• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ed nygard

ed nygard

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 11:35 PM

Back in November I called Ikelite about availability of the new back for the S2 housing and was told about a month, certainly by the end of the year. Another poster recently has heard March. Today I called again and was told there are no longer plans for production of the new back, but it might be available eventually as a custom item. So I called Aquatica and was told they've started the design process and should have product available by "late spring, end of April or early May". Has anyone heard of other plans from Nexus, Subal, etc? Now the question for me: I leave for Australia 26 April, and would like some experience with a new housing before depending on it for such a trip. Do I have any options beside the current Ikelite housing? What practical issues of functionality and quality would make waiting a viable option? How do the Ikelites compare with the metal housings? Pros, cons? Any and all insights, experience, opinions and comments welcome.

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 07:26 AM

A friend of mine in the UK who is a very experienced housing builder is working on a S2 for a client at the moment. His housings are very compact and lightwieght and can be spec'ed to fit which ever port system you wish.

I am happy to pass on contact details to him (but not post his email address online).

Alex

as a clue he is a past runner-up in the BG Wildlife Comp Underwater Category!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 ed nygard

ed nygard

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 04:58 PM

Thanks Alex, I'd appreciate your giving him my email address. I'd like to hear more about what he has to offer.

Ed

#4 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 08:59 PM

The Ike housing is pretty good. The only issue I have is that it is a little larger than it needs to be (as Ike makes several housings from the same base model).

If you already own an S2, this housing is the only really viable one out there in the time frame you are talking about. It really does work very well - in terms of workmanship and reliability it is as good as any of the other housings - it maybe is a little uglier and a little bulkier, but this aint a beauty contest anyway.

Really have been enjoying mine anyway :-)

If you have specific questions, let me know.

M

#5 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Do it yourself afficionado

Posted 17 January 2003 - 10:32 PM

If you interested I could build one of my housings for you. Their not to compact in size, it uses a 8" tube. It is how ever neutral underwater and you can let it float in front of you and not worry that it might sink into the abyss. It has almost complete control over all the camera functions. The clear acrylic lets you see whatís happening inside your housing, and itís built like a tank. This one shown uses Ikeliteís ports, but Iím also building the same housing using my own 6" dome port and flat port now. It also supports a Nikon TTL type flash unit.
If your interested please E-mail me for further information Blueseas@earthlink.net

Marc
Posted Image
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.

#6 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 18 January 2003 - 04:26 AM

Marc,

These look really good and a credit to your inginuity. Do you do this full time?

Making the strobe housings will be a P of P I suppose!

Any chance I could wedge a D1s inside?

Can you build it to accept Subal ports?

Good thing about this design I suppose is that you can take several different cameras and different backs to suit.

#7 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 07:13 AM

At the present time Iím only making housings on the side for extra money.
I already have two full time jobs, I own a small 12 unit Inn in Florida and Iím a City Commissioner in my home town. It keeps me very busy but I love the challenge of making housings. In the past I have worked and made custom housings for two other companies.

As for your D1s , Iím sure it could be fitted into this housing. The housing has more width if you move the camera up inside the housing and the length can be adjusted to any size.

Itís just a matter of having the camera and repositioning all the controls, ports etc.

I not familiar with Sabal components so I canít comments on that, I do how ever have my own Ports.

Marc
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.

#8 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 10:49 AM

Can you give me the costs for an S2 & D1s please? Also your macro ports and the dome.

#9 ed nygard

ed nygard

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 05:58 PM

Marriard-

Do you find a need for any of the functions not available on the Ikelite?

James-

I seem to recall some comments you made early on about your experience with the Ikelite but can't find them. Is there an archive of earlier posts?

Ed

#10 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 07:03 AM

If your interested in my housing, please contact me directly.
blueseas@earthlink.net

Thanks,
Marc

#11 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 07:51 AM

Outstanding Value for money, I might add!

#12 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 06:40 PM

Marriard-

Do you find a need for any of the functions not available on the Ikelite?

Ed

Yes and no...

- There is no SCM control on the front (grrr)
- There is no way to view a histogram of an image taken (which is more accurate than the LCD in most cases)
- There is no way to review images while in the case (i.e. review during safety stop, etc, etc)
- There is no way to change the focus zone while UW

A lot of these are things I had on my housed Nikon N90S and liked (and even used)

There a few other things, but nothing you can't live with. I actually like the housing, but would switch to a Nexus housing in a heartbeat if they do something soon (otherwise I will probably upgrade the camera to some new thing on the market and end up with the first Ike housing for that)

The #1 advantage of the Ike housing is that it is actually available - and there is a lot to be said for that (just go ask all the D100 owners who are scrambling for the few housings out there)

Let me know if you have specific questions.
M

#13 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 07:32 PM

No way to switch to the Smartmedia card which could give you more shots if needed. Of course most of these could be accomplished by access to the menu buttons and 4-way button.

M, it is possible to have the histogram displayed after shooting. It is in the setup menu under image display. It will continue to disply the histogram when you preview an image until you switch options.

#14 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:16 AM

M, it is possible to have the histogram displayed after shooting. It is in the setup menu under image display. It will continue to disply the histogram when you preview an image until you switch options.

Let me have a look at that later today. :-)

#15 Harald

Harald

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 04:38 PM

If you do this, dont forget that you will have to acknowledge every picture taken that you want to keep by pressing the OK button !
If you accidently take a second picture or even press the shutter release halfway, the first picture that was on your LCD will not be stored on your card, its lost forever !
I have lost some picture's this way :)

Harald van Buel

#16 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 09:04 PM

If you do this, dont forget that you will have to acknowledge every picture taken that you want to keep by pressing the OK button !
If you accidently take a second picture or even press the shutter release halfway, the first picture that was on your LCD will not be stored on your card, its lost forever !
I have lost some picture's this way :)

That is why I wasn't using it. I rechecked this this afternoon and that aint going to work.

Oh well - I didn't have it in film, so I can live without it - but it would have been nice (and I'll want it on the next camera/housing)

M

#17 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 04:53 AM

I agree that is not the way to go. I haven't used it, just pointing out it's possibility.

#18 JohnJT

JohnJT

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 07:13 PM

Hi Marc. Nice housing! Any chance of getting brighter colors for the housing?

#19 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 07:49 PM

Hi John,
Your not the only person who has asked me if my housing came in any other color.

The answer is yes, Iím presently making it in a very nice color of yellow, but can make it in many different colors. Whatís your preference ?

When I complete my next housing Iíll post you a picture.

Thanks,
Marc