2 replies to this topic

#1 globaldiver

globaldiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, UW-videography, Photography

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:59 AM

I have edited a HDV project and try to burn it to a DVD in iDVD. What codec should I use as I export the video to Quicktime so I can retain as much of the quality as possible from the HD format to DV?

If I use the HD codec iDVD crops the video to 4:3 since it seems to not register the format...

Any good suggestions?

Sincerely

Anders
Sony HVR-Z1U, Light & Motion Bluefin HD, L&M Bluefin HD wide angle lens/wide angle flip macro lens, Halcyon Apollo Dual 50W HID/13.5A, ULCS light arms,
Canon EOS 350D

#2 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

Hopefully you're using a recent version of iDVD. If so, when you create a new project, set the aspect ratio to widescreen 16:9 (File>New).

Then don't encode your HDV movie at all before bringing it into iDVD--iDVD will do the encoding for you. There are good instructions in the iDVD Help Menu (Help>iDVD Help).

If you're working with an older version of iDVD, upgrade (it's cheap). I think you'll need at least iLife05, but iLife06 is preferable, to work with HDV. Hope this helps.

#3 globaldiver

globaldiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, UW-videography, Photography

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, it works now...

I did not realize that iDVD encoded the material itself. Thought I had to do it before I exported it to the program. Live and learn... :D

I use the most recent version of Final Cut Express and iDVD, and a 17" Mac Book Pro. With 2 Gig of RAM it works really well for editing HDV. I can however see that I in a near future may consider FC Studio Pro.

Thanks for your replies.

Sincerely

Anders
Sony HVR-Z1U, Light & Motion Bluefin HD, L&M Bluefin HD wide angle lens/wide angle flip macro lens, Halcyon Apollo Dual 50W HID/13.5A, ULCS light arms,
Canon EOS 350D