22 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

I've uploaded a page of Bali diving videos that I shot when I was there in May.

Brutally frank feedback appreciated as ever.

Nick

#2 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:36 PM

Just watched the Tulumben wreak dive! Loved it. :guiness:

You've got excellent video technique.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:38 PM

Nick it's so cool to go for a dive some place else while I sit here in AUS.

You have some realy nice material there and I'm jealous of the clear, calm waters, and you are very steady with the camera, well done.

All I can say is GET YOURSELF A @#$%^&* HDV CAMERA :guiness: ;)
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:52 PM

Cheers guys ;)

Wags, I told you, I'm holding out for a RED.

Nah, I pick up the Z1 on 1st September. Housing should follow soon after. Can't wait except I have about 2 years' backlog of SD editing to fit in first :guiness:

Fancy getting stuck into some HDV macro with me in Lembeh in November?

Nick

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

Just downloaded the main Tulamben. Nice stuff but a bit of vignetting in the WA shots.
Annabelle must be happy for that one. I like the guy doing the breast stroke :guiness:. Also you may wish to consider getting the logo on the corners and fade in the website at the beginning and the end. The link is distracting and detracts from the shots. Tell annabelle subtlety is gold LOL

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the comments Drew.

The Gates VX2K vignettes quite a bit. All that stuff is zoomed in a bit from wide. It's a nightmare to judge on the monitor without an overscan mode and obviously I didn't want to lose too much FOV. No problem on a TV but obviously on a computer screen you can see the corners on some shots.

I would have faded in and out at the ends but I've noticed that some media players leave either the first or last frame on the screen after playing the file so I thought I'd grab that wee extra bit of publicity.

The big crude link is all my own work, not really Annabel's idea at all. Perhaps I've overdone it. Point taken ;)

Nick

p.s. The breast stroke guy was flapping all over the place before and after those 5 seconds. Perhaps I should have left that bit in :guiness:

#7 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:38 AM

hey Nick.. why don't you come to Bali in October? i will be there.... you can stay a month and then go to Lembeh.. haha

how big is the file? maybe i download it overnight....

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#8 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:19 AM

There are 9 new videos up. The 320 x 240 WMV files range from 6.8 to 17.4Mb. The versions on Google Video are bigger (480px wide) but about double the file size.

Bali might be an option depending on how editing goes in the meantime. Who are you diving with Mike?

#9 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:40 AM

i will be stayin at Scuba Seraya bear Tulamben. Doin a photo class from Oct 8-14 but have a few days before and after the course to shoot for myself....

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:17 AM

It amazes me how many housing and lens makers still allow vignetting to be "ok". Broadcast is no longer just for TV. I mean anything from LCD projections to full screen presentations and the 'look' would really be unprofessional. Not to mention the web being a new media as in your case.
Just have the obligatory 3 secs of marketing on both ends, even contact info.
Actually I would've left out breast stroke boy. Wouldn't want to embarass the client or start trends. :)

Thanks for the comments Drew.

The Gates VX2K vignettes quite a bit. All that stuff is zoomed in a bit from wide. It's a nightmare to judge on the monitor without an overscan mode and obviously I didn't want to lose too much FOV. No problem on a TV but obviously on a computer screen you can see the corners on some shots.

I would have faded in and out at the ends but I've noticed that some media players leave either the first or last frame on the screen after playing the file so I thought I'd grab that wee extra bit of publicity.

The big crude link is all my own work, not really Annabel's idea at all. Perhaps I've overdone it. Point taken :)

Nick

p.s. The breast stroke guy was flapping all over the place before and after those 5 seconds. Perhaps I should have left that bit in :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

Yep I aggree with Drew about the vignetting thing, but it does look like it will vary from camera to camera to due the slightly different CCD positions and camera construction specs. I'm sure the housing guys will take this into account from now on especially with this new HDV 16.9 format. Mine Vignetts on the bottom corners a tiny bit while another guy has it in the top corners so that gives you and idea how much each camera can vary.

Nick, right now I have two different overseas companys buying HDV 16.9 shots from me, they found me due to my website and they are not interested in 4.3. Whats also intersting is I'm going to load up small demo sample clips of what they are after so they can place them into their timeline to see if they work then I just load up the full size versions. So not only a website is important but a fast server with lots of space helps if you you want to sell stuff.

What housing did you decide on?

Nick the Tulamben-Drop-off-night.wmv link is dead mate. I would also suggest to encode them out as 25 fps so they are not jerky.

One thing we have learnt doing day vids is people want to see themselves in the vids alot more so than just having stunning footage.

Again that clear still water look so loverly to shoot in. :D Nice work....
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#12 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:18 PM

Link fixed. Thanks for telling me that Wags. Unix and its wretched case sensitivity grrr.

The 25fps is a difficult one. I save a hell of a lot of file size going to 12.5fps. Even so, with this set of videos I've already more or less doubled the file sizes I used to upload as bandwidths generally increase. But as you say, it's a little jerky.

I messed about (AGAIN) with bitrates for ages and ages. I was making them 86% quality-VBR from Procoder but the varying file sizes were driving me nuts so in the end I just made them all 512mbps plus 64mbps audio.

Still waiting for a quote or two before I decide which Z1 housing to get.

Wags are you shooting 50i? I am thinking of shooting everything in 60i. I reckon that will a little more marketable worldwide and 20% more information has got to be good for most conversions (e.g 15fps web movies). Tourists on the liveaboard can have NTSC SD DVDs for the time being to play in their multi-system TVs.

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:42 PM

I have a PAL camera 50i

Nick watching PAL DVD's I made then NTSC ones. Pal looks much better due to the higher res.

Here something interesting.
If you have Prem Pro 2 and Apsect HD 4+. (Free Trial Downloads)
You can import the 50i HDV from the camera, and as it comes in Aspect HD will not only convert the m2t to it's special AVI format for easy realtime editing but can convert it to a progressive file as well in one go.

Then you edit in a progressive timeline, then export out a (NTSC) 60i m2t file and then send it back to the (PAL) 50i camera. Once you start sending it back the 50i camera will kick into 60i and record it at that. I have done it with both my 50i FX1 and A1 cameras and the footage looks great.

So then you have a HDV tape with 60i footage.

Cool hey :D

#14 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:12 AM

Oh sorry, I forgot you had the FX1 not the Z1.

That process is cool, if I understand it correctly, and great when you need 60i from 50i footage, but it's not going to look as good as footage originally shot at 60i. I didn't expect a PAL FX1 would record at 60i over firewire.

I think Vegas can do some of that stuff too but the plug-in comes under a different name (Connect???, Gearshift???). I'm kind of leaving that complicated HDV stuff out of my brain for now until I actually have the gear and some footage, by which time things may have moved on a little and new version of plug-ins, codecs etc. will be around.

I'm thinking NTSC DVDs downsampled from native 60i HDV footage will be more than fine for tourists. I might sell the geeky types a HD-WMV file on a DVD-ROM (like on Howard Hall's "Coral Sea Adventure") as well at a premium price.

Nick

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:38 AM

Wags, that's the camera mounting problem in a housing. CCD variances are in 10s of micrometers. Hardly enough to throw off lens alignment to a dome port. Now dimensions of cameras can have variances in mm but that's the housing manufacturers problem of cutting things so fine. They have to make allowances of a few mm. What's a few hundred dollars more? :D
Nick I wouldn't bother with 25fps. 12.5fps is fine since more computers can playback smoother vs newer ones with 256MB graphics cards etc. NTSC DVD is fine for most in Asia except for Aussie/Euro clients with older PAL DVD players. Incredible how so many newer DVD players still don't do multisystem.

Yep I aggree with Drew about the vignetting thing, but it does look like it will vary from camera to camera to due the slightly different CCD positions and camera construction specs. I'm sure the housing guys will take this into account from now on especially with this new HDV 16.9 format. Mine Vignetts on the bottom corners a tiny bit while another guy has it in the top corners so that gives you and idea how much each camera can vary.

Nick, right now I have two different overseas companys buying HDV 16.9 shots from me, they found me due to my website and they are not interested in 4.3. Whats also intersting is I'm going to load up small demo sample clips of what they are after so they can place them into their timeline to see if they work then I just load up the full size versions. So not only a website is important but a fast server with lots of space helps if you you want to sell stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drew

#16 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:08 AM

O yeh welcome back Drew, looks like you had a great time on your last trip. Loved that humpy pic.

When another FX or Z1 comes around, I will pop it in the housing to see how it goes, but yes I think they do cut if abit fine. What about your new one for the HDX 200 or what ever you got. How did it go?

#17 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

After seeing some of those video clips I am really looking forward to going to Bali next July, 07 on board the Voyager liveaboard. I was to have gone this past Dec on a Fam with my partner but back surgery kept me out of the water so he went to make a final check without me. He loved it. If anyone is interested in joining me next year please let me know. I would love to meet some of the friends I have made on wetpixel.

Good films....I do hope you are submitting something to theSan Diego UnderSea Film Festival this year.. remember the deadline is Aug. 15
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#18 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:45 PM

I really love your sense of shot composition and you've got a very steady hand (I'm so envious!). Great color, and the cutting is very good.

The only thing to maybe tinker with is the ambient sound. Maybe space the breathing out a bit more (more time in between breaths) and drop the volume of the ambient in a couple of the clips (i.e., Pura Jepun) a bit more so it becomes more of a background sound.

Wonderful work!

#19 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

hahaha... yes Nick... stop breathing!

Still haven't downloaded one... soon i tell ya soon!

#20 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:17 PM

Cheers Mary, points well taken about the breathing. I've listened to that breathing loop so many thousands of times now I don't know if it sounds good or bad.

By the way a video for you is still on my list. I'm a slow worker :D