• Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

#281 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Loftus,,
You should know that some things, like death, taxes and my wife's constant shopping never end.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#282 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

I'm with Steve on the "tip what you can afford" statement, you shouldn't feel intimidated to payout enormous amounts for tips thats ridiculous ... Most people choose their careers so if you don't like your wages get another, more well paid, job... Simples :)

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#283 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:13 AM

How about TRIP WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD ! If you can't afford to tip don't do the trip....why screw the little guy who probably does most of the work?

If your career allows you to take trips but not to tip...maybe it's time to switch your career so you can afford the tip? Why or why not, because careers are not always easy to change!

Just my thoughts....Peace
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#284 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

How about TRIP WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD ! If you can't afford to tip don't do the trip....why screw the little guy who probably does most of the work?

If your career allows you to take trips but not to tip...maybe it's time to switch your career so you can afford the tip? Why or why not, because careers are not always easy to change!

WTF! That's the best quote I've heard lol your comment is a type of bullying what gives you the right to tell anyone where they can and cannot go! Tips are tips NOT taxes if people do not want to tip then Tough!!! ... Well I have heard people changing companies because of the 'tip policy' of that particular boat. if i saved up to go on a big trip I wouldn't expect to pay extra thousands in bloody tips to people who 'chose' the job in the first place!? I don't care if the guide 'stroked my balls with a smile' if I don't tip then that's up to me ...

Maybe next time I do a shoot for the BBC I should ask for 15% extra for smiling and helping the others with their gear... :)
(just in case any Beeb prods are looking, I was only kidding :) )

Dean

Edited by DeanB, 30 January 2012 - 09:38 AM.

Facebook me ;)

#285 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Mike I agree that you should only take a vacation you can afford but I do think there is relevant discussion regarding tipping and policies for tipping.
My thoughts on this are more geared towards boat owners setting "policies" (which is discovered after you book a trip) so he can pay lower wages and make more profit by getting us to pay more of his labor cost. From my perspective if the owner of the live aboard charged $300 (or whatever amount) more per person to pay his people better and said the trip was all inclusive including tips I think most would be happier then finding out after booking we are somewhat expected to pony up $500-700 per person for tipping.
I don't think I am a cheapskate, I was a bartender for 10 years and fully understand tipping. I always tip 20% for good service at restaurants and I always tip my divemasters after my dives on a day boat. My thoughts of this is geared to liveaboards and all inclusive resorts.
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#286 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:37 AM

WTF! That's the best quote I've heard lol your comment is a type of bullying what gives you the right to tell anyone where they can and cannot go! Tips are tips NOT taxes if people do not want to tip then Tough!!! ... Well I have heard people changing companies because of the 'tip policy' of that particular boat. if i saved up to go on a big trip I wouldn't expect to pay extra thousands in bloody tips to people who 'chose' the job in the first place!? I don't care if the guide 'stroked my balls with a smile' if I don't tip then that's up to me ...

Maybe next time I shoot or the BBC I should ask for 15% extra for smiling and helping the others with their gear... ;)

Dean

Eaaassyy Dean...I mean no disregard & sorry I ruffled your feathers :) I haven't being keeping up with this forum post....In general people should go on trips they can afford, which include modest tips to the dive masters and the little guys that don't get paid shit for all their hard work....Don't go on trips you can barely afford knowing you won't tip...that's just wrong! I stick by the career statement...If anyone could change their career at will we'd all be wealthy, free, and happy....maybe then there would be no need to tip.

Peace!! :)
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#287 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Eaaassyy Dean...I mean no disregard & sorry I ruffled your feathers :) I haven't being keeping up with this forum post....In general people should go on trips they can afford, which include modest tips to the dive masters and the little guys that don't get paid shit for all their hard work....Don't go on trips you can barely afford knowing you won't tip...that's just wrong! I stick by the career statement...If anyone could change their career at will we'd all be wealthy, free, and happy....maybe then there would be no need to tip.

Peace!! :)

:) sorry I obviously didn't put enough 'Lol' in I was a little shocked with the comment but not offended, hence the lack of angry expletives ;) ... Obviously people should only go on trips they can afford! Although that would pee off some credit card companies :) however i will stick by my comment and say 'tips' should be thankfully accepted but never expected, especially 'big buggers' I agree that career changed can be difficult however you have to choose the job and it's pay deals in the first place! Tips are great I have had a few in my 23yrs however I always give my best and if tipped that's a bonus! I never expect one

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#288 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Some of us might be missing the point here. There are those who can not afford to go on regular dive trips period. They just can't quit their jobs and get a higher paying job. That is not practical or realistic. So now they save, and save, and save, to finally be able to go on their 'trip of a lifetime'. They worked hard for this vacation and deserve to go. Now they go, get good service and have a fine time. They worked hard and deserved the trip. However, for a couple, paying another grand in a tip may well be beyond their capabilities. They should tip what they can afford, period. For some that tip will be large and for the others it might be smaller but large to them on their limited income. Remember that this thread was started by my conversation with several crew people from different boats around the world who made the observation that only Americans really tip anyway. Now that is a blanket statement and we all know that is not true of every Asian or European but are Americans supposed to pay and make up for the lack of European and Asian tips?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#289 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

are Americans supposed to pay and make up for the lack of European and Asian tips?

That would be great! ... Cheers Steve

Seriously all your statement I agree with :) people shouldn't be bullied into giving huge tips ... I can see why 'crew' posters on here want big tips :) lol ...

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#290 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:10 AM

This thread has been dormant for too long
Here's the example for all those excessive American tippers :lol:
http://jobs.aol.com/...test=latestnews
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#291 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have started feeling extremely strongly about tipping lately and I am really sick of it - without getting into an American bashing session - I have to blame it on you.
I could have killed these two young girls we were talking with (21 and 24 years old) and they were asking us what New Zealand is like. Tipping has become a bit of a point of annoyance for us travelling through Central America, where it seems that the constant flow of tips has created the normalcy of tipping and it being automatically added. We said to these girls, "Please, don't tip in NZ." and we explained why, it's never been a part of what we do until lately but barely so, etc. They looked shocked and then said, "Oh, well - don't worry, we'll still tip."
WILL you, huh?

We also meet a variety of North Americans, some English too that feel the need to tip 15 to 20% for any old meal or service anywhere in NZ. C'mon guys.

Can you plead with the rest of your countrymen (Also Canadians, anyone who thinks it's correct to tip as par for course.) to just NOT do it in places where it isn't the culture? We come to your country, swallow it and tip despite the fact we think it's stupid so can you respect us and not just do it, especially in places like Aussie, NZ, the Pacific islands.

It just makes me see red and Jesus, those two girls... :|
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#292 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

"It just makes me see red and Jesus, those two girls... :|"

Thanks MITHERE, you just made my day....I'm done f^&*#NG tipping!

Give my best to red, Jesus, and the two girls when you see them......... :D
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#293 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

"It just makes me see red and Jesus, those two girls... :|"

Thanks MITHERE, you just made my day....I'm done f^&*#NG tipping!

Give my best to red, Jesus, and the two girls when you see them......... :D

Jesus said "Stop tipping."
There you go, it came right from the top.
:D
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#294 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

Hey Mithere,
But what did Moses, Mohammed and Buddah say about tipping?
How are people supposed to know if tipping is ok or not? Now I at least know that if I ever get to NZ, I will know not to tip but what of other countries. Do we ask the waiter in France if I should tip or not. He'd probably be reluctant to say no and leave his pocket just a bit barer. I always tip but I tip what I can afford.....except for my future trip to NZ
Steve

Edited by Steve Douglas, 09 May 2012 - 07:45 AM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#295 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

How are people supposed to know if tipping is ok or not?

The repository of all human knowledge.

#296 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

A tip the way some people use it, is like a bribe or as compensation for wanting more then what was purchased, it can make workers stray from giving everyone who paid a fair deal- it can undermine the MO of that business.
A lot of tippers are queue jumpers who pay their way out of their unfair behaviors- with more dollars then sense!
If I ever tip, it's after the service is rendered and it's because- A) I like the person B) I got more then I expected for the price. It would take both those factors to make me even think about tipping.

I like companies which pool the tips and share them equally, as it creates a team attitude and creates limits to disproportionate service(tipped 10% but got 30% more then someone who paid the same base rate, but couldn't afford to do a tip).
I like companies that are small enough so it's hard for staff to get away with giving poor service and you get more personality/character with it- it's not just a business transaction.

These days I am too busy seeing if I am getting short changed, which is probably due to people expecting a tip without having to work for it.........Like a doctor that over charges, just to get the latest E-class.

#297 dirtydave

dirtydave

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

Mithere, I've spent some time traveling, working in Aus. The culture doesn't seem to support tipping and guess what? Service sucks! The service providers all have an attitude that service is beneath them! Having worked in the service industry for many years (put myself through uni delivering pizzas) I never expect a tip but I am sure going to tip when I want.

I well remember the great feeling I got being appreciated for my labour. Yea, the employer should be paying the staff a fair wage but often the little guy at the bottom is not paid. I hate the idea of sharing tips. I want the individual who gave me the good service to get the money. These days I am grateful that I am able to help the little guy at the bottom of the pay scale. I don't tip the captain or officers but the guy who sees to my equipment every day, who humps my tanks in and out of the boat. The underappreciated local guy (or woman) who makes my life a little better. These people need every penny they can get and I am pleased that I am in a position to give a little.

I also don't try and get the cheapest service or goods I can. I'd much rather know that I'm helping the local economy rather than saving a million idr What goes around comes around. I am shocked at the attitude many westerners have towards tipping when traveling. I hear from dive guides/service providers of certain people from ( insert country here ) who are the most demanding yet never tip. Cheap priicks who should stay at home and abuse their own countrymen.