• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 landlockedinTN

landlockedinTN

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 03:26 PM

This is somewhat off topic since I will not be using it u/w, but was considering getting a Fuji S1 pro in order to defeat lag time issues. However, I read on a digicam review site that there is a .7 second lag in full AF. Are there any owners out there that can confirm this? S2 owners, how does the S2 compare in terms of lag?

#2 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 04:47 PM

that seems awfully long!

i know that with the D60, I tend to shoot in AI Servo mode, because if the camera can't get a lock in the "normal" mode, it won't fire. (in AI servo mode, it continuously tracks, even when the shutter is held down 1/2 way). As we all probably know, the D60's less-than-stellar AF performance makes this a very real problem.

Oh -- this is only when the focus is tied to the shutter button. Most D60 users also frequently shoot with the focus tied to the * button.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#3 landlockedinTN

landlockedinTN

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:19 PM

"Oh -- this is only when the focus is tied to the shutter button. Most D60 users also frequently shoot with the focus tied to the * button."

Eric,
What is the * button?

I agree that .7 seconds seems long (comparable to your average prosumer digicam). That is why I am questioning it. I got the info from Imaging-Resource.com. It does say that shutter lag in manual focus is .1 seconds.

#4 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 09:56 PM

"Oh -- this is only when the focus is tied to the shutter button. Most D60 users also frequently shoot with the focus tied to the * button."

Eric,
What is the * button?

I agree that .7 seconds seems long (comparable to your average prosumer digicam).  That is why I am questioning it.  I got the info from Imaging-Resource.com.  It does say that shutter lag in manual focus is .1 seconds.

There's a button on the back of the camera with a '*' on it. Normally, it locks the exposure, but it can be changed to lock the focus as well (or, instead).

We're missing the "other" button which is so useful on SLRs, which is flash-exposure lock. The only way to get flash exposure lock to work on a D60 is to set focus on the shutter. When a E-TTL flash is attached, pushing the * button pre-flashes to determine necessary flash power and locks it there.

The first-rev UK housing didn't have access to this button, which was unfortunate for off-center (or off-focus point) E-TTL usage with a housed Canon 550EX flash -- but only because there was no way to use that housed flash in any mode other than E-TTL.
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -