• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

I was lured a short way down the dark path by Bill Cooper (aka papa on most dive related boards) and handed a Sony HDR HC3 in a SeaTool housing, loaned by Ryan of Reef Photo and Video.

I did one dive with the camera, a night dive on Manuelita Shallows. Of the 44 minutes and ~25.5 GB of footage I captured I edited down to a more respectable (if still large) 3 min 40 seconds.

As a newbie, I of course have some wobbles, some bumps, and with only one light on the housing, some back scatter. I'm hoping that all you esteemed video types can look past that...

My wife did two dives with this rig, including a truly killer diver on Alcyone with thousands of schooling hammerheads, so I think I may have HDV in my future (there's no emoticon for how I am feeling right now :lol: ).

Maneulita Night Dive

This, of course, suffers from web compression. The original on a big screen looks (IMHO of course), awesome.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:35 PM

Waaay cool Craig!

Never seen so many sharks. Now where are the hammerheads??

Nicely edited too.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

I've been to the Cocos about 10 times over the years. The night dives at Manuelita are always on the lee side and you rarely, if ever, see the hammers at night. Never the less, congrats on your first video experience...there is a whole world of fun (and work) ahead of you.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

Hi Craig
Well done, cool night shark shots there.

Great to see the little HC3 films well underwater.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au