• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

I went on their site and I really can't tell whether it is compatible with FCP. Does your documentation say?
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#22 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:47 PM

Says nothing, I think you import and export to editing programs....
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#23 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

Dave,
I've been in contact with president of the company about doing a possible review. It seems like this is a separate application all together. I guess you bring in your clip, let iStabilize do its thing and then export into your NLE software. I wonder if there is a loss of resolution while doing this. If you need to zoom in a bit then I am guessing that loss will be there. I'll see when I get it. In the meantime, I am leaving for the Philippines later this afternoon and will say hi to all when I get back.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#24 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:01 AM

Guys,
Started messing with the program. It is a seperate app. Actually, there are two options: 1. iMovie plugin app and 2. full stand-alone app. I am using option 2.

You import your captured clip, stabilize and export it out using any one of the options you typically see in FCP. It seems quite straight forward and clean process. It is also fast. I imported a clip, stabilized it and then exported. Unfortunetly, i hit a wall at this point. Kept getting an export error. Admittedly I only skimmed the instructions so it is likely my fault. I will read up more and do some performance test. It will certainly be somewhat lossy. However, it looks like it can import, modify and export in the native hdv format (1080 60i/50i). So loss will come from zoom and motion tracking associated with stabilization...would not expect it to be huge and probably still much better than shaky footage.

I'll let you know when I have more.

Shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#25 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

Steve, have a blast in the P.I's. Between you and Shawn, I will be looking for an explanation of how to use iStablize when I get to that point.

I hope that for as little as I know, I have been at least helpful in finding such a program and turning you experts onto it...hopefully it will work well, Lord knows my newbie footage needs it!
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#26 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Dave... the only expert is the one who doesn't think he is but makes the best of what he knows and tries to learn more....just like you and so many others, including myself, are doing. I only wished I knew as much as I would like to know. I'll take a look at that program when I get back.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas