• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:42 PM

Just had another flood due to a crimped port O-ring. It could not be seen from either inside nor outside the housing but it crimped. I had to change the O-ring for another (camera and lens survived because I am so nervous about floods now I test the housing by dunking it before evry dive.)

When I checked mt bag of spare O-rings (all the latest blue type) I found that they were slightly smaller, not in cross section but in length. This meant that the replacement fitted snugly into the groove rather than slopping about as the ones originally suppled with ports and extension ring do. In fact they fit just like they do on every other housing by other manufacturers I have.

My question is: Which is the recommended O-ring? The one that fits snugly with no chance of getting crimped as you turn the bayonet or the ones supplied with the equipment. The difference is tiny but just about enough to be able to lay the smaller O-ring inside the larger.

Do not confuse this question with one about the older thin black O-rings that came with older Subal kit. All the O-rings in question are new and blue.

This Subal housing is turning me into a nervous wreck!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

John,

Most O-rings get longer with age. But since these came new with the housing they should be fine. If the black ones are getting 'crimped' then it makes sense to use the smaller blue ones.

I don't have any blue o-rings on my housing - and I am not having any issues with the black ones.

Sorry to hear about your flood. :) Glad it wasn't terminal. :D

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 23 July 2006 - 01:44 AM

Hi Alex,

I don't think Steve is aware that the O-rings are supplied in different lengths because he didn't understand the question either. This is nothing to do with the older thinner-in-cross-section black O-rings.

All the (blue) O-rings were bought at the same time. As for O-rings getting longer, do you have a grandmother and does she suck eggs? !!! My hair is grey - not blonde. :D

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 kidsdream

kidsdream

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:26 AM

Tough luck.

Just a suggestion, but your port 'O' Ring issue might be caused by insuffient grease on the 'O' ring.

Ryan made it clear to me when I picked up my Subal housing that this was one 'O' ring that need a good amount of lubing up to prevent it from getting pinched.

I only have 15 dives or so on this rig, but I have been water tight to date.
Jeff

Nikon D200, Subal ND20 w/ULCS Handles, (2) Inon 220S strobes along with 12 -24 and 60mm Nikon lenses

#5 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:28 PM

Doesn't Subal use a hinged backplate these days vs 2 latches? This could have a bearing on accidently pinching the o-ring. Some of the colored o-rings, especially the red silicone ones, will absorb grease over time which results in elongation & swelling to the point where they will no longer fit properly. Live is easier with all buna (black) o-rings in everything. No special grease for one thing & a different grease for another thing. Just a good grade of generic silicone grease.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#6 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

That sucks, I've got no recommendation on the O'rings them selves. Mine have been fine for several hundreds of dives. One thing I might suggest is also greasing the threads that you're scewing the port into as I've done this since day one. Makes the connecting smoother. Sorry man. That's not fun to deal with I'm sure.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#7 Sven

Sven

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:technical diving, caves

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:27 AM

I have a new nd20, it has all black O rings, no blue ones.
My pictures
ND20, 17-55, 105VR and Tokina 10-17