29 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:41 AM

:lol: They're blummin' pricey them placky bags! One of them and I'd have to seriously think about growing my own rice. And the case would clash awfully with my dive bag.

I'm so far off the pace now I've decided to leapfrog you lot and go straight for a RED setup. B***ocks to this 1080i malarkey.

It's all sucked in now Wags. Seagate 500Gb bulging. It's Vegas' "make awesome movie" command that I'm having trouble finding.

#22 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

Believe me...i have contemplated becoming a starving artist. Problem is I live in Colorado, 1000 miles from the nearest ocean. Poor wouldn't get me any diving at all! My wife and daughter have something to say about my idea of dissappearing on a remote indo island...:lol:
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#23 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

Wags,
Uploaded all the files. You saved me a ton of encoding work. I may just borrow your services in the future b/c I am a limited Mac user now;)
shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#24 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:12 PM

Perhaps I'm feeling a tad cantankerous, but GOD I HATE WMP. I usually don't bother viewing .wmv files anymore.

My experience: Your quicktimes had clear sound, nice tones, no significant aliasing artifacts that I could see, and just worked. The WMP versions had severe banding in the blue water tones, aliasing artifacts out the wazoo and the audio sounded like it was being played by a worn-out cassette player at the bottom of a deep well. For 200K less downloaded (i.e. Manta in blue part 1, HDV), I think you give up a vast amount by using WMP as your format.

Just my 'umble opinion. I liked your material, but felt let down by the file format/CODEC

(using a MacBook Pro 2GHz with 2GB RAM and broad band, QT Pro 7.0 and whatever the latest WMP player is, FWIW)
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#25 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

Glad to help shawn.

Craig those wmv file were made straight from the small QT ones so ofcourse they will not look as good as if I did them straight from a timeline. The sound is like that because I picked a very low quality for the sound to keep the file sizes down.

Also while I was batch encoding all the QT clips for shawn to wmv, I was surfing the net, and burning to twin DVD burners at the same time :lol:

But it is true QT plays better on Macs & WMV plays better on PC'S but most people surfing the net are on PC's and may not even have QT 7 installed.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#26 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

Craig,
After much testing, Wags is pretty much on. If you are on PC, .wmv is the way to go (PC's treat QT like a plague). On the Mac, the QT is much better. Overall, I have experienced slightly larger files but better quality on my Mac with the QT files than my PC with the .wmv files. That being said, I am not in a position to dictate what folks use...and most use .wmv. As such, if sharing content is goal, both formats are currently required.
Really appreciate the time you spent looking at the files and offering feedback.
Shawn
www.bluespheremedia.com

#27 Notorious

Notorious

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:29 AM

Just a thought, have any of you guys tried using Flash to deliver video content? It has come a long way and I've seen some pretty impressive results recently.
Statisticly 98% of connected computers have Flash player, 85% Media player and 68% quicktime player. So if it's viewing for the masses that any of you are after then it may be an interesting option.
Canon 350D:Sigma 10-20mm:Magic filter:Sea&sea housing:Athena dome:
BlueNude

#28 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Shawn, that was a really professional looking website......easy to navigate, the message got through no problem, not overly complex with whizz-bang bells and whistles, a perfect balance between artistic and corporate/photojournal professionalism and closed perfect by your service offer.
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#29 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

Shawn, the site is beautifully laid out. Really nice job and hope you gets some footage sales from it.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#30 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 09:40 PM

Guys,
Really appreciate the kind words and glad you liked the site. I just returned from cocos/malpelo trip...hope to post some good stuff from there in the coming coming month.
Shawn
www.bluespheremedia.com