Another new Nikon

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:39 AM

Most (not all) designers just don't have a clue. For an inkjet (we are talking print res of only 360dpi) display print job the other day, the client asked for a an image 3metre x 2metre@ 300"dpi", with the .tif to be sent via EMAIL. That would have been 2.34 GB file. ouch.
It as for a shop fit, high up on a 2-storey wall, with a minimum viewing distance of about 6 metres. Needless to say I ended up sending a much more sensible alternative, direct to the guy printing the job.

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240

#42 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:02 AM

Quote "Silly rule? Seems like simple math to me.... yes, its easy to uprez any file to 50mb.. but which file will look better? thats the important thing here and the point of my original post."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my point. As a quality control measure, a minimum files size requirement does nothing as anyone can up size anything to any size. In the end, someone with a trained eye has to look at the photo and decide if it's acceptable. File size requirements are just a waste of time and space.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#43 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 22 July 2006 - 05:49 AM

Sorry everyone. It's entirely my fault. I knew I should not have bought the D200 set up. I haven't even got it wet yet (still flooding Fuji S2 s) nor got a housing for a D200. It was tempting fate that I should buy a new camera just before Nikon brought out a new one. I also put my money into stocks the day before Black Wednesday! I'm just that sort of guy.

As to file sizes, if we could dissuade art editors and production men from Photochopping the pictures it would go a long way to getting good quality into print. Why do they do it? Because they can!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#44 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

Right... so here is the first pic.... of the new D80!!!

personally, i don't buy it.. another fake if you ask me..

Notice it has an integrated vertical grip... if you look closely at the Nikon teaser.. no vert grip!

Posted Image

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#45 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:07 AM

That's definitely a fake, Mike!

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#46 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:12 AM

OK Mike.

As you already picked...

For a start flash is the wrong shape - should be flat on the top. Camera has too much vertical elevation (too tall) and the mode dial should be angled rather than flat as it is in the picture above.

Looks good either way.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#47 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:09 AM

but anthony... will it fit in my housing?

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#48 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:28 AM

I would not count out the vertical grip necessarily. Why couldn't the new camera be a D3H? Personally I cannot believe that Nikon is still selling a 4MP body. I think that the H series needs an MP jump much more than the D70 does.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#49 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

I would not count out the vertical grip necessarily.  Why couldn't the new camera be a D3H?  Personally I cannot believe that Nikon is still selling a 4MP body.  I think that the H series needs an MP jump much more than the D70 does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The wording on the teaser mentions "affordability" and "enthusiast" which I assume would preclude a new "pro" D3H. I wish it were so though. If my D2H had 10MP I would have little need for another upgrade.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#50 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:34 PM

there isn't going to be a D3H because the D2x combines the features of an H and an X. Its 7 megapixel, 8fps high speed crop feature takes care of that end.

the new one will be a D70 successor at the $1k price point.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#51 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

there isn't going  to be a D3H because the D2x combines the features of an H and an X.  Its 7 megapixel, 8fps high speed crop feature takes care of that end.

the new one will be a D70 successor at the $1k price point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. The camera that will be announced in a few days or so will in all likely-hood be the D70 replacement but I think there will be a D3H in the future. From everything I've read Nikon is continuing development of the LBCAST sensor and it's the sensor that sets the D2h apart from other DSLRs I've used. I would really like to see a 10-12MP LBCAST sensor and I'll be the first one in line if Nikon gives us one. I just don't think it's going to be this time.

#52 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

I don't think there's room in between the D200 and the D2x for another camera. If they make a "pro" body 12 M pixels and 8 frames/sec camera, it'll completely replace the D2x.

The LBCAST sensor was the reason that they reduced the price of such a nice camera body to $2000. Of course they won't use that process in another camera unless they make lots of improvements.

The top reasons for a new Nikon Top-of-the-line body are:

Higher frame rate at the full ~12Mp resolution. ( I'll stick my neck out and predict they won't make a cropped sensor at higher resolution ).

Better high ISO noise and resolution.

Full Frame ( let's not get into this one :D )

All the above are possible with either CMOS or LBCAST, I'm not so sure about CCD. Why would a photographer care which one they choose if they can accomplish the above.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#53 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:10 PM

I quess I'm going against the grain here but Nikon has maintained the H and X designations with both the D1 and D2 versions and there's no reason to think there won't be a D3H as well as a D3X. The H and the X are targeted at different pro market segments. The H at PJ's and sports photo segment. The X at the studio/fashion/nature market.

#54 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

I agree with Larry that the H might continue for sometime. Especially if the X goes to FF.

While the H gets a hard time from photo-enthusiasts and measurebators (and people like me for whom it is no-use) it is popular with those who work as PJs (photojournalists) and know their market. A local PJ I know has D2H and a D2Hs and is more than happy with their res because he shoots for newspapers. He has a D2X too - for certain jobs - but he is making so much money from his D2H images that he can buy a D2X for fun!

In our photographic world we don't meet that many photographers who do PJ stuff. But there are many out there and while I'd expect Nikon to bumb the D3H to 8MP these people aren't clamering for more megapixels (but would like better high ISO noise to match the Canon 1D Mk2n).

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#55 KarstenMoran

KarstenMoran

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:34 PM

Another way to prove this 50mb minimum rule is stupid: you can take an image from a D100 or D70, save it as a 32-bit TIFF file, and there you have it, a 70mb file that's only 3000x2000 (6mp).  Aboslutely no added information, just takes more space  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you'll find that they won't accept 32-bit files. 16bit files must be circa 5300x3500mb to meet submission guidelines = 50mb.

now, not to drag us back into a tangent, but quck comments:

The logic behind the 50mb requirement, as I understand it, is as a quality control guideline. Think about it from a photo buyers and agents perspective. If you were an agency attempting to get images from photographers and needed a fast way to move a tremendous volume of images through quality control, a strict set of guidelines would be the best way.
It might just be a size (file size) requirement, and it is counterintuitive, but frankly setting such a guideline is the best way to regulate quality. If all images are about 50mb 300dpi (just a standard) 16bit, you can open up any image, view it at 100%, and know pretty much immediately whether it is of high enough quality. That is a bar that the industry sets. And frankly, an image might look great at native output, but how will it hold up when you blow it up to xxx size? The buyer needs to know what he or she is getting and won't tolerate images of varying sizes. Remember, it's all about standards. A standard has to be somewhere, whether for editing, or output. 50mb is simply a representation of a quality standard in a method easily translated to both buyers and photographers.

Finally, regarding some of the prior comments, in my experience most agency personell are better versed in digital media than most of the photographers they represent. As a photographer, I appreciate this and what the agent does: sell my images.

#56 AzonIc

AzonIc

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

http://www.engadget....-pics-revealed/

*might fit* ? don't have my d70 infront to compare.

Looks like SD memory though

#57 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

These are the leaked pictures, looks legit, but let's wait and see.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks smaller than the D70 and apparently takes SD cards.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#58 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6181 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:59 PM

That looks like it would fit in a d70... except maybe the buttons on the left...., but who needs those!

#59 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

Mike,

I hate to really stuff up your world, but I’d be astonished if these two cameras could share a housing. :rolleyes:

Just had a quick play in PS...

It does look like the D80 has dust on the sensor though! What were those turkeys thinking!!

Attached Images

• nikon_d80_BACK.gif
  • nikon_d80_d70.gif

Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com

#60 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

As an aside though - the finder looks a lot more like the D200 than the D70...
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com