53 replies to this topic

#41 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1730 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

My MacBookPro has not proved to be particularly reliabe so far - the Jury's out. On the other hand, both my G4 12" Powrbooks have run flawlessly, although one doesn't like writing DVDs on boat with motor vibration - who can blame it. For travel I'll stick with the 12" and a 60Gig iPod for additional back up (since it too appears to be reliable and very straightforward to use with the Powerbook and is small enough to carry ijn a shirt pocket!).
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#42 Sloss

Sloss

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:59 AM

Bonnie,

I suppose one of each (a PC and a Mac) would be ideal if they want to spend the money, but if it is just for checking email and working on pictures I say go for two PCs. While most people serious about their photography bring their own laptops, many people will be on the machine working on images or even just downloading cards and burning images to disc. We had a PC on the liveaboard I worked on, and it got a lot of use and ABUSE.

People always seemed to love changing the screen saver and your default settings you politely tell them to leave everything as it is during the orientation. People just love to push buttons. To make those computers as simple as possible and dedicated to just email and PS is the best. We had a really cheap setup, that worked great. It is amazing what a $600 HP for example gives you these days. Besides, when someone dumps a cup of coffee all over the laptop, the crew won't blink an eye to replace it. :lol:
Underwater Lightroom - Manage, Edit, Showcase - Make it Easy on Yourself
Underwater Photoshop - Take digital editing to a new level...

#43 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

That is the strength of the eMac. It is built for use in schools. If you dump your lunch on the keyboard (it is going to be on a boat after all!) you just get another keyboard! ...and it is cheap to buy.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#44 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:09 AM

Actually Apple have stopped making the eMac. I still challenge anyone to come up with a more elegant, space and cost effective solution than an Intel MacMini with 2GB of memory and a $200 17" flat screen, running both Windows and MacOS, keeping both the PC and Mac people happy. Those doubters should check one out at your local Mac store.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#45 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

Agree with loftus. Mac mini is the go.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#46 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:48 AM

I use an old Fujitsu Lifebook P series, but only for travelling. This one does not get to come out for normal everyday use, however when travelling it is waaay cool because it is tiny and light, the size of a paperback book, only a lot thinner, and fits in the pocket of my camera bag...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is actually one of the reasins I made the tongue in cheek Linux comment...
Linux ix killer for machnes that are too "old" for Windows. It is relatively cheap and pretty robust.

I'm using a Mac for my photos but also have a Linux box available.

I was wondering if there is anyone else out there thinking about, trying to ues, or using successfully any flavor of Linux for their photo work?
---------------
Mark

#47 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1571 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

Mark:
Using Gimp instead of Photoshop or even PSP is possible, but so is making the bricks to build your own house. Of course at the end of the day, you can take solace in the fact that you are somehow more pure than the guys running Windows or Tiger (or whatever predator Apple comes up with next, maybe we can get them to make the future OSs named after sharks). On the other hand getting Photoshop to run under Crossover or something like that really isn't running Linux is it.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#48 clownphoto

clownphoto

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

Windows for me....
Dive Travel Services

Janet Czapski
Nikon D300 in Aquatica housing, lots of lenses & dual Inon Z220's

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - Augustine

#49 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:45 PM

Pixel Image Editor ( http://www.kanzelsbe...xel/?page_id=12 ) is supposed to be as close to Photoshop as it gets. I have'nt tried it myself, but it's available for a variety of platforms. It's $32.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#50 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

It has real over-heating problems when the harddisk is being used hard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Alex, do you think yours overheats? Check this out:

Posted Image

Yes, the guy is frying an egg on it! :D :)

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#51 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:46 AM

hahaha, like my maxtor externals...

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#52 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:52 AM

Mac for this guy. Sure it's slower on muscle and graphics but the software I use (particularly FCP which is only Apple) it's the only way to go.
Plus it looks cool and I can be trendy when I want to be.
For the boat I'd use eSATA enclosures with a express PC/34 card for whatever system. Nothing like at least 600GB RAID to help move things along.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#53 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:22 AM

MacBookPro - 2ghz, 2gig RAM. I am running Final Cut Studio editing in HDV. All apps are usuable on it (but can slow down when doing some serious crunching). I am very happy with it.
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#54 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:49 AM

MacBook Pro 17".

Love it. Easy to use, but... and I think this gets overlooked a lot, it is very "scriptable". I use iView MediaPro and can write some cool scripts with AppleScript, plus when I really want to geek-out, I can open a shell and run BSD Unix scripts all day long.

I use PC's for my "day job" (programmer). Ughh. Viruses, spyware, incompatibilities, crappy trial software, crashes, the bloated registry, unexplainable hiccups (ever notice XP just sort of "stop" for a while?). I find it funny how many little balloons and beeps it makes when I pop in a USB drive or other device - ding, balloon, ding, balloon, etc, etc, and then finally you can use the device. Same device on a Mac - plug it in and start using it. And Windoze has the nerve to continuously tell/ask me inane things like "You have unused icons on your desktop blah blah blah...".

My only complaint about my mac at this point is that Photoshop CS2 is not yet a universal (i.e. intel support) app, and so not as fast as it ought to be. But it is usable for now, and Adobe says it is working on it.

Cp

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678