6 replies to this topic

#1 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:49 PM

Hi,

for those of you who are interested in a tour off the beaten tracks I have written
a few lines about this remote destination.

Bottom line: VERY good chance to see whalesharks and mantas! But a few
drawbacks - so decide for yourself if it is worth the cost and effort.

The reports and some photos (taken with a Nikonos RS and unfortunately
scanned with a low-end scanner only) can be found at

http://www.dive-images.de or directly at
http://www.dive-imag..._2006/index.htm

Regards,
Joerg

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:08 AM

Hey Joerg
Great pics there mate.
Looks abit like here...well underwater anyhow :unsure:

Were there lots of Whale Sharks? and did you use a plane to spot them?

Cheers
Wags
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 shurford

shurford

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

Amazing pics - can't believe the size of that whale shark.

In comparison the ones we saw in Utila Honduras were babies :unsure:)

Check out my vid on www.myspace.com/shurford

Laterz!

#4 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

Great report, your frames well deserve a better scanner.
There is a small chance I'll be in that area for wok in the next menthes and I'm thinking of Tofo so I have few questions:
- What about sessions there, the better the worst (weather, visibility, currents, animals)
- Do you know the dive's prices there more o less?
- would you recommended to go there by myself without organized tour?

And one recommendation: for situation when there no rinse tanks I have cooler soft bag that I always carry with me, its uses for transfer the gear to / from the boat and can be used as rinse tanks also.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#5 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:17 AM

Hi Wegs and Arnon,

no, they do not use planes. They mount a high seat on one of their RIBs.

At the time we were there they saw one to four whalesharks on each of their 2-hour-"Ocean Safaris".

Peak whaleshark season is from late November to May, although they(!) say the whalsharks can be found all year round. Sometimes strong (and I mean strong) currents and some surge - it is the Indian Ocean. Visibility not too good, lots of plankton, but that is what attracts the whalesharks and the mantas.

I do not know the dive prices, we had a package ex Jo┬┤burg. On my web site you can find a trip report with a link to the dive center.

If you take a flight to Inhambane it should be no problem to go on yourself, but I doubt it is cheaper than to have the trip arranged by a south african tour operator. If you want to go by car from South Africa the problem is that -as far as Iknow- you are not allowed to leaveSouth Africa in a rented car. The roads in Moz. are good, but it is a very long trip.

Greetings,
Jock

#6 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:02 AM

Check, www.mozdivers.com this is a verry good organisation!
I been to Mozambique and Tofo 2 times in the last year the first time whe organised everthing ourselve and drive whit a car from JHB to Tofo etc.
There i meet the owner of Mozdivers and saw how they work i went back 8 months later with a group of 8 divers everthing organised by them and it was perfect!
You can do it yoursels also but believe me it is not cheaper! so it depends what you like the most.

Whalesharks are not so big between 4 and 7m i have seen really allot of them i was there the first time in March and the second time in November after 2 days of seeing whalesharks on the surface when we where going and coming back from the divespot whe where not intrested enymore! how menny times can you jump in? it sound strange but if you see every 5 min a whaleshark (or less!) and you have jumped around 20 times in the water and sometimes they leave instantly but other times they stayed around for so long whe where intrested!
1 of the last days whe where going to the divespot and whe seen 12 whalesharks togheter! OK then i jumped in again :-) that was imazing like a feeding frenzy there was realy a cloud of Plankton and the vis was only about 10 to 15 m and under water swim from 1 to the other! i have shot's whit 3 whalesharks togheter in a vis that is not more then 15m!!!!

So the whalesharks are cool but believe me the Manta's in Tofo are Imazing, they are all about 5 a 6 m! and on the cleening stations you so menny togheter!

If you need more information just ask! you can see on my website some videoclips from my first visit there.
GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:11 AM

Also remember that Mozambique is a malarial zone. Tofo/Ilhambane are nice areas for both though.
In Sodwana, you get the whalesharks too and it's a bit more civilized base. But the Manta Reef mantas in Moz are pretty nice but viz isn't always that great there.
Further north of Ilhambane is Pemba and the Lazarus banks, where sharks and big fish linger.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.