Vignetting Fix for the Phenom

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

Good news Phenom Owners. :lol:

For existing Phenom owners we rework their lens “this is not just shaving the lens port” we actually take it apart and re-machine the components, and rebuilt as the new lens port assembly, normally this would cost $800US but to show our appreciation of present Phenom owners support we are offering the rework for Only $200US, that mean the customers will have to send back his compete port to Amphibico. Also 2nd Flip Filter will have to be removed for this to work.

The stand alone cost for the new lens is $2395US and also includes a new larger 58mm +2 diopter ring for extreme macro.

On the second front, we will introduce a second port, (standard with the Phenom Basic) , that will act as a flat port, without any lens adaptor,,, giving you full zoom range of the camera lens,. Priced at 595.00$ , this also makes this port a great back up lens too!!— We will also offer it to all our existing customers at a special price of $395.00US if they execute the upgrade improvements to their lenses..

We will also be announcing the Phenom Basic , configured with our new Dome-Flat port lens ,for the low price of $5395USD,sugg retail!! Upcoming also, is an 16x9 HD monitor to complement all HDV housings, slated for early Fall introduction.

Cheers
Wags
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

So...they finally listened to the customer....this is really good news for amphibico owners...and the right thing to do.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:38 AM

Hey, Wags. Do you have an official press release or anything?
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 01:56 AM

Gday Eric I suppose you could call it that.

I'll send you and email.

Maybe we can make a post on the front page.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 brycegroark

brycegroark

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:53 AM

Many Mahalos for that post.

What range will you get with the new shaved down version? 94*? And what about the flat port?

Thank goodness this is happening.

Aloha
Bryce
Bryce Groark
Living Ocean Productions
http://livingoceanproductions.com
http://brycegroark.com

#6 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

From what I understand if you go that route you will lose the ability to have the 2nd flip down lens.
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

Yes you loose the second flip arm. However there maybe still room for a very thin one. If there is, I'll make one up to try. Have to wait and see. Another thing you can do is put the filter in the ring the after market macro came out off and screw it onto the camera leaving the macro to go in the flip. Works a treat but kicks the power of the lights back abit, due to loosing a fstop or two. Take it out for night dives etc.

I take it it will be 94 degrees so that's like 10 degree's better than what we get now having to zoom in abit and still have full zoom through. That 10 degrees makes a difference.

The FX1/Z1 has a FOV like 76 I think, so with the flat port you would still get a okay wide shot but with a flat port we could put in a #4 diopter and get really close and it will be good for a backup lens.

Anyhow it's good that they are listerning to their customers.

#8 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:09 AM

They just shipped the second flip filter I ordered last week. Damn. Will we have to send back the entire housing or only the port?

I'm not sure about the flat port. I can't see myself shlepping two ports on trips.
>>> Submerge Productions dedicated to technical diving

#9 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:27 AM

Just have to send the PORT to them.

#10 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

One other thing to consider on the flat port is that it will offer much reduced FOV underwater. I believe the fx1 has a 67 standard view. underwater with a flat port, this is reduced by about 30% to perhaps 50 degrees. as such, it is really a close up and macro lens with limited use in wide. on the other hand, it will be small and portable making it a decent backup option if your dome gets damaged 200 miles out on a dive boat.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#11 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

Her some more stuff......

The Dome/flat port assembly Amphibico will be offering at $595US uses a Dome so when underwater you do not loose the 30% FOV as you will with a flat port, so indeed you still end up wit the 67 degree FOV of the camcorder lens!! The reason it's called a Dome/Flat port is the fact it can be used for full wide and full tele -macro shooting!!

So thats nice :lol:

#12 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

Nice work!
www.bluespheremedia.com

#13 lutfu

lutfu

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hello,
I have both the vigneting 94 angle lens and the not vigneting 94 degree modified lens,but now there is a scratch on the not vigneting one so i have to open both of the lens to create a none scratch lense,, the problem is i managed to open the modified ,not vignating lense ,i took the dome out and then i managed to take the actual cavision 07x86 lense but there is no way i could remove the actual lense from the port with the vigneting one, is there a way to remove the lens from the port ?
Thanks in advance

Hello,
I have both the vigneting 94 angle lens and the not vigneting 94 degree modified lens,but now there is a scratch on the not vigneting one so i have to open both of the lens to create a none scratch lense,, the problem is i managed to open the modified ,not vignating lense ,i took the dome out and then i managed to take the actual cavision 07x86 lense but there is no way i could remove the actual lense from the port, is there a way to remove the lens from the port?
Thanks in advance

Edited by lutfu, 06 July 2014 - 08:22 AM.