13 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:01 AM

Here's 6-7 minutes of highlights from a Burma/Similan liveaboard I did with Santana Diving at the end of March.

http://video.google....174657279091520

This was originally a "taster" at the beginning of the 90-minute DVD. As an online promo it's probably a bit slow moving, especially the macro stuff towards the beginning.

Bear with it, the mantas and whalesharks are at the end :unsure:

Google's "streamed" version is 320 pixels wide but the "downloaded" version is 420 px wide so I recommend you do that.

Brutally frank feedback appreciated as ever.

Nick

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:50 AM

Nick
You have some great clips there, well done.
Love the clear water.
I recond I have swan with that same Whale Shark here :unsure:

Love the frog / toad fish or whatever you call him.

Did you shoot that with the Gates, abit of vignetting around the edges I see. Well you are not alone there.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:21 AM

Thanks Wags.

Yeah, VX2000 in Gates housing. From memory on fully wide it vignettes about the same as the Amphibico VX2000 housing.

I normally zoom in a bit to get rid of the vignetting but it's difficult to know when to stop when doing a zoom out (e.g. That young whale shark next to the boat).

Apparently that last whale shark, about 7m(?), is known as "big boy" and has been around these parts before. He(?) has a tiny v-shaped nick in the top of his tail.

That anglerfish has been camped out at East of Eden for the whole season.

Nick

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:19 AM

Great red frogfish clip and some sweet juvinile whaleshark clips as well.
Steve<;^--> B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 miguelvideosub

miguelvideosub

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:34 AM

Beautiful video, Nick, with pretty clips. The truth that I envy much your videos to have sites that you find much more fauna than the one than habitually encounter in my place. Congratulations and I hope to see more videos yours. :unsure: .. a greeting.
MIGUELVIDEOSUB WEBPAGE -VLOG
FEEDS Edit movies---Species

#6 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

Hi Nick

Really loved the video - the macro shots especially were outstanding. 10/10!!

The only other thing to say is that Google video sucks - I had to try at least 20 times before I could finally get to watch the whole film!

Cheers, Simon

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:26 PM

Oops, I've just put my top few vids on Google video and taken them off my own site to save bandwidth costs. Better think again I guess.

Is anyone else having trouble viewing it?

Thanks for the kind words guys.

#8 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:27 AM

Great stuff! Really enjoyed the macro and big stuff. Ater just getting back from Donsol...damn is your whale shark moving slowly....ours were like freight trains coming through. Beautiful vis as well.

Where were you diving with the WS?
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#9 Shasta_man

Shasta_man

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

No problem here viewing over a LAN

My only interest is higher resolution, but that's a future computing issue.

#10 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

Where were you diving with the WS?

The baby was at Fan Forest Pinnacle, near Western Rocky Island in the Mergui Archipelago, Myanmar. "Big Boy" was at good old Richelieu Rock, Thailand.

These were only my 2nd and 3rd whale shark sightings. Previous one was also at Richelieu Rock one year before. And that one took me 4-5 years of Andaman diving to see.

#11 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 04 May 2006 - 11:22 PM

that sounds more consistent with my experiences in thailand...they've eaten most of the whale sharks. good for you finding one that wasn't just a baby! We bumped into one in Bida Nai Phi Phi in Jan...what a nice suprise. we should dive next time I am in thailand.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#12 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:16 AM

Watched it a second time. Very cool.
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#13 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:27 AM

Hi Nick

The probelms I had with google video may be just at my end by the sound of it if no one else is having problems. I guess that's what happens when you try to use a wireless connection through 5 walls!! I just wish my wife would put up with the cable running through the hallway, but alas no! :unsure:

Cheers, Simon

#14 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1982 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:40 PM

Simon, The default "streaming" option on Google Video stutters here in Thailand too. But then so does video from embedded WMV, youtube and just about everyone else.

It's best if you click "download" on the right of the Google page. You will need to get the Google video viewer. The video will play and stutter as it downloads but once it's downloaded you can replay it smoothly.

The videos downloaded from Google are 480 pixels wide and based on Divx 5. They're pretty good as long as what you upload to them is good. The streamed version is only 320 pixels wide and not as good.

Nick