12 replies to this topic

#1 shaines

shaines

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Firefighter/Paramedic

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

The housing offered by H2O audio is for a player that is not available. Is there another or plans for a do it yourself job?

Steve
Stephen Haines
Steves Underwater Photos
Canon EOS 5D, Aquatica hosing, Ikelite DS-125 strobes

#2 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:59 AM

I understand that H2Audio make housings for a lot of ipods, old and new ones... Also, oceanic used to make one too (not for ipods), but I try their website and didn´t found it... maybe is discontinued..

#3 shaines

shaines

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

The H2O unit for iPods is for swimming only I think the depth rating for these is 10 feet.
Stephen Haines
Steves Underwater Photos

#4 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:37 AM

Yep, you´r right... Even the one oceanic promoted was an iriver mp3 player with h2o audio housing... So, this are the only ones I ever heard of...

#5 water buffalo

water buffalo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

iriver ( http://www.iriveramerica.com/ ) has a couple of different housings still available for a few of their older MP3 players. One is only rated for 10 ft. (SV-i700), but the other is rated for 200 ft. (model Deep Dive).

Browse to:
https://secure15.nex...et=products.asp

Here is some info on a bundle special which includes the iriver Deep Diver case and the iFP-340 MP3 player (USD$99):

Listen to your iriver 300 series MP3 player underwater. The fully submersible housing protects your player at depths up to 200 feet. It also delivers impressive sound to the waterproof headphones through the built-in amplifier. This complete deep dive kit makes it possible to listen to your favorite music or audio tours while you dive.
 Listen to music, underwater audio tours and more
 Fully submersible to depths up to 200 feet
 Water-proof headphones for underwater listening
 Built-in amplifier to boost sound at extreme depths

Bundle Includes:
 iFP-340 Music Player
 Earphones
 Neck Strap
 PC Installation CD
 AA Battery
 USB Cable
 Printed Manual
 iriver Deep Dive case for iFP-300 series
 Water-proof headphones
 Maintenance kit
 Replacement o-ring
 9V battery (to power internal amplifier)

iFP-340 Features:
 64MB Internal Storage†
 MP3, WMA, and ASF Music Files Supported
 Built-in Voice Recorder
 iRiver Music Manager for Easy Music Transfers
 Weighs 32 grams (without battery)
 Ultra small design (91 x 35 x 26.7 mm)
 USB connection to your computer

Deep Dive Case Features:
 Rugged, air-tight plastic housing
 Designed exclusively for the iriver iFP-300 series
 Fully submersible to depths up to 200 feet
 Water-proof stereo headphones
 Headphones easily attach to dive masks
 Built-in amplifier to boost sound at extreme depths

This is the best deal iriver currently offers. You can buy the Deep Diver case without the iFP-340 but it costs the same (USD$99). Pick up an iFP-390 (256 MB) or iFP-395 (512 MB) on eBay and use the same Deep Diver case. You will be able to download several hours of music to the player and enjoy the time spent hanging on the safety stop.
Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:57 AM

:lol: B) :lol: Why do people want to complicate their dive with an MP3 player? Isn't diving meant to "get away from it all"? You can always listen to music between dives. If you are that bored when diving then give it up, go buy a $1,000 MP3 player and enjoy a stroll at the park. :D ;)
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#7 shaines

shaines

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:12 PM

Very true. I want it for those long boring deco stops in green water with nothing else to do.

Steve :D
Stephen Haines
Steves Underwater Photos

#8 water buffalo

water buffalo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:05 PM

I was pretty skeptical of the “need” for music underwater too. It seemed like the safety aspect alone would put the device in the useless category. Not being able to hear a buddy or divemaster’s signal should be enough to keep a safety-conscious diver from using it. Then I read an article in Dive Chronicles magazine. ( http://www.divechronicles.com )

Volume 3 Issue 1 came out sometime in the first 3 months of 2005. It was also distributed for free at Beneath the Sea 2005 in New Jersey. The article was titled, “A Day Without Rain in the Pacific Ocean,” and described an encounter a diver had with a giant manta ray while diving in what he called a “blue water dive.” The author defined that type of diving to be in deep water, without going deep. He said the ray was attracted to the music playing on his MP3 player, in particular Enya’s instrumental piece titled “A Day Without Rain.” According to the article, he took over 170 photos on that dive while playing the tune over and over. Apparently The Doors did not have the same effect.

Underwater animals can feel something, even if they are not hearing like we do. Did you ever have an encounter with a marine animal and scare it with the sound of your breathing? Of course you have. So why can’t they experience some form of pleasure or curiosity too? That article suggests that at least some marine creatures do.

I would not advocate listening to music on an entire dive every dive. But why not on a deco stop, or why not if it got you a better photo op or close encounter?

~Jim~
Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125

#9 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for commenting Joe!

I had been biting my tongue for the last few days with this thread.

Maybe I’m getting old ;) -- I just can’t see wanting to listen to music underwater. While it is plausible, I can just barely justify listening to music on deco stops. It’s like going for a nature walk wearing a Sony Walkman – why bother.

When I read this post, I had visions of rare :) , obscure ;) , and even scientifically undescribed :D critters suddenly vacating my viewfinder because another diver with the volume on his/her ipod, turned up too loud, came over to see what I was photographing. :lol:

I really wonder what my reaction to that situation would be. :( While this situation already occurs with dive computers beeping at the most inopportune time, I sure (loud) music underwater would only worsen the situation. :lol:
Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#10 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:11 PM

Wonder if they make a spining disco ball that shinks to the tunes. That would bring in more fish as well. I was hoping for a housing for my fiddle as well. The bow will be a tough one. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Techdiving, spellunking, Recently uw photography

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:54 AM

:o  B)  :) Why do people want to complicate their dive with an MP3 player? Isn't diving meant to "get away from it all"? You can always listen to music between dives.  If you are that bored when diving then give it up, go buy a $1,000 MP3 player and enjoy a stroll at the park. :)  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well said! when im uw i want it the way its supposed to be peace and quiet.

#12 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:40 AM

How long before some muppet comes up with a housing for a mobile phone - on the positive side the signal strength after a metre or so should be pretty bad.

Suppose it will be a change from "Hi Honey I am on the train".

Tis just a matter of time.........
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#13 Seriola

Seriola

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Scientific/Research Diving, Marine Ecology, Jellyfish culturing/collecting, Aquarium Science

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:19 PM

well i know there's a housing for GPS units now for the scientific community, it has an antennae that you have to drag around though, goes to the surface.

as for mp3 players, we purchased a few here at the aquarium so our volunteer divers can listen to music while cleaning etc... don't know if anyone is really using them though and I'm pretty sure you could fit an iPod shuffle inside of one instead of the rio.
Wyatt Patry
Jellyfish Nut
Oly E330, Oly PT-E02 housing, 14-45 mm, 35 mm, Athena OPD-SZ14-42 Dome Port, Heinrich-Weikamp Bulkhead
http://jellyfishaquarist.com