tetenol e6 confusion

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mary Malloy

Mary Malloy

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Any species I haven't seen and big stuff.

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:01 PM

I have just started using tetonal e6 processing but the instructions are confusing to me. One page states different FD times depending on the number of rolls when using "Rotary Discard" whatever that means, And on the next page a footnote states 7 minutes across the board when using rotary processing equipment.

I hand rotated at 7 minutes with good results but because I bracket so much it's not a true test of the processing procedures.

What is Rotary Discard? Which times should I be using?

Thanks
Mary
Nikon D700 in Nexus D200/Sam Chae conversion kit
Lenses: 8
Strobes: 5
Ideas: 0

www.marymalloy.com.au

#2 Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz

Sting Ray

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR & IndyCar photography; large format photography; wet darkroom work. Getting ready to drag my gear underwater...

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hi Mary!

"Rotary discard" appears to be single shot use, which is OK for very low volumes; but expensive when considering the cost of bleach.

Also, the agitation in the first dev bath on a Jobo is pretty vigorous, with a setting of 75 (on my ATL-3), so you'll want to stick to the 6:00 time specified in the Kodak Z-99 and Z-119 manuals.

The advantage of using your E-6 chemistry single-shot is that, as long as you nail the first dev time & temp at 6:00 & 100.0F, you don't need to run control strips to check the process control on your densitometer.

All this being said, stick to the Kodak chemistry: They make 1 gallon (5 liter in some markets) E-6 kits that work quite well... Just save the bleach and replenish.

Also, check out APUG.org; and pay close attention to Photo Engineer (Ron Mowrey), as he has several patents from his days at Kodak. :)

I have just started using tetonal e6 processing but the instructions are confusing to me. One page states different FD times depending on the number of rolls when using "Rotary Discard" whatever that means, And on the next page a footnote states 7 minutes across the board when using rotary processing equipment.

I hand rotated at 7 minutes with good results but because I bracket so much it's not a true test of the processing procedures.

What is Rotary Discard? Which times should I be using?

Thanks
Mary

I love the smell of fixer in the morning!