#1 spaceflight

spaceflight

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:13 PM

Hey Everybody,
I just thought I would check with all of you and see what you think about the latest camera announcements from Canon.
The details can be found here. http://www.usa.canon...fcategoryid=172

Joe

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:33 PM

Darn I've been scooped.
As for the cameras, well they look very good although actual specs (lux rating etc) are skimpy. I checked the japanese website and found a lot more specs than the US one (which is usually the case).
Canon historically have had a slightly different look to their, more saturated and less sharpened/contrasty compared to Sony. These cameras look like direct competitors to the FX/Z1 from Sony, with the FX1 the bigger target. With direct HD SDI out, slightly higher res VF and LCD plus even more picture adjustments, Canon is taking aim at the FX1. The Z1 still has dual NTSC/PAL advantage. But 20X zoom, HD SDI, Genlock etc are going to be big sells for many shooters.
HOWEVER, the problem for the u/w shooter is the availability of housings too. Even with Lanc controls, housings for Canon have been a very short list, esp on the electronic housing segment. Canons tend to have a lot more buttons on the outside for controls which may make housing manufacturers cringe but helluva more useable to the shooter.
I guess we'll see in Oct. What surprises me more is the compact HDV market. No one but JVC and Sony seem to care about that segment for now. And the HC3, A1 GR10 are all lacking as "real" cameras.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:34 PM

Well as luck would have it, I'll be checking out the production model next month. The specs look very similar to the FX/Z1 in terms of lux... 7 japanese lux = 3 US lux.
The CCDs are higher rez and the overall picture is supposedly up to XHD1 standard. Sounds very nice... now if the housing boys would pick up.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 spaceflight

spaceflight

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

The only difference between the two that I can find is that the G1 model has the professional jack pack with SD/SDI, genlock, etc and the A1 (the cheaper of the two) does not.
Everything else seems to be identical.
Joe Holley

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:20 AM

That is the $2000 difference. And to many it's worth it.

Drew

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

Today, Canon has announced the HV10, its first consumer-oriented HDV camcorder. It features optical image stabilization, a 10x optical zoom, a CMOS sensor, manual exposure, custom white balance, simultaneous stills (2MP) and video, and a vertical grip orientation. MSRP is estimated to be USD $1299.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

My oh my, an HDV onslaught...

Bring on the competiton, bring down the prices and bring down the LUX baby..

The canon equivalent to the Z1 looks good especially if it takes the stills lenses.. :D

Will have to wait for the Sony retaliatory strike..

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#8 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:17 PM

Speaking of retaliatory strike by Sony, I would like to see something along the lines/size of Sony HC1 or HC3 but with a lower lux and 3 chips and a telemacro.........now THAT's What I'm Talkin About!
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#9 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:02 AM

Speaking of retaliatory strike by Sony, I would like to see something along the lines/size of  Sony HC1 or HC3 but with a lower lux and 3 chips and a telemacro.........now THAT's What I'm Talkin About!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you Dave.

We can already see they are keeping their track record with the consumer line and upgrading every 6 months or so.

Key question. Will Sony follow their history and upgrade their prosumer line slowly ?

I'm in a position to upgrade my TRV900 to a compact HD camcorder NOW. Question is should I buy the A1 or will their be a legitimate A1 replacement in the fall and if they to replace it, will it really offer a clear improvement ?

What do you guys think ?

#10 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6176 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:06 AM

Ron, i think you are better off to wait... its about that time for an ugrade

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:35 AM

It'll be another 6 months or so. They still have full channels of A1s hence the rebate after 6mths of release. It's a decent camera but hardly worth the "professional" tag.
Ron, you can always wait for the next great thing and it will come. I think if you want HDV now, the A1/HC1 is a decent camera. Manufacturers will start to bombard the HDV market before the year is out. WA options are limited uw for the A1 unless you go nuts for the Fathoms UWA. The lowlight ability for the camera is decent for the size and resolution. If you want something to hold onto for 3-4 years, look at the Canon A1 and wait for housing manufacturers to step up. Because of the slimmer body to the Z1, housings should be smaller. And the picture from the Canon , if anything like the XL HD1 will be very nice.

Drew

#12 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:06 AM

HEY THERE...You just wait a god damn minute :o

A1 not worthy for a 'pro'cam...

How dare you sir..

HOW DARE YOU...

I love my baby, she's the best (i can afford) to me.

Take that back or I'm not going to come and help you out in the future. (£450 a day plus expenses)...

"why I oughta" :lol:

Dive safe

DeanB :) :excl: ;) :D
Facebook me ;)

#13 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

My financial situation is I have to buy this year. That includes the housing and camcorder.

Being only an amateur videographer, size and weight are key in my decision. Although I would love the picture quality the larger camcorders offer, I really don't want anything much larger than my TRV900. Does anyone know the dimensions of the Canon A1 ?

So I guess what I am asking is will Sony, Canon, Panasonic have something to directly compete with the Sony A1 this year ? Where is a psychic when you need one ?

#14 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

Dimensions of the Sony A1:

71x103x191...Excluding projecting parts. (straight from the guide)

Its smaller than my TRV950 and lighter.

You sound like your in ther same situ as me. Although I'd look at the Canon version it all depends on housings. The A1 has a good choice.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

Sigh Dean, far from me to be a snob about cameras but when was the last time a pro camera had LCD touch screen controls for OIS. shutter speed and other vital functions?
With a CANON A1, you'd be worth £450, with a sony A1 however... you just get expenses. ;)

A1 not worthy for a 'pro'cam...
HOW DARE YOU...
Take that back or I'm not going to come and help you out in the future. (£450 a day plus expenses)...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ron
Right now, the Sony A1 has a $500 rebate and plenty of stock. It is also the only one with one push WB in small size form factor. I seriously doubt there'll be a A3, looking at the sales of the A1. Sony is replacing the H series every 10 mths or so.The A1 is already 1 year old and still no announcements. Check when the rebate expires and wait til then. Also make sure you choose your housing carefully with an AF on/off switch. With a WA lens on, the AF hunts a bit too much.

My financial situation is I have to buy this year.  That includes the housing and camcorder.

Being only an amateur videographer, size and weight are key in my decision.  Although I would love the picture quality the larger camcorders offer, I really don't want anything much larger than my TRV900.  Does anyone know the dimensions of the Canon A1 ?

So I guess what I am asking is will Sony, Canon, Panasonic have something to directly compete with the Sony A1 this year ?  Where is a psychic when you need one ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drew

#16 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hell, I thought all you guys were all rich beyond my dreams. At least I know that Mark is wealthy and practically owns the Republic of Palau.
Actually, the pic of the Canon reminds me of the Sony PC110. Not the best size or shape configuration for good solid and still shooting. Using the A1-U, I find that the zoom control just sucks, nothing you can't get used to but the consumer shouldn't have to. The footage, however, I find to be outstanding. My next cam will be when either Sony, Panasonic or Canon comes out with a somewhat smaller HD based cam at a reasonable price with large capacity and far less expensive cards. I see no point in upgrading for minor returns.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

Are you comparing the new HV10 with the Sony PC110? or the canon XLH1 to the PC110? ;)
Ron is upgrading from DV to HDV and other than the resolution of HDV, everything else is a downgrade from the TRV900. Worse low light performance, OIS sucks, AF is not as precise, controls in the LCD (cost cutting at the cost of ergonomics).

Drew

#18 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

Ron
Right now, the Sony A1 has a $500 rebate and plenty of stock. It is also the only one with one push WB in small size form factor. I seriously doubt there'll be a A3, looking at the sales of the A1. Sony is replacing the H series every 10 mths or so.The A1 is already 1 year old and still no announcements. Check when the rebate expires and wait til then. Also make sure you choose your housing carefully with an AF on/off switch. With a WA lens on, the AF hunts a bit too much.

That's a good idea Dru. The rebate goes until Sept 30. So by then it should be a little more clear on what will happen with the A1.

Of course I have a trip scheduled for Oct 15, so it looks like my old 900 will do at least 1 more trip.

#19 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6176 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

The 900 is a great camera Ron...

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#20 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:01 PM

[Hell, I thought all you guys were all rich beyond my dreams. At least I know that Mark is wealthy and practically owns the Republic of Palau.]

;) :D :) :excl: :lol: :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best thing 've heard all year. Shame they haven't got one these smileys pissing himself laughing too. Jeez that one would be pasted from here to eternity......

Steve. I have a great concession here but it is a hard slog. I'm taking the opportunity now to go HD with all the whistles and bells whilst I can. Slow season next year will let me know if this move has paid off. It wasn't three years ago that I was living in my damn office, couldn't afford rent but dived everyday. Thats dedication my man.

Cheers,
Mark.
.......can you lend me a fiver ???????? ......... hahahaha

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -