#21 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:53 AM

<snip> iView </snip>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Drew, iView went universal binary with their last update. (Yay!!)

Right after Microsoft bought them (Boo!!, I think)
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

How was I suppose to know if they don't send emails to owners? Plus I was in Africa.

Still all raw converted and no where to go universal binary. :guiness:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

Bibble is UB Drew - don't know if that helps?
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

Anthony, Photoshop which is the mainstay of most post users isn't UB. A G5 quad presently kicks butt and the memory costs 60% less for say 4GB.
You can get 16GB of ram for and have change for a Jam 3 drive install in the G5 and 4 extra drives plus the new X800 graphics card and still have change for a 19" LCD monitor.
My advice is wait til REvB comes out and the ram drops in price.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:11 AM

The company RamJet is an excellent source of high quality ram at good prices. I don't know if they have ram for the new G5s however. Like all boys with toys, I need to sell my current G5 before I buy anything new. If I can only convince that rich guy Mark in Palau that he needs another computer I'd be set.
Steve B)
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#26 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:30 AM

I'm with you guys...

I have a fully loaded quad that just rips on photoshop ,
even though is in only running on rosetta. It does everything I need until CS11 becomes universal.

I guess now is the time to sell the machines while they still have some value !

#27 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

If speed is your only concern, you can of course run windowze on the macintel, there are no PCs faster than this. Or you can wait a few more months for the prices of the current machines to go down and new version of photoshop, etc to show up.

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#28 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:19 AM

FYI, from the Adobe site:

'Will Lightroom run on Intel-based Macintoshes?
Yes. The Macintosh version of Adobe Lightroom beta 3 is a Universal application that will run natively both on PowerPC systems and on the new Intel-based Macintoshes.'

Anyone on board yet and tried this on a Macintel?
Tom

Let's see, for the photo shooter, only Apple's Aperture and Capture One 3.7.3 is faster on macintel. Photoshop, iView, Nikon Capture, Canon DPP etc are all non universal.

For video, Apple's own software are the only ones UB ready. Adobe, Autodesk and others are not on the bandwagon yet.

So software wise, for video, it's ready if you don't use Adobe plug ins or AE. For photo guys, it's not esp if you already have a G5 which will run circles round the Mac Pro for non UB apps like Photoshop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Canon EOS-1Ds MkII and MkIII and Nikon D1X, D2X, D2H cameras. Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 180mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 150D and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.
www.flickr.com/photos/tomkline/

#29 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1513 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 13 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

Dr. Kline:
Works fine on a 17" Imac/Intel, quite fast, but still too much learning curve for us poor chemists.
BVA

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net