• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

Just reading over the specs of the newly announced Intel based Mac Desktop machine - Specs are enough to make a grown man cry...

What I wouldn't give for one of these to edit video with... http://www.apple.com.../intelxeon.html

Specs beat the snot out of the Quad G5... Hard drive removal and replacement is sweet...

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#2 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

This is my fault. I just spent 500$ upgrading my G5 with more memory and an upgraded graphics card to run Aperature faster. At least it will keep me from buy a new desktop for at least a year or two.

I see where Apple drop the price of my 30" display to 2000$. The specs on the 20 and 23" were upgraded. I wonder about rumors that the specs on the 30" will be upgraded?
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#3 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for your help Dave! :lol:
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

Not sure I understand the new configurations of the newest G5. It seems like it has 4 different HD slots. Wouldn't that be the same as a single but partioned HD? Also, is ram from previous G5s transferable to this new one?
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

I just calculate the cost of my dream system on the the Apple website.........only $10,647
:lol: :lol: :) :lol:
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

.......only $10,647
:lol:  :)  :)  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only $4,188 for mine (from the Apple store for education). I'll buy RAM and drives elsewhere, Apple is too fond of massive margins on the expansion options.

(but: $12,963 for the ├╝bermachine with 2TB of drives installed, 16GB RAM and a 30" monitor driven by the NVIDIA Quadro Fx :) :lol: )
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#7 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:28 AM

Not sure I understand the new configurations of the newest G5.  It seems like it has 4 different HD slots.  Wouldn't that be the same as a single but partioned HD?  Also, is ram from previous G5s transferable to this new one?
    Steve B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No steve, Partioning one hard drive into 4 partitions would actually be a slower read/write than having seperate drives configured in a RAID 0 - especially with HD footage, a RAID 0 is going to give much better performance than writing to a single drive - Not sure on the RAM, but I don't think it is transferrable - I could be wrong though...

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#8 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:06 AM

Steve:

The RAM in the quad G5's is slower than the RAM specced in the Mac Pro (G5 quad has DDR2-533MHz, Mac Pro has DDR2-667Mhz), and the Mac Pro RAM (from apple at least) has heatsinks. RAM without heatsinks will run too hot and the system then throttles the bandwidth to the memory, rather defeating the purpose of your quadcore 3.0 GHz purchase.

Oh well, hopefully RAM prices will come down once the initial surge of enthusiasm has passed.
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

#9 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1214 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

The new machine is very sweet, but until Photoshop becomes Universal it's all a moot point for me. Running in emulator mode on a G5 is the same speed as my old G4 right now. So I opted for a $250 accelerator card and a faster I/O card for now. Hopefully it'll last me until next year, which is when adobe plans their upgrade.

If I was Apple I would be breathing down their throats. I'm sure there's a lot of us in the same boat.

For those of the Windoze persuasion, the new MacPro is a very viable platform with Boot Camp.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#10 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:11 AM

It just dawned on me that I have not one, not two, but three seriously expensive hobbies that induce terminal gear lust fever. Diving, photography and computers.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

Guys please post in the right forum. Now if you want to talk about how to edit HD with this baby, by all means post in the post production forum.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

Scubadru---Hey this is the perfect place for the discussion...its editing and production right?
I did find out that the G5 ram for either the initial G5s or the Quad(glad I skipped on that one) is definitely not transferable. I do wonder when RamJet will start producing Ram for this new one.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#13 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:19 PM

The new machine is very sweet, but until Photoshop becomes Universal it's all a moot point for me. Running in emulator mode on a G5 is the same speed as my old G4 right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You shouldn't need to be running in "emulator mode" on a G5, Photoshop is PPC native. If you meant "under Rosetta on an Intel Mac" (which is an "emulator mode, but not on a G5...), then it would depend a lot on the G4 you are comparing it to.

Having sat out one technology cycle (the liquid cooled G5 towers), I'm comparing my old 1 GHz G4 to my current 2 GHz Core Duo, and even under Rosetta the Adobe professional applications run appreciably faster than they used to. I would guess that I am seeing about a 25% speed up over the old G4. Sure, it will get better when the Adobe applications are intel native, but there is still a performance benefit from the newer machines that I am quite appreciative of.

#14 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:30 PM

I can't wait to hear from those who have ordered one and start editing HDV to see what their results are - Anyone who has ordered please post on your initial experiences with this machine...

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

Lets vote, all in favor of Cliff being our official Beta tester vote aye! The ayes have it, Cliff, its up to you. :lol:
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#16 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

I guess I need to start a collection drive for this expendeture. :lol:

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

#17 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

One word... WOW!

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#18 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1214 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

You shouldn't need to be running in "emulator mode" on a G5, Photoshop is PPC native. If you meant "under Rosetta on an Intel Mac" (which is an "emulator mode, but not on a G5...), then it would depend a lot on the G4 you are comparing it to.

Having sat out one technology cycle (the liquid cooled G5 towers), I'm comparing my old 1 GHz G4 to my current 2 GHz Core Duo, and even under Rosetta the Adobe professional applications run appreciably faster than they used to. I would guess that I am seeing about a 25% speed up over the old G4. Sure, it will get better when the Adobe applications are intel native, but there is still a performance benefit from the newer machines that I am quite appreciative of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Rosetta, and yes, it is a s/w emulator. I have a 1 GHz G4 too, and achieved the same or better 25%-50% speed increase with a 1.6Ghz card for $300. I looked at the iMacs and with new RAM they were going to push $1800 easily. Buying into a G5 made no sense at all. So I'll wait it out for 8 months or so, and then invest in the latest technology, or more affordable technology, as by that time the new MacPro's will be superseded and cheaper.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#19 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

Cliff, My dime is on its way.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:39 PM

Let's see, for the photo shooter, only Apple's Aperture and Capture One 3.7.3 is faster on macintel. Photoshop, iView, Nikon Capture, Canon DPP etc are all non universal.

For video, Apple's own software are the only ones UB ready. Adobe, Autodesk and others are not on the bandwagon yet.

So software wise, for video, it's ready if you don't use Adobe plug ins or AE. For photo guys, it's not esp if you already have a G5 which will run circles round the Mac Pro for non UB apps like Photoshop.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.