PM

You actually need to send the signal back out for true QA of the video signal. Video signals are different between computers and television.

What you need is this.

Doremi HDSDI, SDI, DVI, to DVI converter

This will allow you to use your LCD monitor as a "monitor". You would be able to attach the analog from your camcorder, to the RGBHV-DVI-A connector and view it on the screen.

Miranda DV-Bridge - DV to Analog Converter

This will convert your DV out to analog. This is basically like using your camcorder DV-In and use it's on-board converter. Not all EU camcorders allow this. EU was afraid of people using it to make high-quality copies of analog sources.

I'm in the UK right now. I just hacked a SCART cable to attach it to my Liquid Pro analog box. I hate all these different standards.

Curtis

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

Good man Curtis,

I will look into the Doremi converter a.s.a.p..

Cheers

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:09 AM

Good monitors, like high end home theater settings, should be properly calibrated. They do not come to you like that. You can learn to calibrate it yourself but there is some training involved. In the states there is a calibration certification agency and there probably is something similar in the land of tea and honey.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:06 AM

"Tea & Honey" :D More like Beer & Boll*#ks :unsure:

Just had a web designer from next door come and work some magic. He's got it about right..

Cheers anyway steve...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)