6 replies to this topic

#1 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1539 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 31 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Just edited a 35 minute or so movie, burned it with IDVD and things were fine. After making the disk image, the Imovie file is all screwed up, all the sound appears to have been done by frogs. The strange thing is if you export to quicktime, it sounds fine.
How can I get back to the original video, I need to move a song by a couple of seconds;

thanks
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

Gday Bill
Im on a PC this end so not to sure about IDVD.

On some DVD authoring programs you can move the auido track along if it's out abit, then recompile the DVD and burn.

You can also rip the audio track from the vobs in the videoTS folder (demultiplex) and re author into a new DVD with a new sound track.

What are the specs you encoded out to Mpeg2.
Elementary streams? Seperate Audio and video files.
System files? Audio embeded with Video into one file.
Sound specs? mpa, m2a, ac3, dts, wav, aiff, pcm?
And what rate, 8mbps, 9mbps etc??

Sorry... any MAC people out there....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:25 AM

Bill,
Go to www.kenstone.net and click on the discussions forums and post your question there. This is the best Mac based editing site in the country( not just because I write for them either) and you get an answer and solution plenty quick.
Steve B)

ps. Another excellent source of editing info and forums is the www.lafcpug.org site

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1539 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

Ken Stone was REAL helpful, told me that IDVD sucks, something I didn't know. The Apple folks were even more helpful, wait for the upgrade, audio problems are known and will be addressed.
Fortunately, even though Imovie can't play the sound, when IDVD burns it, it sounds fine. Very strange.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 jibby

jibby

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

You might try this site:

http://www.danslagle...vie/index.shtml

It really deals with Imovie and IDVD specifically.

jibby

#6 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

Bill,

iMovie and the rest of the iLife suite is pretty ropey for anything but fun, consumer work - great for a short family sunday dinner or kids playing in the garden etc...

Have you considered Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro? Pricey, yes, but well worth the investment.

You can contact me directly for some intensive Mac-based advice which would bore the pants off the readers of this forum. Any Mac problems, give me a shout. Sometimes (by others) known as Thailand's unofficial Apple Support guru....

Email address is in profile.

Give us a shout on anything if you need - we'll get to the bottom of it.

Chris

#7 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

You can also rip the audio track from the vobs in the videoTS folder (demultiplex) and re author into a new DVD with a new sound track.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Wagsy's right on here about ripping your own DVD. If you really really need the movie, and the only source you have for it right now is the DVD you made, then try this:

A good shareware program for ripping/demuxing DVDs is MPEG StreamClip. Download and install it, then double-click on the icon for your DVD (quit DVD Player and just open up the DVD disc icon, itself).

Open up the Video_TS folder and find the files that end in VOB. Those are the various video assets in your DVD but they're "muxed" (multiplexed) into a DVD structure, so you need to de-mux (de-multiplex) them, or separate the video and the audio back out, then convert them back into DV files that you can then re-import into iMovie to tinker with.

StreamClip gives you a number of different options for converting the VOB files. It's pretty intuitive. You probably want to reconvert to DV and work with your video and audio again in iMovie? Then try that option in StreamClip.

Sometimes it isn't obvious which of the VOB files is your movie (remember, the motion menu will be a VOB file as well). So just try each of the VOB files in StreamClip until you find the one that's your movie.

I use iDVD sometimes for fast jobs, and I like some of their themes. It definitely has its limits, and DVD Studio Pro is really the program you want to get conversant with. But iDVD will usually work OK for really fast, simple jobs where you don't mind the limitations of the themes, or don't want to take the time to create your own menus, etc. Just make sure you set your preferences in iDVD so that you're getting the best quality encoding, though.