20 replies to this topic

#21 Sloss

Sloss

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:20 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have to share this new experience, as it just happened to me this morning.

Over the last few weeks I have successfully sold some excess photo and dive equipment I had laying around that would be of better use in someone else's kit. (Sorry Mike Veitch, no strobe in the stocking this year) Anyway, last month my wife and I came back to the States to stay for a while and last week we went out and bought a new Nissan Xterra. That being said, I put my old Pathfinder up for sale and put an ad in the Post with my number.

Well, to make a long story short, the phone started ringing, and along with all the legitimate buyers came the scam artists with all the fake cashier's check stories and how they would buy my truck without even seeing it. The guy wanted to send the money by cashiers check without even seeing my truck and with no negotiating price either for that matter.

This guy wanted my name, address and phone number to send the payment in 2 days and their shipper will come pick the vehicle up. Of course when I asked for a number, company name, and/or web address, I got the run around along with some fake numbers. When I caller ID'd the guy, his answering machine directed me to a number to call only using the phone number I want taken off their list. What BS, they probably use your number for some kind of scam. Anyway, to make a long story short, cashiers checks are not even completely safe as many banks will cash bogus ones and then make you responsible for the funds. Be careful out there!

Also great read about the laptop story! I used that as some dynamite on this latest scammer and left him toungue-tied Hilarious! :guiness:
Underwater Lightroom - Manage, Edit, Showcase - Make it Easy on Yourself
Underwater Photoshop - Take digital editing to a new level...