• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:43 AM

This is a slightly contrversial one, but before the accident, if you had asked me my views on Sipadan, this is what I would have said.

Personally I think that Sipadan is not that biologically important. The amount of life their, though incredibly concentrated, is not that much from a regional perspective. I doubt that the reefs of Sipadan are massively important in seeding populations of fish and corals over a wider area.

What Sipadan is, is a biological wonder. A unique habitat, which supports marvellous and amazing variety and density of marine wildlife. The concentration of life on Sipadan makes it truly a wonder of the natural world and more importantly the diving world. Its value is as a showcase, a microcosm of why visiting a coral reef enriches humanity and shows people why coral reefs should be conserved.

I think an interesting parallel is Ngorongoro (spelling?) Crater in Tanzania. Which is another microcosm of concentrated wildlife. Both are natural wonders, but it is the bigger areas, like the Serengetti or the larger reef systems in the Sulu/Celebes Seas, that are more important from a biological perspective.

I guess what I saying is that Sipadan's value is probably more to the diving world, than the natural world. And keeping pristene as a showcase for coral reefs is important. Closing the island to visitors (which I don't think would happen) would be totally counter productive to its role.

Or maybe I am not making any sense at all! :P

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#42 Rin

Rin

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:36 AM

Actually, most of my buddies are talking about diving elsewhere than to the poorly damaged Sipadan.....Many told me that they can't imagine a dive site called "baracuda point" that is actually without baracuda....!!!!!

I now entitled Sangalaki as my dive mecca anyway......

#43 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:47 AM

:unsure:

Sad to see all of this. I will be heading to Sipidan/Mabul in August. I'll take pics of the damage and whatever is being done to help the area recover.

#44 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:35 AM

An update on the Sipadan story. It seems all the furore raised by the barge incident and the very public handling of it (and of course the malaysian political arena getting involved) has made Sipadan be put on the political spotlight. I'm sure the overwhelming public response to the damage was part of this decision and thus it is a victory (albeit microscopic on a global scale) for divers who have rallied to defend their turf.
Good for those who participated in the writing and a very heartfelt thank you from a fellow diver.

Infrastructure Projects On Sipadan Island Cancelled

KOTA KINABALU, Aug 2 (Bernama) -- In a decision that would bring cheer to divers and environmentalists, the Sabah government has decided to cancel all infrastructure projects on Sipadan island.

The projects to be cancelled include the RM4.5 million clubhouse and seafood restaurant.

Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman said only "environmental-friendly" infrastructure projects would be allowed on the world's premier diving spot in the future.

"We will come up with a new development concept that is environmental- friendly and suits (the island's) eco-system. We will announce it two or three months from now," he said at a press conference here Wednesday.

Musa said the new concept would be presented to the Prime Minister and the Joint Committee on Managing and Monitoring Sipadan island headed by Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Samsuddin Osman.

He also promised to personally monitor future development projects carried out on the island.

"I will be fully responsible in monitoring all projects on the island under the new development concept," he added

Musa said among the new projects being conceptualised were basic resting facilities for divers and the eco-friendly sewerage system.

On May 14, a barge laden with building materials for the clubhouse had damaged some 324.94sq metres of coral reefs at the divers' landing point north of Sipadan island.

Subsequent photographs also showed steel bars and other construction materials resting on the seabed near the island.

Outraged by the damage on corals, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi rebuked Musa on July 27 for defying his advice not to build a clubhouse on the island.

--BERNAMA

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#45 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

Well that's good news. Hopefully "environmentally-friendly infrastructure projects" isn't just a ephemism for similar projects in the future.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#46 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:45 PM

Yes, this is very good news.

I take Alex's point above, but beyond reducing the danger to Sipadan's already somewhat battered reefs, by backing down from this unnecessary construction of a clubhouse and restaurant (immediately after expelling the resorts on the pretext of reducing environmental damage) also averts what could have been a fatal blow to the credibility of the Sabah and national government of Malaysia with respect to protection of marine environments.

Frogfish
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#47 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8373 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:46 PM

A friend sent me this today: :rolleyes:

http://www.bernama.c...s.php?id=218627

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#48 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:38 AM

A friend sent me this today: :P

http://www.bernama.c...s.php?id=218627

Alex

Seems Tuan Musa is adamant to build his clubhouse. Good thing is that it'll be under scrutiny this time.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.