• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ickledevil

ickledevil

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:23 AM

Hi all im a freediver, and recently wished i had a decent u/w camera so im now in the market.. i know all the talk is digital these days but the prices are scaring me somewhat.. i want a camera i can do both close up and scene work with to a depth of 30m and being in the UK as most places a strobe is essential. The pictures will mostly be for me and my familys enjoyment but ive seen a few things that if photographed i'd love to have blown up for a nice framed picture. Thing is ive been offered a Motormarine II-EX amd strobe for £50 i know they are discontinued now and cant find much info on them anyone used one and how do they perform.. is it gonna be suitiable or should i bite the bullet call the bank and go digital?
Joe

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 02:53 AM

Joe, having been there myself, start with digital...if you look at the classifieds and email some of the sponsors on this board you can probably pickup a used digital system at a good price... Save your money and get a small digital system with strobe..

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller

#3 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

I was discussing this the other night. My wife and I started with simple sealife film cameras. The cost of film and development was $300 for the first trip we took. Needless to say it was the last with a film style camera. The cost of my digital camera with a small external strobe just under $600.

If you're freediving you'll no doubt be looking for something really compact. If its money that you need to save and still have a decent camera, I found the Oly SP350 with Oly housing very wallet friendly. Add a simple Sunpak G-Strobe (small and comes with a small arm and base) you'll have a compact unit for around $600 that will take decent pics. You can purchase everything on Ebay rather reasonably.
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#4 ickledevil

ickledevil

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:16 AM

Thanks for that, guessed as much... anyone got some shots with this camera or simila that i can check out?
Joe

#5 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:58 AM

Joe -

If you go to my website and look at the Truk Lagoon and Bonaire photos they were all taken with an inexpensive 5mp Olympus camera... I think you would get about the same results with other small systems provided you get something that allows you to add different wet lenses..

M.
Michael V. Palasz
www.fishlens.com
D2X and D80 / Nexus / Ikelite / Inon / Heinrichs iTTL controller