• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scubacarol

scubacarol

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

I have a Nikon n4004s, film slr. Looking for an underwater housing. Only one I know of is Ikelite's 6724 which was discontinued about 3 years ago. Any ideas where I might find one. None on e-bay at present.

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

Carol, I have an N80 and Ikelite housing including port. I have used it for about 12 dives (it is practically new). I have now bought a digi.

If you want, I can sell you the housing and camera complete (you can use your existing lenses) for $600. If this is in your price range, let me know.

I'll make another post with the lenses the port fits in a tick...
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

Hi Carol,

I'm prepared to be corrected here, but I reckon you might struggle to find many 4004 housings around. Most people probably housed 8008's or 90's when the 4004 was current technology.

Being a fair bit newer, the N80 is a bit of a step up from the the 4004. The autofocus uses 5 sensors in a wide diamond shape and is much easier to use underwater than the 4004 with its centre-only sensor would be. The N80 has a spot meter in addition to the usual matrix and centre weighted sensors which is useful for getting accurate exposures underwater. It advances film at 2.5 frames per second too which can be good for faster moving subjects. It also has automatic exposure bracketing which I couldn't live without underwater. Other than that, the specifications are very similar to your 4004, so it should be easy for you to use.

I made some great shots with this system, but needed to go digital for the faster turn around for jobs.

This is a great housing, but I no longer need it. I purchased the Nikon F80 camera with matching TTL Ikelite housing brand new less than 18 months ago. The housing alone cost me $1000 and the cameras still go for around $150 second hand meaning that I'm prepared to let it go for less than half price.

As I said, the kit is almost new and works perfectly. I have looked after it well giving it freshwater rinses and keeping the lube up on the control shafts.

The port that it comes with is a dome port including a shade and will fit a 60 macro, 18-35, 20-35, 24-50, 24-85, 28-70, 28-80, 28-100, 35-80 or 35-105 Nikkors. Dome port has minor scratches on the shade, but dome itself is clean.

I can provide instruction books for the camera and the housing and will be happy to give you advice about how to use it. Check my posting history here to see that I'm not trying to trick you.

Let me know if this is any use to you.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#4 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:27 PM

Hi Carol,

Just in case you aren't sick of me yet, here is a picture of the housing and port with camera inside sitting in the water :P

Posted Image
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com