Aspect HD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:41 AM

As you know HDV is 1080i interlaced. Well I just downloaded the latest (Cineforms)Aspect HD for Premiire Pro and it can convert you HDV 1080 (50i) m2t footage as it comes into the computer to a 1080p (progressvie) avi file. You can then edit in a progressive timeline in realtime with effects and graphics.

It will even pull down a 1080 (60i) to 24p.

I'll see if it can convert a HDV PAL to HDV NTSC smoothly.

Check it out...
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:07 AM

It appears that in order to upconvert any SD footage to 1080i so as to be used in conjunction with the new HDV footage, the SD sequences must first be deinterlaced to progressive. This is applicable whether you use Mac or PC, NTSC or PAL. Let us know how it went.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 06:40 AM

Hi Steve

I next encoded out from the PAL 1080 HDV progressive timeline a NTSC 720/480 mini DV file which seems to play fine, but the PAL A1 camera could not record the file.

I then encoded out a 1080 60i m2t file and sent it back to the PAL A1 camera which it kicked into 60i mode and recorded no problems and playing smoothly.

I will make another test tomorow to check it out again.

If this works, can you accept a NTSC HDV tape for the contest?
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:14 AM

We would love to have your NTSC HDV submission. Don't know what the judges will decide, even I, one of the organizers, must submit but I really look forward to your submissions.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:56 AM

Yes I suppose I should put something together.

Will have to buy some more good old cheapo SATA drives though and put into the other network computer and pull from that. I have filled all my drives with other ongoing projects.

To think my first computer had 600 megs with a massive 16 megs of ram :)

#6 FatFish

FatFish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hi Wags,

Where can I download Aspects?? I'm Having lots of trouble with conversions.

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

Hi FatFish

Go to Cineforms website....but when I tested it out....

Aspect HD does work well indeed but it's 8 bit colour correction can cause banding, but using Premire Pro's colour correction will give you better results.

The exported m2t files are not the best as well, Main Concept Pro encodes out better m2t files.

APSPECT HD HERE

Wags

#8 FatFish

FatFish

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

Ive been backing up all my HD tapes for a week now with Aspect and Premiere pro2.0, bloody good call, wagsy, it works a treat, I captured and exported one set of footage over and over and there was no diminishing of quality, even when checking the histogram. Takes ages but a good reason to find time to chill in a hammock and watch the waves whilst working!!
Thanks for the tip

#9 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

Yes the AVI file it converts the m2t to is really good and gives realtime editing however it is better to use Premiere's colour correcting as their's will cause banding in some shots. Aspect HD only does 8 bit, you need the 10 bit version to overcome this problem,, so just use Premiere Pro's for CC.

I have yet to download their latest demo 4.13 version, it might be better now.
It is cool to convet the 1080i to a 1080 progressive one as it comes in though.

I think it works abit like FCP and Lumiere HD.

To get the best rendered out m2t files, Main Concept Pro does a better job than Apsect HD can do going by my tests so far.