• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 03:21 AM

With all this talk of white balancing, I thought I'd share a nifty little plug-in often overlooked... the CGM's DVE vol 1, which has a plug-in for white balancing video.
So what's the difference between that and FCP's own color correction plug in? FCP's color correction tool is an awesome plug in but it is rather complicated to master and learn the ins and outs properly.
With this plug-in, you can have the choice of finetuning the RGB channels through a simple interface and also where the color correction applies to.. high, mids or low levels.
Posted Image
You can also choose to spot the "white" using the one touch function. It's not as accurate as the one touch on Color Correction and needs finetuning anyhow. But the interface is clean and results instantaneous.
Posted Image
As you can see, the results are good for a few touches of button. Obviously FCP's own Color Correction 3 way is more powerful and sophisticated. But for a free plug-in included in FCP 3, it is a very easy tool to use and the results are good.
You can upgrade to version 1.4 for $99. It's a worthwhile C-note investment.

CGM DVE Vol1 link

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:20 AM

Is this only for FCP or can anyone use this ???

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:49 AM

Sorry Dean it's a Final Cut only plug in.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

HA !!! I did not need it anyway my WB is perfect... :D

Now where's my red sweet wrapper..

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:43 AM

I wrote a review on the CGM plug ins a few years ago but have never really used the WB one. Thanks for sharing that, will try it this afternoon and check the results. For me, being color blind, color correcting is difficult which is why I shoot everything perfectly the first time so I do not need to color correct..........I also have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:01 PM

Will it work for Final Cut Express?
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#7 peacedog

peacedog

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

Steve:

I can't believe there's another guy who does what we do that wrestles with colorblindness. I thought I was the only one.

Thanks for making me feel like less of a freak.
Sony Z1U
L&M Bluefin HD
LiquidAssets TV

#8 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

Peacedog, hey, what's wrong with me now and then getting a little bit of my freak on?

;)
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:22 PM

Dave, the plug-in works with FCE. And please Wetpixel is not a dating forum. If you get your freak on on a wetpixel trip, that's fine however. ;)

Dog, 1 in 10 men have some sort color perception problem. One of my exes say it's really 3/4 of all men since they can't dress well, but she's biased and has no X chromosome.

Drew

#10 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

Ahem...

Drew, I do have to point out that she has no Y chromosome, and two X's ;)

Too many Y's is a problem, too many X's is a problem (ie more than two, though some would argue that two is too many :D). None at all is not compatible with life.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

Craig I have to point out... she's an ex... so she has no X or Y to me.

Drew

#12 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

Touche, as the PC says ;)
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

It's alright mate, you've been married too long to harbor ill-feelings for exes. Plus you missed the subtlety of that comment.

Drew

#14 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

It's alright mate, you've been married too long to harbor ill-feelings for exes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't tell my first wife, she might try and contact me again ;)

Getting this thread back on track, I know that y'all in the video forum spend a lot of time talking about white balancing, but to be honest with you I don't know that I see that much footage that has been white balanced/color corrected for broadcast. You yourself once commented something along the lines of people sort-of expect the blues in the distance and colours from lights effect. Am I just not seeing it because the job is done so well that things look "right" without looking "corrected", am I insensitive to proper white balancing, or is the ability to white balance becoming more important now that it is "possible".

Thoughts?

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

If you are saying of late, I'd say the post production work of many underwater shows are pretty shabby (for fear of bringing up that pay thing again).
That said, every serious shoot I've been(seen/read about/heard of ) white balance. Most post try to match the color of the water, since shots could be sourced from different locations.
EG,I know of an award winning show which combined clips of whales from 2 different oceans, one green water other blue. To a layperson, they managed to conceal the fact.

Drew

#16 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

I was told when I was younger, that the military used to use color blind soldiers to spot camoflaug(sic) from airplanes because color blind folk were just better able to see things that didn't quite match. Maybe those of us who are color blind really see things the way they should be and it is everyone else who is really color blind. We're just in the minority I guess.

It is important to have correct WB but for many years most shooters relied on the cams auto wb and did fairly well. WB has become the big topic for the moment but there are much more important aspects to shooting....like holding the damn cam steady, getting low, having a housing you can depend on etc.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.