• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 robbarker

robbarker

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

First impressions are very favourable indeed. It's a solid and beautifully finished housing. The castings are substantial and inspire confidence.

The housing is noticably smaller than the DX-D70 and has no seperate tray - the handles fix to the side of the housing itself. The result is a much more compact package which will be easier to travel with.

It has a leak sensor, unlike the DX-D70, and very solid and smooth feeling buttons.

I shall get it wet over the next few days (once this ear infection clears up - grrrrrr!) and post a fuller report - I'm going to do a full review in the new underwater photography forum on photo.net and on my own website once I've returned from the Red Sea in early June.

Attached Images

• dxd200_1.jpg
  • dxd200_2.jpg

- Rob

www.underwater-photography.org

#2 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:20 AM

Congrats.
Its looks handsome, much more beautiful then the D50 housing I sow.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#3 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

Looks fine. Any thoughts regarding the viewfinder, ports, and gear fit and function?
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#4 Reefwreck

Reefwreck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:48 AM

Looks fine.  Any thoughts regarding the viewfinder, ports, and gear fit and function?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. Also, are the handles removable for stowage?
TIA.
Michael.
Nikon D200, Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm with Nikon 6T Close-up lens, NEXUS Housing, Inon Z-220 and Z-240, Sea&Sea TTL Converter

BLOG

http://allenhost.com/gallery/reefwreck

#5 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:23 AM

Also, are the handles removable for stowage?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They should be, they are the same handle mouldings used on the film SLR housings. Mine's sitting in Florida right now waiting for a zoom gear...
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#6 robbarker

robbarker

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

Yup - the handles come off really easily for easy carriage. Two substantial allen bolts are used, with a split ring washer to keep the tension tight. An allen key is even supplied!

I set it up with a 12-24 zoom today to test out the gear action - it's very smooth and solid feeling.

The camera tray is a little awkward to fit as you have to line up a geared lever that operates the focus mode dial, but once it's on it's solid. Thereafter the camera fits the housing like a glove.

The viewfinder comes as standard with a 0.66 magnifier - I was able to see the whole image area, albeit with a tiny bit of vignetting on the extreme corners of the frame, while wearing a mask, and the viewfinder info is particularly clear.

The LCD window is very good - it's a revelation to have such a wonderful display and menu system available underwater!

I'm looking forward to getting this thing into the water..
- Rob

#7 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

I looked at this housing today at Reef Photo and Video and it is really nice. The D-200 is a great camera and the Sea & Sea housing is very compact with removable handles and should pack well when traveling. I highly recommend the Athena glass dome port made for this housing which is also available at Reef Photo.

#8 robbarker

robbarker

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:55 AM

To give an idea of how compact this housing is, here's a shot of my new rig stowed in a Kinetics 821 (carry-on legal) case.

I can get the housing with camera and geared 12-24 lens mounted, the detached handles, compact dome port and extension ring , two strobes, a flat port, 60 macro and 10.5 FE lenses, sync cord and flexi-arms all in one case.

Attached Images

• dx_d200_3.jpg

- Rob

#9 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 06:10 AM

Pretty sweet setup.....very compact

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#10 gadip

gadip

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

Rob,

Thanks for the pictures, I want to get one too, but I need to sell my D70 housing first :-)

I wonder if you have the Sea&Sea Big Dome port? and if you can please post a picture of the D200 housing with the big dome port (Fish Eye)?

I want to see how big the rig is when they set togther?

Thanks
Gadi
Gadi Porat
www.gadip.com

#11 diver21

diver21

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:20 PM

Way too much foam in that case...

Mine it loaded with so much equipment, that I think it would be lighter carrying rocks in it.

#12 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:49 PM

Interesting they already have the D200 housing out, but stated a few days ago they won't have the 5D housing out until next month or June. :P
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us