10 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 06:02 PM

I just sent a few images to Ofoto to see how their printing would be. The quality of the print itself was very good but they didnt get the exposure right on one image (land shot) and the color cast of a U/W pic was off.

Anyone have a good experience with any other printing services? If yes what are they?

Nemo
Nemo - D70 + 17-55mm, 70 - 200 VR, 35 f2, 10.5, Sigma 15, 60 Macro, Nexus D70 housing, Optima CCR & more dive gear than the ave. store

#2 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 05:03 PM

Try pictopia.com -- they ROCK. I just printed a bunch of 13x19" prints from D30 and D60, and they were fantastic.

Fleetham and Watt both use it --at my recommendation -- as well. In fact, Jim called me the other day just to thank me for pointing him to Pictopia. He printed a 40"x60" lion print from digital source. It was shipped out the same day, and he said it looked amazing.

$10/square foot.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#3 lhansen

lhansen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 08:02 AM

I have used Shutterfly and have been very happy with them. I have only done 4x6 adn 5x7 prints so far. Their 5x7 prints are only .99. Their web interface and upload process are good. I have had slight color shifts on a few of my underwater prints, but nothing terrible.

I do recommend cropping your images before uploading. Crop them to a 4x6 aspect ratio using PS or whatever software you have.

#4 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 12:05 PM

I just did a test run with Pictopia and am very pleased. Good tip.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 01:04 PM

Craig,

How big did you go? What kind of file size?

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:10 PM

I did 16x20, 11x14 and 8x10 using the D100 8-bit TIFF's as a source. All in matte.
I did not scale any of the files so each was about 17MB. Took a while to upload.
Cost about $10 per square foot plus $20 shipping.

------
My Galleries

#7 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 02:34 PM

Their turnaround time is amazing. It normally runs about half a day.

#8 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 12:38 AM

For casual snapshots I take my CF card into Costco and download them to their photo center. One day turn around at .19 cents a 4x6. For the good stuff I bug my friend that works for Fuji to make me prints off their high end digital printers.

________
Robert

#9 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 01:12 PM

So at $10/SF, I come up with $22.22 for a 16x20. If this is correct, I'm all over it if the quality is there. I paid $60 here in Austin at a respected commercial imaging shop.

#10 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 01:20 PM

I liked my 16x20 sample. I'd show it to you but it's already in its new home. You can see it at Scubaland Adventures when you're in town.

------
My Galleries

#11 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 02:24 PM

I was over at Pictopia yesterday and chatted with Mark -- he's excited about all the UW stuff coming in. too bad wetpixel doesn't get a cut. :)

There's a significant discount after you buy one of any sized image. For example, I print a lot at 19x12.67". The first one costs $17, and each one thereafter costs $11 -- even if it's a different image! Amazing, really.

But be sure that a second one isn't 19x12.66", as they will charge $17 for it if it is .01" off.

Be sure to proof with their color profiles. You don't actually have to do the conversion, though -- it will do it for you when the image is rastered.