#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 09:23 AM

See the news article at DPreview.com:

http://www.dpreview....isuperccdsr.asp

The SuperCCD SR (Super Dynamic Range) offers almost two stops more dynamic range than conventional CCD. Beneath each microlens on the sensor surface (a photosite) are two photodiodes, the primary captures a dark and normal light levels (more sensitive), the secondary captures brighter details (less sensitive). The signals from the two photodiodes are intelligently combined by the camera to deliver an image with extended dynamic range.

Unfortunately, this first SuperCCDSR will only have a 3 megapixel resolution. But this is very promising!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 09:33 AM

The SuperCCD SR (Super Dynamic Range) offers almost two stops more dynamic range than conventional CCD. Beneath each microlens on the sensor surface (a photosite) are two photodiodes, the primary captures a dark and normal light levels (more sensitive), the secondary captures brighter details (less sensitive). The signals from the two photodiodes are intelligently combined by the camera to deliver an image with extended dynamic range.

Unfortunately, this first SuperCCDSR will only have a 3 megapixel resolution. But this is very promising!

Cheers
James

Its about time. I've been wondering why they didn't make that extra green sensor in the Bayer array a darker green or darker full-spectrum for a while.
Or just the ability to easily capture 2 images at different ISO or exposure time w/ one button press.

Checkout HDRShop or google search for "HDR" to see what you can do when this is carreid to its logical conclusion. Determining exposure is something that can easily be done as a post process once you are able to capture enough orders of magnitude of brightness.

#3 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 10:09 AM

Cheers
James

Its about time. I've been wondering why they didn't make that extra green sensor in the Bayer array a darker green or darker full-spectrum for a while.
Or just the ability to easily capture 2 images at different ISO or exposure time w/ one button press.

Checkout HDRShop or google search for "HDR" to see what you can do when this is carreid to its logical conclusion. Determining exposure is something that can easily be done as a post process once you are able to capture enough orders of magnitude of brightness.

You know, I am now at the point that I don't even care about these announcements until I can buy a camera with it in.

It seems like the time to production for anything like this is about 24-36 months, and then the first generation is not up to scratch.

I am starting to think that maybe I wont have to replace my Fuji S2 at all this year. That wouldn't be a bad thing at all!

M

#4 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 11:23 AM

I would be surprised if these schemes had not been considered. I suspect the problem has to do with loss of sharpness and resolution. This is an issue anytime you try to interpolate color or brightness from a sensor at a different location. The new Fuji chips may have the same problem, although from looking at the drawing of their layout, the extra sensor may be close enough to not do too much damage. We'll know when the cameras come out.

Foveon is right about the advantages of having the colors resolved at the same location, it's too bad that their scheme of stacking the sensors introduces so much noise that their dynamic range is poor.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#5 chrisg

chrisg

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 02:07 PM

I would be surprised if these schemes had not been considered. I suspect the problem has to do with loss of sharpness and resolution. This is an issue anytime you try to interpolate color or brightness from a sensor at a different location. The new Fuji chips may have the same problem, although from looking at the drawing of their layout, the extra sensor may be close enough to not do too much damage. We'll know when the cameras come out.

Foveon is right about the advantages of having the colors resolved at the same location, it's too bad that their scheme of stacking the sensors introduces so much noise that their dynamic range is poor.

Not sure if foveon makes any sense anyway - in theory the bayer cells should produce more spacial resolution than if the 4 of them were combined into one rgb sensing cell. Its easy to come up with at least trivial cases where an omniscient oracle could extract more info from the Bayer cell for instance black letters on a white page.

I dont know how smart the software is at de-bayerizing - guess i'll find out when I get my canon sdk :-)