• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:33 AM

I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of a Nikon 105mm VR macro lens. The old 105mm was my second most productive lens (after the 10.5mm Fisheye) and it is great to have some new improved glass as a replacement for this spot in my arsenal.

When the zoom gear is retracted properly - a la Dave B (thanks, Dave) - and with my new custom port the lens fits easily and doesn't touch the housing or the port at any point. ;) :D

A few of you have asked me about the custom port - and I emailed the guy who made it - but he isn't interested in making any more (despite me telling him there was a demand) - so it is a one off for the moment. Sorry. I guess that Subal users will be waiting for Subal to come through with one.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:36 AM

On a related matter - Nikon UK told me today that the 5T and 6T close-up dioptres that fit this lens have been discontinued. Which I was very surprised about. Anyone have any they want to sell to me!

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:39 AM

Oh and while I was there I also picked up a new secret weapon - which I am sure will also see some service in Bali... That one is a secret until I have the pix...

Alex

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:39 AM

congrats Alex

but your second post doesn't make a lot of sense does it? ON nikon's part, not yours.. ;)

strange

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:41 AM

Oh and while I was there I also picked up a new secret weapon - which I am sure will also see some service in Bali... That one is a secret until I have the pix...

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I AM the camera store in Yap.... :glare: ;) :D

Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:48 AM

I agree, but this was direct from Nikon UK. Not through a rep or anything.

This is just a guess, but I think that the 5T and 6T were originally made for the 60mm macro lens (which has a 62mm front filter). And possibily have been discontinued because of lack of demand over the last few years. Fitting a dioptre onto a 60mm lens gives you awkwardly short working distances.

The new 105mm VR also has a 62mm front filter - and these lenses would be ideal. In fact they are even mentioned in the instructions with the lens...

If these filters have been discontinued my only guess is that it is various branches of Nikon not talking to each other!!

Furthermore Canon's equivalent to the T series double element close-up dioptres is the 500D. But annoyingly they don't make one in a 62mm fit.

Alex

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:10 AM

This is my port, buy the way. 95mm internal diameter, as you can see the lens fits very easily:

Attached Images

• IMG_1528.jpg

#8 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:12 AM

Oh and I haven't actually adjusted the zoom gear yet - although i have inserted my © Alex Mustard two pence temporary fix. ;) Although this solution is only available to users in the UK :D

This solution makes sure that the zoom gear is clear of the lens.

Attached Images

• IMG_1529.jpg

#9 DuikKees

DuikKees

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:36 AM

Alex,

I don't understand, if you need a diopter why don't you take a B+W or other brand?

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

The Canon D500 and the Nikon 4T, 5T & 6T are all double element dioptres - which offer improved optics over the single element diopters. I am not sure that B+W or other brands offer these double element dioptres.

I sometimes see fringing and other CA in the corners of high magification shots with strong diopters - and therefore want to invest in the best ones I can get.

Alex

#11 DuikKees

DuikKees

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:33 AM

Aha, there isn't a day going by without learning here on WP. ;)

#12 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:55 AM

On a related matter - Nikon UK told me today that the 5T and 6T close-up dioptres that fit this lens have been discontinued. Which I was very surprised about. Anyone have any they want to sell to me!

Alex

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Alex,

I checked that lens out at PMA and it looks like a great piece of glass. I have a 5T I could sell you, any chance you will be at DEMA in Orlando, Fl? Let me know if you don't find one before then.

Phil Rudin

#13 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for that Phil. I would be keen to take you up on it. Are you not able to fit it onto one of your Oly lenses?

I would say I am about 90% sure I am not going to be at DEMA, unfortunately. Actually I am not sure that I can go anyway - not being a diving pro or industry type.

Alex

#14 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

I have been experimenting with the VR on this lens and I am impressed. It works very nicely indeed, both at long camera to subject distances and at macro settings. I am very much looking forward to trying it for long exposure macro underwater.

Here is a sample shot - sorry for the subject matter - taken at 9pm UK time in the ambient light (not much) coming in through my window.

Exposure time 1/3 sec - equivalent focal length 150mm.

Alex

Attached Images

• VR_DSC0118.jpg

#15 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:26 PM

I hope the folks at DEMA don't see that... you def won't be invited..

hahahaha

#16 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

Alex-
You know that Bonaire is THE place for macro shots and unless you show up the only AF105VR shots displayed will be MINE!

Now you could hop down to Amsterdam and fly over and give me some pointers. We'll be there for 2 weeks starting a week from Saturday. WE could probably find room on the couch for you.

Tom

#17 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1542 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:57 PM

You could use the Canon 500D in 72 mm size with an adapter if it will fit in the port. Although probably the 105 would break seeing Canon on the front.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#18 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, I have ordered a Canon 500D in 72mm - since I have the 72mm filter taking Sigma 150mm. But Canon UK can't give me a delivery time on that either, because they don't have one in stock, and my dealer, a major Canon Pro dealer says if Canon UK don't have it in stock it will probably be a couple of months...

I also ordered a 62-72mm step-up ring (so I can use the Canon filter on the Nikon), which is the only thing that was in stock and should have that in a couple of days.

Alex

#19 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:06 AM

Ever heard of this lens?

http://usa.zoerk.com/pages/p_mcs.htm

is a 2 element aspherical 12 diopter lens...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#20 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:34 AM

Alex,

There are some 72mm 500D filters on ebay at the moment (coming from Hong Kong):

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

they usually arrive within a few days. I've bought from this guy before & seems reliable.

Fergus
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website