Lanyards for your large housing?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:18 PM

What means of securing via a tether do you all like to use so your housing does not swim the opposite direction as you do, especially if you need to have both hands free at times?
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#2 globaldiver

globaldiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, UW-videography, Photography

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

I use cave line and a bolt snap so I can temporarily clip off the housing during deco etc.

Anders
Sony HVR-Z1U, Light & Motion Bluefin HD, L&M Bluefin HD wide angle lens/wide angle flip macro lens, Halcyon Apollo Dual 50W HID/13.5A, ULCS light arms,
Canon EOS 350D

#3 diveh2o

diveh2o

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, surfing, rock climbing, sailing....

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

http://wetpixel.com/...2853&hl=lanyard
Roger Kirkpatrick
www.newhousegalleries.com/roger

Nikon D200 and D100 in Aquatica housings. nikkor 10.5, 20, 12-24. Ikelite DS 125s (2) and Ultralight arms.

#4 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

How about a coiled lanyard.

lanyard.jpg

#5 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

I also use a coiled lanyard.

I attach it to my D-ring at all times.

it is also useful when I'm at a safety stop or when i want to switch to my compact digicam.
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage

#6 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:36 PM

Anywhere on the net you can buy one of those swanky coiled lanyards?
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#7 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

I like that black skanky, oops, I mean swanky coiled lanyard, BUT.....what goes through my mind is the same thing that goes through my mind when I have a $2000 Cochran helium 2 Po2 computer on a retractable lanyard: the plastic coily is going to snap and I am not going to feel it, and somewhere 1000 feet back there somewhere is my $15K rig.....
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#8 globaldiver

globaldiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

I like that black skanky, oops, I mean swanky coiled lanyard, BUT.....what goes through my mind is the same thing that goes through my mind when I have a $2000 Cochran helium 2 Po2 computer on a retractable lanyard: the plastic coily is going to snap and I am not going to feel it, and somewhere 1000 feet back there somewhere is my $15K rig.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cave-line is strong, inexpensive, and it does not entangle easy either... :lol:

Anders
Sony HVR-Z1U, Light & Motion Bluefin HD, L&M Bluefin HD wide angle lens/wide angle flip macro lens, Halcyon Apollo Dual 50W HID/13.5A, ULCS light arms,
Canon EOS 350D

#9 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:07 PM

I have used the coil lanyard for years and it is solid Dave. I highly recommend this.
shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#10 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:29 PM

Mine's made from marine-grade shock cord from a windsurfer/canoeing shop. It's lasted years. It's double (one length tied to each handle) and leads to a single stainless bolt snap that I find easiest to get off when hanging on the dive platform in a big sea.

The length of the lanyard is finely-tuned so that I can "push" the housing against it at arm's length and stretch it a wee bit to get some extra camera steadiness.

Nick

#11 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:25 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except that the swanky coiled lanyard has a cable in the center of it.

Not likely to snap anytime soon.

#12 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:29 PM

Anywhere on the net you can buy one of those swanky coiled lanyards?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leisurepro, Scubatoys, eBay...Google Cetacea Lanyards for dozens of options.

#13 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:11 AM

For that added sense of unbeatable security, one can rely on the gear that climbers are using to dangle off rock-faces......

Second hand (used passed its safety specifications already) parts are a far better bet as it's pretty pricey gear to go chucking into the ocean.....

A simple lanyard / sling plus a carabiner to clip your gear to you and you're away.....

Don't forget a good solid metal D-ring on your BC to clip the 'biner onto.... I've seen someone using his little plastic "d-ring" on a dodgy old BC..... of course, it broke.......

Ebay is full of this gear at next to nothing prices.....

The 'biner will stick pretty quickly without a dab of oil - simple cooking oil does the trick at lubricating the moving parts for a few months of daily diving and - of course - fresh-water rinsing......

Chris

#14 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:15 AM

For that added sense of unbeatable security, one can rely on the gear that climbers are using to dangle off rock-faces......

Second hand (used passed its safety specifications already) parts are a far better bet as it's pretty pricey gear to go chucking into the ocean.....

A simple lanyard / sling plus a carabiner to clip your gear to you and you're away.....

Don't forget a good solid metal D-ring on your BC to clip the 'biner onto.... I've seen someone using his little plastic "d-ring" on a dodgy old BC..... of course, it broke.......

Ebay is full of this gear at next to nothing prices.....

The 'biner will stick pretty quickly without a dab of oil - simple cooking oil does the trick at lubricating the moving parts for a few months of daily diving and - of course - fresh-water rinsing......

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be careful. A lot of climbing carabiners are not stainless steel and not meant to be used underwater. They can stick, rust and lock into position.

#15 globaldiver

globaldiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:07 AM

Dave,

This is what I used on my old PD-170 Gates housing.

Gates_back.gif Gates_right_side.gif

The front lanyard was just to keep the flimsy lens cover on for protection of the Fathom lens during transport and handling in and out of the water. It also enabled me to clip off the lens cover to a bungee loop in one of my leg pockets so I did not risk loosing it if I pulled something else out from that pocket.

A simple but strong solution.

Anders
Canon EOS 350D

#16 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:17 AM

Yes, Ron or Rosa,

I specifically made that point in the final words of the post from which you have chosen to quote me...

"The 'biner will stick pretty quickly without a dab of oil - simple cooking oil does the trick at lubricating the moving parts for a few months of daily diving and - of course - fresh-water rinsing......"

Point being that my 'biner has been used daily for 800-odd dives, it seized up once. A drop of vegetable oil in the join, followed by some vigarous working backward and forward a few times and Hey Presto, the gate sprang back into its closed position immediately..... that was 4 months ago, it is still working impeccably.....

No corrosion present either.....

Thank you for reiterating my words, though........

Chris :lol:

#17 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:12 AM

I have always used an eye bolt which is connected to the handle crossbar of my Gates housing and clip from my bc to it. I also have a lanyard that generally comes with dive lights around the handle which I always use. -Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.