• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:09 PM

The Solmar V is under new ownership and they are working on remodeling an area of the salon to add two computers so guests can check email and process images. They've asked me if most diver/photographers are using Mac or Windows. I see a bit of both when I'm traveling and since I'm a Mac person, I felt my answer would be biased. So, if you had access to a computer on a boat, which you you prefer, Mac or Windows?

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

Bonnie Bonnie Bonnie.......

Ooo this will get interesting.. hahaha

Windows for this kid, i am cheap.....

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:43 PM

Maybe I should add that this wasn't intended to be a Mac vs Windows thing. Just need the stats to make a fairly unbiased recommendation to my friends who own the boat. Also, I realize many people travel with their own laptops and might not use the ones on the boat, but recently my G4 power adapter died the morning of the first day of my trip and I would have loved to have a computer to use. So yes, lets keep this statistically, politically and anatomically correct.

#4 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:04 PM

Windows ... though it being a mac wouldn't stop me using it ... beggars can't be choosers after all :)

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

Windows for this kid, i am cheap.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and I use a Mac, or (in the light of the above) did you guess?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 frogfish

frogfish

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:04 AM

Windows, even though I hate it. The idea of learning a completely new operating system at this stage of my life (and buying all new programs) is too horrifying to contemplate.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)
Robert Delfs

Nikon D2X in Subal housing.
Tabula Int'l Ltd.

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:48 AM

The funny thing, Robert, is that there is nothing to learn! Without starting a Mac/PC debate, Macs are for people like us - they are SOOOOOOO simple!

Mind you I had to update my OS and buy a new version of Photoshop when I changed cameras!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#8 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:30 AM

Remember, a Mac can even run Windows if you have to! :)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:43 AM

Seriously. I have owned Macs and PC's in my office for many years. I have never required tech support to manage issues with my Macs, but have spent thousands of dollars and many hours with tech support managing issues with the PC's such as OS upgrades etc.
Both Mac and Windows will run any of the software you may require for email, internet, word processing, photo processing etc.
Finally, for a computer that other people will use on board, remember you are likely to have far fewer virus issues with a Mac. If you have a techie available to take care of PC issues that's great, if not, you are likely to have far fewer computer 'issues' with a Mac in my opinion.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#10 jarhed

jarhed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA/Underwater Photography<br />Travel

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:57 AM

For me, Windows. I am reasonably happy with windows and plan on never knowing any difference. I also fear change.....
John B
Nikon D7000, Nauticam Housing
http://overundertravels.smugmug.com/

#11 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:06 AM

I have a 12 inch Apple Powerbook, which I bought 2 years ago as a smaller travel laptop - for downloading images when in the field.

But I think it is seriously flawed.

It has real over-heating problems when the harddisk is being used hard. IE when downloading images. Basically it crashes. I find it very unnreliable at temperatures above 30 degrees. It only crashes when I am hammering the harddisk. I don't have a problem when doing other stuff. And I have never lost a single image on it - despite always making 2 further backups!

I never have a problem if I use it in air conditioning, but if I am staying in a place/boat without A/C then I can have issues. I often get to the point of balancing in on an A/C vent or a couple of cool cans from the fridge to make it more reliable!

This is not very serious issue, and a restart always solves them. At most it happens once or twice in a trip. And most usually when downloading a full 4 Gig card.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#12 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:07 AM

I always use PCs, while travelling or otherwise. I've crashed Macs every single time I've used one :) (this is true!)

#13 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:08 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/5150508.stm

They paid a lot of money for this report on how to beat viruses!

#14 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1273 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:22 AM

Just got a new PC like others have said can't rationalize dumping money into all new software.

#15 fdog

fdog

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:10 AM

Windows for me, too. Macs don't have anything close to AD for network administration.

Although I must admit that when traveling, I don't even take a laptop...just my cell phone with Windows Mobile 5.

All the best, James

#16 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:39 AM

Doesn't sound like networking's pertinent to this conversation, but I run 20+ Macs on a Network, with all the Remote Control I need. And it's been plug and play since day1.

#17 jcfig

jcfig

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

If they are adding two new computers to the boat, why not put one of each?

#18 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

Excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that. And they can even run on the same network. The Mac will have no problem converting and using Windows files.

#19 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

I'd prefer a PC (Windows.) Like others have pointed out, that's what I'm comfortable with.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#20 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:34 PM

If they are adding two new computers to the boat, why not put one of each?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I'm suggesting but wanted some real-world numbers to back up my recommendation. Some stats show Mac as being less than 15% of the market (don't quote me on this) but we wanted to narrow this down to the underwater photography market. So this poll is really helping. Thanks to all who voted...and keep those votes comin'!

Bonnie