PAL TO NTSC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:59 AM

For all you PC vegemites out there.

I have been playing around with this DV converter.
All I can say is that if you are on a PC go and download DV Converter and give it a go. :unsure:

It will even go NTSC to PAL.

Amazing.....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:58 AM

Wags,
How long is the render? Will it also change interlace to progressive for upconversion to HDV?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

Steve
It will not do HDV or m2t files, just mini DV.
Just drop a Pal or NTSC clip into the program and away it goes.

Rendering is fast, like 5 mins takes 10 mins on my 3 GIG PC.
Watching the two clips play side by side, NTSC is made slightly abit soft but still very good for how fast and easy it does it. It's also really shows how much smaller a NTSC clip is than PAL. 720/480-720/576

I also tried to frameserve to it straight from a Premiere Pro timeline but no go.

For HDV it looks like Aspect HD 4 is the go. In from the PAL 50i camera to a Progressive HDV AVI, edit then out to NTSC 60i HDV and back to the PAL 50i camera in 60i NTSC either to a FX1 or A1.

Off Flopping Whale Sharking today....
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:50 AM

I have recently been using Ahead Nero for this .. and it seems to do the job at about the same speed. I have version 6.3.

I was having particular probles with converting PAL AVI to NTSC MPG.
I ended up getting good results just couldnt increase the quality or else the sound got way out of sync

I now have a complete set of the Planet Earth Eric recommended on DVD copied from the TV broadcast. And he was right .. it is really inspirational.

I tried this DV converter and it didn't seem to do what I wanted to do. Was that me doing something wrong? I have been trying out a few different pieces of software for converting and burning, and had very little luck in my trials as Ithink I am a video moron. But I want to learn as I want to start shooting and editing fun home personal video's ... no not that personal :unsure:

Anyways .. was I trying to use DV converter to do somethign it doesn't do or am I just a moron who had the wrong settings to make it do it right ?
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:44 AM

I'll check out that Ahead Nero.

Hey copying Planet Earth... that's illegal :unsure:

Dv converter, you just open up the program and navigate to the file you want to convert and then click convert. I did find that the first DV file I made from Premiere timeline did not work but DV files I made with Procoder did. Maybe it's abit fussy on the DV file it has to convert.

I'll give it another go with Prems encoder to see how it goes.

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:28 AM

In Prem 1.5 Microsoft DV AVI or Microsoft AVI files encoded from the timeline will not open in DV converter but ones I encode out with Procoder do?

Prem 2 files does the same as Prem 1.5? Go figure!!!

#7 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hey copying Planet Earth... that's illegal :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it aired on TV and you taped it on your VCR or DVR is that illegal use for personal viewing ?
Besides I live in the Cayman Islands .. no copyright laws !
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks