32 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:10 AM

Light & motion has posted new information on the coming D-200 housing on their web site and digideep has posted information and photos of the new UK-Germany housing for the Olympus E330 to its site.

Phil Rudin

#2 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:46 AM

And the price is a hefty $4,500. You know how many lap dances that will get you??? :lol: :D :lol:
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8387 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:29 AM

Any pictures? I couldn't find any. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 05:48 AM

If the 1:1 viewfinder is included with the Light & motion housing at $4500.00 then it would be in a competitive range with other high end housings.

Images of the UK-Germany housing for the Olympus E-330 at digideep.com. At 2,320 EUR with a flat port it will be interesting to see how well this housing sells not having an optical viewfinder.

Phil

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:07 AM

Phil: The magnified viewfinder is listed in the "additional accessories" section, so I'm betting it's not included in the $4,500 price.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

I am sure that is worth a few bucks...probably add another $750.
Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com

#7 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:09 PM

And the price is a hefty $4,500.  You know how many lap dances that will get you??? :lol:  :D  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reckon about 400 memorable minute's ( based on an international standard 3 songs / 10 minutes ) - the new Titan will be a much better investment.

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

And the price is a hefty $4,500.  You know how many lap dances that will get you??? ;)  :D  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any pictures? I couldn't find any. Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow Alex, is Malaysia that boring?! :lol: :lol:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:19 AM

Price point is very interesting at nearly double that of the prior Titan. I hope they do well with this product. LMI has had one foot in the dSLR arena. They bring unique and advanced technical innovations. If they can iron out the flaws, and jump in with a solid line of accessories, they could become a major player.

By pushing the price point beyond $4000, I think they'll be obligated to develop more comprehensive support for the full range of Nikkors. Further, how brilliant (and economical) would it be if LMI designed the housing a little bigger than necessary so that a mounting block and USB module would allow future Nikons to share this housing. All of a sudden $4500 would be a bargain!
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#10 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

At first glance the price point seems excessive. I have a Titan D100 which I love. I had assumed I'd be purchasing the L&M D200 housing when it comes out so that I could take advantage of the L&M ports I own. However, the price of this new housing will cause me to think seriously about switching to a different platform. I really doubt that it's going to make financial sense for me(casual user/semi-pro). That said I'm assuming L&M has done their homework and feel that there are enough full time pros out there who WILL support this product and price point. It will be interesting to see how it is received. I’m sure it’s a sweet rig.
David
www.safanda.com

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

I agree RE the pricepoint - it seems a bit high for a $1,600 camera. But then again, I'm one to talk as I now have a Seacam housing.

I used the Titan D100 and was very impressed. I don't remember it being this expensive though, and it housed a $2,000 camera. What has LMI improved on the housing to justify the jump in price?

The fingertip controls on the Titan D100 handles are a dream to use once you get used to them. LMI may not have a full line of ports, but I was happy to use an adapter ring and the Aquatica ports.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#12 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

I was happy to use an adapter ring and the Aquatica ports.

Given the price of this new L&M housing, I wish Aquatica had some type of adapter that would allow me to use my L&M ports with their D200 housing. Maybe they do. I guess I should look in to that.
David
www.safanda.com

#13 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

Perhaps we can ask Barrett who just introduced himself here.

If anyone is qualified to comment...
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#14 Barrett Heywood

Barrett Heywood

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

OK, here I go with my first real post. (Relax Barrett, don't be too commercial, but make sure you answer the questions in a straight forward manner.) So it seems the question of the day is whether the Titan D200 will be worth a $1000 more than the Subal or Seacam. There are two primary attributes that the Titan has over traditional housings.

First and foremost is the USB control set. Controlling the camera through USB allows us to design the housing controls independent of the camera's control positions. So we can place the controls in the most ergonomic position possible. Further, USB controls will open up new photographic possibilities like pole cam shots, stake out shots, time lapse, and down loading direct to a laptop.

The second attribute is ROC which allows housing control over strobes.

That's most of the cost difference. There are some other things like our port system that allows the use of competitor ports and our sealing geometry, but again the big difference is ROC and USB.

I definately noticed Kasey's comment about trying to make a more universal housing that was larger and therefore longer lived. I tend to see lots of comments praising small and light weight and few comments supporting big and heavy, but USB control certainly opens the possibility of "universal" housings. If you guys would buy them, we'd love to make them.

To help the pricing and upgrade pain, we have trade-in specials for both Titan housings and competitors housings. The trade-in deals won't be finalized for a couple more months.

As for pictures, we should have renderings posted by tonight or Wednesday.

I think that's it. I'm certainly happy to clarify any questions.

How did I do? :lol: Barrett
Barrett Heywood, CEO
Light & Motion
www.uwimaging.com
www.bikelights.com

#15 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:55 AM

First and foremost is the USB control set. Controlling the camera through USB allows us to design the housing controls independent of the camera's control positions.

Thanks for the reply. It definitely sounds like an impressive leap forward in terms of housing design and functionality.
David
www.safanda.com

#16 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:08 AM

Light & motion has now posted a image of cad image of the D-200 housing which includes a macro port with a gear control. Perhaps Barrett would like to post the image at Wetpixel. It looks very well thought out and appears to have removeable hand grips and the 1:1 viewfinder.

Phil Rudin

#17 Barrett Heywood

Barrett Heywood

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:36 AM

I'm not sure of the etiquette here. Is is copasetic for manufacturer to post product images? Seems like advertising to me. I think I'll ping Eric for clarification. -Barrett
Barrett Heywood, CEO
Light & Motion
www.uwimaging.com
www.bikelights.com

#18 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:19 AM

Hey Barrett,

Forgive me here.

Leave it to the DEALERS - after! all that is their job !!!

#19 climbrox

climbrox

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:07 AM

People post cad drawings of new housings on this forum all the time. I understand Barrett's hesitancy to post the image but there's no reason a WetPixel user with no affiliation to L&M can't post the image.

Posted Image

Posted Image
David
www.safanda.com

#20 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

That looks like a rendering to me. Any real pictures? And how much extra is the viewing enlarger? Looks sweet! But where are the ROC controls on the handles?
Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com