• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 JoelD

JoelD

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

For what people will be using the machines for, I really don't see where one would have an advantage over the other, burning CD/DVDs of images, looking at images, etc. With that, I'd go for price....
Joel D.
http://www.widgetsandmore.com

Nikon D300, D70s & a bunch of Ikelite stuff and all sorts of stuff my wife doesn't know about. Shhhhhh!

Join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals Today

#22 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:04 PM

For what people will be using the machines for, I really don't see where one would have an advantage over the other, burning CD/DVDs of images, looking at images, etc.  With that, I'd go for price....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Size and weight are big factors also. I just bought one of the last Dell Inspiron 710m because I thought it had the best combination of performance, size/weight and price. I just couldn't pass up a 12" , 4 lb notebook with 1G ram and 100G disc for around $800.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#23 dawktah

dawktah

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Trying to learn as much about photography

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:53 PM

I'm have a Windows XP laptop. If they wanted to do it right install and network, and one PC. Since you mentioned email they are investing in some type of broadband device. Those that bring laptops can connect up via Ethernet from cabins if they wanted.

#24 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

I am a mac user but in this situation i would probably use pc' just because of the cost (taking into account the conditions on board and general abuse that would be wielded out)

#25 BotSO

BotSO

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

I think one of each makes sense. But what do I know, I'm a mac user.

#26 Steve Jones

Steve Jones

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

Windows for me. But I'm eternally jealous of Mac users, 'cause their machines look sooooo great......

:D
Steve Jones
www.millionfish.com - millionfish@hotmail.com
Nikon - Seacam

#27 SilvioMarchena

SilvioMarchena

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

[quote name='JoelD' date='Jul 6 2006, 08:47 PM']
"I really don't see where one would have an advantage over the other, burning CD/DVDs of images, looking at images, etc. With that, I'd go for price..."

I **had** to switch from Macs to PCs because of software, but having been on PCs now for about 3 years I have to admit that I see no real difference. X is as bloated as XP, the GUIs are equally overdone, privacy/protection will always be a matter of common sense. PCs end up being slightly more configurable and in most cases far less expensive, though Macs have a sort of savoy faire that is undeniable. I am not convinced one has more reliability than the other.

Truthfully, given the option of investing in one platform or the other (software, accessories, expansion, peripherals) I believe I'd lean towards PC. I would go with the best speed, memory, storage volume and monitor for the lesser amount of money.

Where Mac once was truly superior, I think claims to that effect today are more about the hat than about the cattle.
Cheers,
Manaul

D2x in Seacam w Z-240s or SS200s, superdome and flat port, S45 and S180, 10.5, 12-24, 14, 17-35, 60, 105, 200, Seacam Wet Diopters

#28 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

My last two cents worth; yes the machines are very similar, and I can even use a PC if I have to. Having said that I think there is one thing to consider, particularly if they go with one Mac, one PC. This makes sense as fully one third of the folks according to this poll would like Macs. (Way more than the general population which speaks to the overall greater intelligence of this group. :D ) They should look seriously at a fully loaded Mac Mini Intel Machine. Cost about $800, add a $200 flat screen. Would take up minimal space on the boat, the screen could be inset in a panel. Add an Airport. What a great setup. This will do everything. Run all the apps including Windows if they choose, burn CD/DVD's, provide wireless internet for the whole boat (Mac and PC). Nothing I know of in the PC world would beat it with regard to space utilization, and feature for feature probably as good a price as a decent equivalent PC, maybe better.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#29 IMSushi

IMSushi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

Yes, I admit I have a problem. I've been a Mac user since 1982. That means my family's first computer was a 256mb Apple Mac. Since then, I am on my 4th Mac. So, that answers the question. But, to avoid the rush for the public use computers, I'd probably take an iBook that I can use at my leisure. If the boat had Macs, it would make it more likely that I would use them.

I'm glad loftus just mentioned the Mac Mini. I could see people just brining their own portable hard drives and conecting it with a 2.0 USB. I would. This is what I have been considering for myself except that I could not really view my results except on the camera's LCD.
Pat Crane
Nikon D80, S&S DX-D80, YS-110 x 2, TTL III, ULCS, 60mm, Tok 10-17, Sig 17-70
Back-up: Sony DSC-P10, Inon D2000

#30 wchen

wchen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

I vote that they get both plus an airport for those with laptops.

I'm with Herb, I carry my Dell 710m everywhere plus my 60GB video iPod for backups.

#31 JoelD

JoelD

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

Size and weight are big factors also. I just bought one of the last Dell Inspiron 710m because I thought it had the best combination of performance, size/weight and price. I just couldn't pass up a 12" , 4 lb notebook with 1G ram and 100G disc for around $800.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For computers that are going to live on a boat, I don't see where size/weight is much of a concern, unless I've totally misread this thread.

For Travel, I agree, my laptop is a 17" monster with 2 gigs of ram and 120gig hard drive It, along with all the crap that goes along with it weighs in about 12 lbs. But when you need it, you need it, or at least thats what I keep telling myself.
Joel D.
http://www.widgetsandmore.com

Nikon D300, D70s & a bunch of Ikelite stuff and all sorts of stuff my wife doesn't know about. Shhhhhh!

Join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals Today

#32 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:12 AM

I have counted five Macs in my house including a new Intel laptop with a fabulous screen that makes any picture look fantastic. (It belongs to my son, a QA test technician for Yamaha Music).
I have a little laptop (the same as Alex) which I take with me on trips anda posh flatscreen job with 2gb of memory and a fast burner which my wife seems to have adopted as her own.
However, I am writing this on an eMac. It has enough memory to process and edit pictures, is built for use in schools so it is very tough, and it did not cost very much. Seems ideal for live-aboard life - and yes they are all networked by Airport Extreme.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#33 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

Because they're cheap and the fact I've never had a problem with toshiba (Windows) laptops, I've stayed with them.

Here's my non-scientific opinion. Most people bring their own laptops. Your stated reason for buying these 2 laptops was just in case someone had a failure. Another reason might be they forgot a power adapter or maybe don't own a laptop and want to surf the internet. In any case, 1 of each, as suggested above, will serve all of your clients and cover every base. Just my 1 cents worth.

Gary
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#34 imp

imp

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

hmmm.. my trusty mac powerbook and ext hard for backup....
Imran Ahmad
Photographer

http://www.escapeinc.com.sg/
imp@escapeinc.com.sg
www.flickr.com/escapeinc

#35 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:27 PM

Mac (but Intel), with 80GB external drive and firewire card reader. For the boat, though, I would guess that windows machines are far more common. Forbes suggests that at the end of 06, the Mac market share might be 3.4%. End of 2004 with 2.4% so it is growing but still more folks who use macs can use PCs than the converse (I would guess).

BVA

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#36 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

Hey, what about us Linux users?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:
---------------
Mark

#37 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:17 PM

Hey, what about us Linux users?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's actually a good point.

Be sure to install cygwin on the windoz PC. That the best way to do any serious file organization.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#38 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:28 PM

I use an old Fujitsu Lifebook P series, but only for travelling. This one does not get to come out for normal everyday use, however when travelling it is waaay cool because it is tiny and light, the size of a paperback book, only a lot thinner, and fits in the pocket of my camera bag. I stick a flash card adapter in the PCMCIA (ppl can't memorize computer industry acronyms) slot, so nothing is sticking out of the little package. Very neat. Size, shape and weight is everything to me when I travel, I schlepp way too much gear as it is and am always looking for ways to make my luggage lighter, tighter, more compact, less likely to draw the attention of some airline official having a bad day! Every time I go thru security at airports where the laptop needs to be dragged out I feel l am so thankful to have this little gizmo... no need for any external drives, cardreaders or other gadgets. OK, so it's not great to have a tiny screen for the final photoediting, but it stores my pictures during the trip, I can burn cd's, show my co travellers the day's crop of shots, do some photoediting, check on my mail & surf the web whenever I find an accessible WAP, watch a DVD during boring layovers. Mine is a few years old now, but it is performing just fine, P4, 40GBHD, I imagine one could be found on ebay at quite low cost.

#39 mtnman

mtnman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:46 PM

Windows for this oldtimer.

#40 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:41 PM

Bonnie-

The new Intel based Mac's will run windows xp or Mac OS.. you just turn them on and the startup screen let's the user choose between the OS. Im MAC based at home and PC at work and we use this feature quite a bit...seems to be working so far for us..

Boot camp is what we are using...there are other programs available..

http://docs.info.app...l?artnum=303572

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller