• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:46 PM

I've posted a new video from Cocos Island on my website. This one features more of the reef life and hammerheads.

This clip illustrates a real problem I noticed with the INON wide angle lens, HC3 and SeaTool housing. We got really pronounced smearing/vignetting of the vertical edges of the frame with this lens. I wonder if this may be more pronounced in low light conditions (most of this footage was shoot at 90ft+ on heavily overcast days and with no supplemental light). Zooming in somewhat does not help, if anything it makes it worse.

Anyhow, the video is at the end of this link. Most of it was shot by Wendy, my wife.

Comments welcome.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#2 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

The Quicktime movie doesn't render for me.....
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#3 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

You'll need to be using Quicktime 7. Most people who have had problems have been using a lower version of Quicktime. Or alternatively, try VLC or one of the other open source viewers.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:11 AM

The Cocos Islands are like home to me, my favorite place to go for large pelagics and been there about 10 times already. Especially for long distance wide angle shots, may I suggest that you manually focus. It is clear to me that you are shootiing in auto focus and for any kind of a finished film, a subject that goes in and out of focus is unusable. Alcyone is pretty deep so you might want to open up your exposure a tad to lighten things up.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.