• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 12:30 PM

Here's the potential irony of the full frame sensors as I see it (you Canon guys ignore this):

With the advent of the 12-24 DX lens, the cropped sensor cameras may well become preferred for wide angle due to the cost and size of the lens and associated ports, while the full frame sensor cameras may be preferred for macro due to the better utilization of the various macro lenses (remember you can manually crop a full frame image to achieve equivalent results).

I could see someone using their 14n-class camera for macro, then switching to their S2 for wide angle. Wonder if we'll see any good macro lenses in the DX class?
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#22 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 03:17 PM

OK, let's talk full-frame vs APS sized sensor for a bit.

Remember, the larger the photosites, the lower the dynamic range, and the more noise. So, I would rather spread my 14 million (x4) photosites over a full frame sensor and make them bigger, than try to squeeze them into the smaller sensor footprint.

With that said, all $$$$$ being equal (which hasn't happened yet), I would take the full-frame with 35mm lenses anyday, over the smaller sensor with shorter focal lengths.

But that's just my opinion. And since I own the S2, I am totally drooling over the 12-24mm lens.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#23 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 04:53 PM

That's why I say the full-framer is better for macro. It really makes it better for wide angle, too. The 20mm is quite small already. No doubt the S2/D100 and 12-14 would be less money than a full-frame camera with the 17-25.

Still, I find this interesting.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#24 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 04:50 AM

James, the smaller (less deep) the photosite, the lower potential dynamic range because it reduces the charge capacity. On the other hand, larger pixels (i.e. a larger charge capacity) don't always mean a greater dynamic range, unless the noise is also reduced. In addition, the larger the pixels, the greater the potential for moire patterns, aliasing, artifacts, and other noise.

Sensor size relative to the number of pixels can also affect noise. If you pack more pixels into the same size sensor the pixels get smaller and there is a greater probability of electronic interference which creates noise, thereby reducing dynamic range.

It's all becoming moot. Megapixels and pixel size won't matter much any more. It's how the signals are processed that will generate wider dynamic range. That's where the science is going.

That's all I'm going to say about photosites/pixels/noise. Techie talk bores me. Somebody post some photos.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#25 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 05:55 AM

OK, so enter the photo contest then Scorpio...:-P I just uploaded my entry. Not my best shot ever, but you've got to start somewhere...

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#26 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 06:39 AM

Can't. I only have a handful of housed digital shots. None in this category. Still got plenty of Velvia.

I had 6 rolls of Velvia in the fridge before Cayman, bought some more thinking I'd be able to use all but one roll. Came back with 9. Duh!!!
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#27 landlockedinTN

landlockedinTN

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 09:08 PM

[quote]The new Kodak 14n will be in the shops by next month I was informed yesterday. The UK price will be 4225.00 for the body only. I was pleased to see that it comes with a 10-pin remote facility too. The Singapore/HK price will be 30% of that.

Although it has less features than the EOS 1Ds it is equally rugged, half the weight and far less ugly. Housings may be more practical too, taking some advantages off the rc port.

At full res TIFF files arrive at 41 Mb!

ISO speeds 80 - 800 in 1/3 increments and D-TTL flash control. Multiple memory options etc.

The new Leica Digilux 1 (based around TOR Panasonic electronics) looks a great package: Classic Leica looks - Easy to house and comes with an incredibly sharp Leica zoom lens. It focuses down to just 1 cm.
The rear LD screen is an unbelievable 2.5" complete with removable shade. It comes with a 64 Mb SD card Li rechargeable battery kit and hotshoe.
The images I have seen in varying conditions are amonst the best digital I have yet seen and it's only 4 Mp's!

Cost in UK is 749.00 Singapore 30% less. Website - ]Here

KODAK:
SITE[/quote]
[QUOTE]incredibly sharp Leica zoom lens. It focuses down to just 1 cm.

The Lecia website indicated that it focuses to 6cm in macro.
I too am interested in this camera, but am having some trouble finding info on it. It seems to get mixed reviews. The main complaint is storage capacity (in TIFF format you can only get about 20 shots on a 128mb smartmedia (RAW not avail)). however, if lag is virtually nonexistant I am still interested. ANYONE have experience w/ this camera?

#28 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 18 February 2003 - 03:30 AM

Try this website they had a review of the Leica last month and the 1cm info...

Digital Camera buyer

Jessops are due to stock the Leica. Their website is here

Did you try B & H in NY?

#29 landlockedinTN

landlockedinTN

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 09:29 PM

Buying it is no problem, just finding conclusive info on it was difficult. I was excited about the prospect of nearly nonexistant lag times, but decided to get a Oly 5050 for it's 1.8 lens and AA battery usage.

#30 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 22 March 2003 - 12:48 AM

Kodak 14N - first look, compared to Canon 1Ds:

http://luminous-land...n-initial.shtml

Looks extremely noisy.

From Michael @ Luminous Landscape: "In the meantime I am reluctant to draw any conclusions. Looking initially and strictly at a few selected aspects of image quality, and nothing else, I am concerned that what I am seeing is not up to the standards that potential purchasers should expect from a $5,000 DSLR. But, I will continue to test the camera further and will look at a great many other considerations over the next few days."
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#31 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 04:42 PM

Kodak 14N review at Steve's Digicams. (a link to his conclusions)
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -

#32 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 05:42 AM

Another less than positive 14n review:

http://www.robgalbra...cid=7-6131-6139

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.