• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

Hi all, Julie and I did two back to back trips in may 2006 on the Stardancer around Kimbe Bay, PNG. Check out our tripreport and image gallery.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#2 thatporchdawg

thatporchdawg

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

Awesome gallery. I love the leaf fish. Best example of mimcry I've ever seen! ;)
Ken Bean
Aquatica - Canon 20D - Sigma 50, Canon 100 & Sigma 15FE - Sea&Sea YS90-DXs

#3 SilvioMarchena

SilvioMarchena

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

[quote name='cor' date='Aug 3 2006, 01:44 PM']
"Hi all, Julie and I did two back to back trips in may 2006 on the Stardancer around Kimbe Bay, PNG. Check out our trip report"

Ha ha ha ha, this reminds me of a cruise on lammer law some years ago. My wife, myself and a couple from Miami were joined onboard by a group from Germany. While they certainly talked to us and were great boatmates in general, they drank so much that they were flagged from diving after Day 2 and were told they would have to sit out 1 drinkless day before being allowed in the water again.

Guess what! They didn't care and they never stopped drinking. For the remainder of the 10 day trip each couple got it's own panga. What a way to dive Darwin and Wolf! My wife, myself and a very very happy and unstressed dive guide! (sorry "naturalist")

Watching this bunch on the land tours was an unbelievable pleasure. Them stepping from the panga to the shore, and vice-versa, became a "had to" photo op. Supper was one huge laugh. They had a great time, we had a great time with them and we had the smallest dive group in Galapagos I have ever experienced.

Nice report. I hit Kimbe again next year and am considering a side trip on Febrina afterwards.
Cheers,
Manaul

D2x in Seacam w Z-240s or SS200s, superdome and flat port, S45 and S180, 10.5, 12-24, 14, 17-35, 60, 105, 200, Seacam Wet Diopters

#4 SilvioMarchena

SilvioMarchena

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

By the way Cor, thank you for "crepuscular". It seems doubtful I would have ever been exposed to that word at any other time or place ;)
Cheers,
Manaul

D2x in Seacam w Z-240s or SS200s, superdome and flat port, S45 and S180, 10.5, 12-24, 14, 17-35, 60, 105, 200, Seacam Wet Diopters

#5 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

Great report and fantastic gallery. I am taking two different groups there, same boat for two back to back trips late in 2007. I was actually thinking that this was to be more of a scenic reef and fishy trip but form your gallery I was pleasantly surprised to see plenty of cool critters in there too! Though if you had Elsie onboard with you she'd find the stuff, she's a great lass and a true pelasure to dive with, I dived with her onboard Febrina in Milne Bay. I will be hoping to have Elsie onboard with my groups in Walindi area!

Now I can't wait to get back there myself to go in full search mode for all these great critters, last time we only dived (I'm English folks and a dove is a bird like a pidgeon) Walindi in this region, I loved it even though we had terrible viz'!

I would also highly recomend trying to get onboard Febrina when they do Milne Bay, they really do this area great justice. A few friends ask me to take them to Tawali. I had told them that the diving was all further afield from Tawali, however the marketing people from Tawali done a job on my friends. By the time I was back from my trips they had us booked up for 11 nights in Tawali. Oh well, we can make the most of this I thought! Quiet difficult though - if no guides wasn't enough -- the boat skipper, a great guy, however no idea of what serious divers really liked. I mean -- some of the reefs we dived were in terrible condition compared to those we saw on Febrina. There are a few great dives near Tawali but no where near enough for a long trip. I could keep going on but basically if you want to see the best of Milne Bay dont stay too long at Tawali. Take a liveaboard!

#6 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:36 PM

By the way Cor, thank you for "crepuscular". It seems doubtful I would have ever been exposed to that word at any other time or place  ;)

It's a bit of an inside joke. I was diving with Chris Newbert one day and he did a dive briefing and started to use the word crepuscular. Ofcourse we were all 'no way thats a real word', but he was right :D And it sortof stuck :)

Cor

#7 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:24 AM

great report Cor and Julie

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#8 RebreatherDave

RebreatherDave

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:rebreathers, marine life, mountain biking, flying hang gliders, paragliders and sailplanes.

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

Those photos were REALLY impressive. During your diving in the crepuscular period, did you observe any of the vespertine?

:)
Inspiration Closed Circuit w/Vision electronics
Sony HDR-FX1 3CCD HiDef
Amphibico Phenom
Amphibico dual 35-50 HID's
whatever other toys I can
accumulate b4 I die

#9 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 02:02 PM

Those photos were REALLY impressive. During your diving in the crepuscular period, did you observe any of the vespertine?

:)

We did indeed observe the vespertine, as this crepuscular dive was not in the matutinal period.

Cor

#10 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

It's a bit of an inside joke. I was diving with Chris Newbert one day and he did a dive briefing and started to use the word crepuscular. Ofcourse we were all 'no way thats a real word', but he was right :) And it sortof stuck :)

Cor

Oh, come on guys!! Obviously you all aren't jazz fans or you would have known Thelonious Monk's well-known piece, "Crepuscule With Nellie"; written in the late 1940s for his wife.

I also heard Lisa (formerly of Dive Makai) use the term "crepuscular dive", so maybe Chris got it from Lisa or Lisa from Chris, or both of them from way-cool Thelonious!! B)

Definition, from Dictionary.com (you will see that it is the prefect word to describe a "twilight dive", or a number of other dimly-lit, pre-darkening "activities"....... :D :

"Main Entry: cre·pus·cu·lar
Pronunciation: kri-'p&s-ky&-l&r
Function: adjective
1 : of, relating to, or resembling twilight <crepuscular depths of personality €”William James>
2 : active in the twilight <crepuscular animals>
Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc."
crepuscular. (n.d.). Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary. Retrieved November 25, 2006, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.re...2&q=crepuscular

Carol :)
I luv crepuscular diving!

Edited by seagrant, 25 November 2006 - 03:41 PM.

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17